Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 7:02:49 PM EDT
I am going to be in Colorado Springs on business next week 13-16 Feb. I will be staying out at Peterson AFB, are there any gun stores or outdoor stores that are worth checking out?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
All of the roads you'll want should be on the standard rental car map, and you'll be on a couple of them when heading from the airport up to Peterson.

Specialty Sports and Supply - largest in town.  

From Pete go west on Platte about 30 seconds and then south on Powers for about 5 minutes until Fountain, head west on Fountain until the traffic light at Murray.  Left on Murray, and then a quick left again into the parking lot.  The building looks like it should have been a Walgreens.

Sportsman's Warehouse - if you don't have one in your neck of the woods.

From Pete go west on Platte for about 10 minutes, after passing underneath Academy Blvd you'll see a mall, turn right at Chelton (traffic light) and can't miss it.  Alternatly, you can depart Specialty and head west on Fountain for a minute and then turn onto Chelton as it winds through a golf course and residential area.

And it is nearly mandatory to see the rock formations at Garden of the Gods.  Follow signs for Hwy 24 west (acessible from Platte and Fountain) and head through downtown and about 10 minutes to the west, look for signs.  The visitor's center is north of Hwy 24 on 30th street (hwy exit to 31st and follow signs) but there is more than one entrance.  

In the park you will likely hear a shooting range, it is about 30 minutes up and out the back of the park on a rough road and is typically full of trash (both two legged and litter)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
XJ

Thanks, I will try and check some of these out.  I wish I could get away for a little sight seeing, but I have pretty full days and am traveling with a group and I don't have the rental car.  I am going to try and interest some of my guys in going to the gun stores though.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Specialty Sports.  I don't get out much, but they have more inventory than any other gunstore I've ever been in.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1 on Specialty Sports.  I don't get out much, but they have more inventory than any other gunstore I've ever been in.  

Err guys, while I would strongly recommend Specialty Sports too, has anyone been by there lately?  The new place is empty!!  Their sign is gone and there is nothing inside.  There are no signs on the windows to indicate what is going on.  Does anyone have any info??

Lifesaver
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
They moved to Murray and Fountain.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
the place is almost as full as the old store was. literally long guns,and display cases for hand guns from wall to wall around the perimeter of the building. nice to see a local store that has moved up and doing good.

frank
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I am back in Virginia now after a week in Colorado Springs.  Unfortunately, the work days were long and the guys I was travelling with were only interested in eating and going back to Peterson AFB to crash for the evening (no pun intended).

It sucks when you don't have a rental car. Hopefully, next time I will have more time.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have saved them for reference next time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I would have read your post earlier.  I am assigned to PAFB and I could have given you a lift to either Specialty or Sportsman's Warehouse.  I'm a little biased towards Sportsman's since I have a part-time job there.  If you're AD mil or retired you are entitled to a 5% store-wide discount at Sportsman's.  If you are ever here TDY again, IM me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wish I would have read your post earlier.  I am assigned to PAFB and I could have given you a lift to either Specialty or Sportsman's Warehouse.  I'm a little biased towards Sportsman's since I have a part-time job there.  If you're AD mil or retired you are entitled to a 5% store-wide discount at Sportsman's.  If you are ever here TDY again, IM me.

TennVol

I have saved this email and when I get out to PAFB next, I will definitely try and link up.  

Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top