Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2005 8:08:49 PM EDT
Ardent Portrait Photography is no more...okay maybe it wasn't one swoop but it was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back.

I get a call a week ago from a couple who needs an 8x10 for some promo stuff, sure, I'll do it, when, is tomorrow okay, sure.

Take pictures, edit pictures, put up website with pictures for viewing...

I get a call at 12:30pm today and then get yelled at for 13min because the pictures had a watermark (standard for web posting) and various other, not-the-biggest-deal-in-the-world-correctable-issues, but the guy is yelling at me and not listening to anything I am saying and so finally I give and say I will just give him a CD with the images on it.

Well, PCR wasn't happy with the guy yelling at me, so he calls him back, and the guy does the same thing, completely irrational and not paying attention to what the person on the other end of the phone is saying...

So that does it, This is ARDENTS seventh or eighth client and non of them have been good consumers or respectful people and I am done. Poo on them. Just thought I would share.

But the art side still goes forward (its really what I do anyway)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:15:10 PM EDT
Talk to me when you feel like it and maybe we can get you hooked up with a shooter or two who's already working for a wedding booker. Shoot a gig or two with them and then get jobs via the booker.

The booker deals with the customers for you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:24:39 PM EDT
That sounds like a bummer Hippy. It can be tuff starting out but hang in there. There is nothing in the world that is more satisfing than doing what you like to do. Maybe Phil_in_Seattle can get you hooked up. Nothing better than good connections....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:36:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS_Coyote:
That sounds like a bummer Hippy. It can be tuff starting out but hang in there. There is nothing in the world that is more satisfing than doing what you like to do. Maybe Phil_in_Seattle can get you hooked up. Nothing better than good connections....

I would agree with that, but what I like to do is capture the world as I see it, and then make that available to others

I am not giving up on photography, just on-demand portraits for people who don't know what they are talking about

I don't deal well with people who are disrespectful, and a very large part of the consuming community is such. I will still shoot for family and friends, but I'm not advertising to strangers.

That's all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:50:46 PM EDT
Don't let the dicks chase you out of your own business. It's your business, tell them to piss up a rope and work with the ones you want to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:06:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HABU:
Don't let the dicks chase you out of your own business. It's your business, tell them to piss up a rope and work with the ones you want to.

The problem is, people seem real nice until after you take their pic for some reason...this couple turned out to be total asshats, but they seemed reall nice before hand, not like anyone who would scream at me

PCR just thinks I should charge more to ween out the asshats...but a lot of the time it seems like the more someone pays for something, the more of an asshat they feel obligated to be
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:45:11 PM EDT
That sucks. Keep at it. Don't let the asshats chase you off.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:48:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hippynik:

I don't deal well with people who are disrespectful, and a very large part of the consuming community is such. I will still shoot for family and friends, but I'm not advertising to strangers.

That's all.

I couldn't agree with you more about consumers, or most of the rest of the community...strangers, that is.
Being disrespectful is an artform best played with friends.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:57:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

That's all.

I couldn't agree with you more about consumers, or most of the rest of the community...strangers, that is.
Being disrespectful is an artform best played with friends.

My rule is everyone deserves respect until they prove otherwise...
but my mom is a manager and I have worked in the service industry for too many years (yeah yeah, I know i am young)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:06:34 PM EDT

The Prob is, Nowadays people seem to prove "otherwise" faster and faster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:09:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By R-32:

unfortunately that is true
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:09:34 PM EDT

it's like road rage, people are just crabbier for some reason. They take it to an abnormal level. There hasn't been any postal office incidents or mc Donald's incidents in a while. Maybe that is a sign that people are repressing their impulses and then it oozes out for little things at inappropriate times
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:17:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gunchyck:

it's like road rage, people are just crabbier for some reason. They take it to an abnormal level. There hasn't been any postal office incidents or mc Donald's incidents in a while. Maybe that is a sign that people are repressing their impulses and then it oozes out for little things at inappropriate times

Maybe...people just need to actually talk more then...what's the line...

express don't repress? I could have that wrong..but then there is always

“Fester fester fester, rot, rot rot”.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:20:49 PM EDT
express in healthy non-attacky ways, listen and express. not many people seem to remember that you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:23:13 PM EDT

Maybe...people just need to actually talk more then...what's the line...

express don't repress? I could have that wrong..but then there is always

“Fester fester fester, rot, rot rot”.

See now you two are starting to talk like chicks (or chycks) again, and Im going to have to go play somewhere else where I feel more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:26:46 PM EDT

express in healthy non-attacky ways, listen and express. not many people seem to remember that you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar

My granmother used orange juice
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:17:04 PM EDT
It's just like web design, desktop publishing and other art related work,

And it never ends. Customers want it done free, yesterday and changed just before a dead line. Hippynik, have you ever done candids? Fraturnity and sorority members hold many events and love candid photos of the hijinks. Circulating and asking for poses is good experience. You can advertise on the house event boards. I had good success offering free group shots to the house, and charging for prints to the members. Have fun. Is your rig all digital, or do you have a darkroom?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:15:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 8:16:35 AM EDT by Hippynik]

Originally Posted By Spyda:
It's just like web design, desktop publishing and other art related work,

And it never ends. Customers want it done free, yesterday and changed just before a dead line. Hippynik, have you ever done candids? Fraturnity and sorority members hold many events and love candid photos of the hijinks. Circulating and asking for poses is good experience. You can advertise on the house event boards. I had good success offering free group shots to the house, and charging for prints to the members. Have fun. Is your rig all digital, or do you have a darkroom?

