Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/13/2012 3:15:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/13/2012 3:15:14 AM EDT by VA-gunnut]
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 2:29:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:35:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:18:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:52:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:33:57 PM EDT
When I was in 4-H, I did air rifle and air pistol, archery, and shotgun. Those were the best 4-H projects I was ever involved in and it's a great start for young shooters.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:02:56 AM EDT
Our family has been involved in Ohio 4H SS for quite a few years now. My wife and I became instructors so our kids could take the projects. After our kids aged out of the program they became instructors themselves and our daughter is now the county coordinator. The benefits of 4H are many. The participants benefit from one on one time with an adult volunteer. For many this is their only interaction with an adult who isn't being paid to be there. It's hard to expect kids to volunteer when they are unfamiliar with the concept. Completing a project requires participating at the meetings- no wallflowers here, time management to meet project deadlines, accurate record keeping and making reports and developing interview skills. My daughter emerged from her first job interview and said it was a piece of cake. Just another 4H interview to her.

The goal is youth development and the projects are just the tools used to build tomorrow's citizens. A few additional benefits of the shooting sports projects that I see from not having a parent be the only source of firearm instruction are: leaving the parent child dynamic behind the firing line. It's amazing how well some kids can hear once their parents aren't doing the talking. Some parents just 'know' that their small statured child just needs to gut it out in order to shoot Grandpa's old single shot 12 gauge that they can barely hold up. As instructors our job is to make the judgement call to move the shooter to a more appropriately sized gun or have them wait a year or so till their bodies can catch up. We also start every session with the kids having a clean slate. We don't know, or care, if kid A is grounded for grades at school, punched their sister or called Grandma a bad name. For the two hours we are together none of that matters. We concentrate on building skills, being safe and catching the kids being good in order to give them honest and needed praise. Check it out.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:25:47 PM EDT
My oldest son did the shooting sports thru 4H last year and really liked it. He did rifle and pistol. My 2 younger boys are going to start this coming year since they are old enough now. I like the fact that the mainly focus on safety.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:50:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:46:57 AM EDT
My wifes friend has a high school son who shot in the scouts, which got him interested in guns.
I think it is great to have programs that introduce firearms in the right way to kids.
Most school teachers only try to make them think all guns are evil.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top