Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2012 11:24:18 PM EDT
Since my .gov job fell through, I'm going to look into getting a CDL with a A/B possibly passenger or hazmat certs.   Anyone know where I should start looking for this or anywhere that does training?  If I have to go out of state come summer, so be it, but I want this to be my last winter in retail.  This crap is killing me.

Any other fields I should take a look at?  College is right out currently, so I'm looking for other options.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey NorthPolar, funny you should post this, I am looking at getting some of my guys through to get their class A.  I will watch your thread to see what you find out, and I will post what I find this week for the Anch area.

You in North Pole?  We have a few guys at our Fairbanks store that need to get it done, too, so I will be finding out what they are doing up there if you are up north.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey NorthPolar, funny you should post this, I am looking at getting some of my guys through to get their class A.  I will watch your thread to see what you find out, and I will post what I find this week for the Anch area.

You in North Pole?  We have a few guys at our Fairbanks store that need to get it done, too, so I will be finding out what they are doing up there if you are up north.

Sweet.  I'll keep you posted on my end of things, and if you happen to need a full time employee, let me know
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Best option, get paid while learning, yard worker or dock hand, pays far better than retail, will get some experience and generally will be helped/encouraged to get your CDL, check with the teamsters, Alaska West Express, Carlile, Black Gold, Sourdough, etc. Avoid the shops, the ones with shops are almost always looking for qualified shop hands, if your goal is driving stay out. So you know in AK they aren't wild about school grads, they'll hire them, but they much prefer someone that's tied down a few hundred loads, dealt with some leaks, thrown chains, and generally been around the equip for a few years, already having a CDL may help, but they probably won't send you out on the road for a while still, and certainly not line driving.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty sure that one's affiliated with the Center for Employment Education.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Yep right down the road from me
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm... I'll have to see what summer holds for me, but I like those ideas. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If you decide to go with NIT, and need a place to crash let me know.

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you decide to go with NIT, and need a place to crash let me know.

Aviator

Will do. Thanks again I'll be sending out applications all week for jobs and will see how this winter goes and evaluate then. (No money now)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top