Most of what I have done has been candid (especially before I started Ardent). I have an Olympus Evolt (E-300) its a digital SLR. I love my camera...one of these days I will learn real photography but I can't afford it right now since I don't have a dark room, or a 35mm camera, or the experiance shooting one...

ETA: at the moment i am convinced i am a hack...the feeling will go away...maybe
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:39:14 AM EDT
Heh,

I like a humble person. But I've seen your website. You have a unique vision. Enjoy yourself, looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:37:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spyda:
Heh,

I like a humble person. But I've seen your website. You have a unique vision. Enjoy yourself, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Why thank you

I will actually have time to update the art now that I am not doing the other side of it. The website will have a whole new look in a few weeks I am hoping. I have a lot of pics from the new camera that I haven't uploaded yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:00:49 PM EDT
Hey, Hippynik is mocking CavVet.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:34:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:42:52 PM EDT

,,,, at the moment i am convinced i am a hack...

Nyet, li'l hippy sister.

NOT a hack,, just a bit discouraged after a couple of asshats got to you.

Your stuff looks fine.

Don't give up. Keep at it.

Learn to let the asshats roll off like water on a duck ( ya I know it's not easy at first)

I had an "insecurity attack" when I learned that I had sent the pic of you on the .50 to a "Real Live Photographer",, because it is ME who is the photographic hack.

Don't give up. Keep at it.

Your stuff looks fine.
Mike

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:26:50 PM EDT

I get a call at 12:30pm today and then get yelled at for 13min because the pictures had a watermark (standard for web posting) and various other, not-the-biggest-deal-in-the-world-correctable-issues, but the guy is yelling at me and not listening to anything I am saying and so finally I give and say I will just give him a CD with the images on it.

Sounds like he was trying to steal your work without paying for it.........
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:01:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scollins:

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:16:44 PM EDT

Nukes work too.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:45:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 7:51:46 AM EDT by Hippynik]

That was what I thought, but after PCR talked with them, they seem to just be ignorant and quick to anger. I just can't stand being yelled at, makes my blood pressure go through the roof and then I start expecting everyone to yell at me...(yeah yeah...issues).

Odt, the site is ardentphotography.com It will be being updated over the next few weeks with new stuff, but there is quite a bit up right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 2:39:40 PM EDT by PCR-00]

That was what I thought, but after PCR talked with them, they seem to just be ignorant and quick to anger. I just can't stand being yelled at, makes my blood pressure go through the roof and then I start expecting everyone to yell at me...(yeah yeah...issues).

Odt, the site is ardentphotography.com It will be being updated over the next few weeks with new stuff, but there is quite a bit up right now.

Well, Mr and Mrs Assclown called back earlier, wanting to talk to Hippy about getting the already FREE images we sent them in a different DPI. Hippy was out a shoot and I told them I would speak with her when she got back. Well They just called back. Mr Asshat jumps right in with the Alpha Male Yelling and screaming about how he wants his money back and how we are unprofessional. I tell him that he paid for services rendered on the invoice and we could not do that. I also tell him that if he continues to raise his voice to me I would hang up the phone. Needless to say, I ended up hanging up the phone. He calls back, launches into annother diatribe about how he is a professional musician and they cut a RECORD, no some shitty CD and he expects the world from us for 60 bucks. Raising his voice louder and louder. I hang up. He calls back, starts up with the yelling. I hang up. MRS Asshat calls me, wants to know our business liscense number, I cant find it, I tell her as soon as I find it I will call her with it along with the release she wants to be able to "Legally" reuse the pictures. MR starts up with the yelling in the back ground, calling us hacks, stating that Hippy is too short to be a photographer...etc etc etc. I tell mrs that if he continues to yell, I will hang up again. She states that he works on a phone for a living and that it is not yelling, that he is being assertive. He is still yelling in the background loud enough that I can't hear anything. I hang up. They call back again, I tell them I will get with Hippy when she gets back from the shoot, and then get back with them. The conversation ends there.

What Complete assholes. They pay for Hippy to go out and take their picture then state that they will want an 8x10 printed and will pay for it. They freak out about watermarks on the sample website with their pictures to pick from. They freak out when they see verbage on the back of the invoice stating that WE own the masters/negatives (pretty normal). They freak out when they get the CD. Never once did they have a complaint about the quality of the photographs they just seemed to want the world for 60 bucks. I haven't gotten this worked up in a long time.....

GOOOOOSSS FRABA!
WOOOOOOOSSSAAAAA!
OOOHHHHMMMMMMM­MMMMM!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:58:24 AM EDT
Top Top