Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
Have any of you given any thought to what your gonna do If the NY AWB passes?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've written my letters and made my calls - I even wrote them for friends and family. I've supported the state and national organizations. I did what I could.

If it does pass, I'll remove what I must to a friend's out of state. Then I'll make sure that the politicians pay at the next election. Then I'll probably move over the border to CT for the time being. Not perfect but better than NY will be with a total ban.

I might look around to see where I might be able to move my office to in the northeast. NH would be nice...but with two older parents in NY it'll be a while before I can go anywhere.

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I would consider it the final kick in the a$$ that I need to finally get me to get the hell off of Long Island and out of New York State.  I came close in 2000.  All that really keeps me here is church, , friends, doctors, and a parent.  My job has been part-time since massive cutbucks in mid-2004 so leaving that would not be a big deal.

NoVA sounds nice if I could find a good IT job.  My only remaining uncle, who is 90, lives in Luray.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
CT has had it's own AWB since '93.  Make sure your rifles are legal in CT before deciding to move there. Many will not be.

CT AR15 CLONE AND AWB FAQ!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Vermont or Pennsylvania sound good.

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What about registering your rifles? The law looks like it will allow you to keep rifles that you lawfully possessed before Jan. 2006? You can't buy anything more (which ofcourse stinks hatever
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Vermont or Pennsylvania sound good.

+1

me too
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What about registering your rifles? The law looks like it will allow you to keep rifles that you lawfully possessed before Jan. 2006? You can't buy anything more (which ofcourse stinks ) but it will let you keep whatever you already have...... right

That looks like the case. We could  be like California. No more new guns for us. Keep sending letters, I'am.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello

You have already sunk the ship before were even into Port  !!!!

No Negative thought s here Guys .. Call those reps and keep on fighting !!

Eagle20
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hello

You have already sunk the ship before were even into Port  !!!!

No Negative thought s here Guys .. Call those reps and keep on fighting !!

Eagle20

I am not trying to sink the ship or promote negative thoughts, I am just looking for a backup plan so we dont get caught with our pants down!
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Im moving the fuck out if it passes!
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about registering your rifles? The law looks like it will allow you to keep rifles that you lawfully possessed before Jan. 2006? You can't buy anything more (which ofcourse stinks ) but it will let you keep whatever you already have...... right

That looks like the case. We could  be like California. No more new guns for us. Keep sending letters, I'am.

If thats the case would it be a good idea to buy a few lowers  before the ban sets in? Can you sell them or no?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
if registering is ok, id get five lowers. why not???
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Don't forget, here in NY first we register then we implement a total ban on possession (see NYC).  And since you registered, we know you have them and we are coming for them if you do not surrender them.

Also, one can certainly assume, based on previous experience, that registration will not be free, it will be annual renewal and the price will keep going up in order to balance NYS's budget.  Here in Nassau a pistol permit costs $200 plus all of the other fees for background check.

Registration IS NOT an option.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
How will they know if a rifle is registered or not?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Move to VA
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Does that mean that every AR-15 type rifle I own will become an assault rifle?  So I can register it and then put a folding stock, bayonet lug, and flash suppressor on it?  Does that make sense if the evil features make it dangerous?
If my guns are evil I am going to make them really evil.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Folks, don't get complacent!!!

The fight is still on & our "new & improved" AW ban is currently on the fast track to the floor of the NYS Assembly for a full vote...

www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1417-L

New York Anti-Gun Bill Moves Forward

Friday, March 04, 2005 A bill that would drastically expand the state's current "assault weapons" ban by redefining what constitutes an "assault weapon" was approved by the Assembly Codes Committee on March 1. In addition to expanding the ban, A 2466 would require those who currently own any firearm deemed an "assault weapon" to register it, render it permanently inoperable, or turn it in to the police. Those who choose to register their firearms would be subject to an additional NICS check and would be required to have the firearm tested for entry in to the state's ballistic imaging program. The bill is expected to be considered on the floor early next week, so members are encouraged to contact their Assembly member and urge him or her to OPPOSE A 2466!

Time is short, so phone calls, faxes, and E-mails are the order of the day.

The rights that you save will be your own!
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I will not register mine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I've sent some letters and a few E-mails . I also made
about a dozen calls for what it's worth .

But I'm not kidding myself about our chances , and it's not
a defeatist attitude . I printed out some of the flyers and took
them to a couple of local shops .  The results were as expected .

A few guy's said  NFW , I won't comply , this is BS .
A few said , Big Deal , you don't need them damn guns anyway .
The rest didn’t care one way or the other since the probably
only own a shotgun that's used 2 days a year for hunting .

We are a small minority even among gun owners , even so
I will continue my fight . But when and if the time comes I will
move before I register or hand over anything
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:15:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've sent some letters and a few E-mails . I also made
about a dozen calls for what it's worth .

But I'm not kidding myself about our chances , and it's not
a defeatist attitude . I printed out some of the flyers and took
them to a couple of local shops .  The results were as expected .

A few guy's said  NFW , I won't comply , this is BS .
A few said , Big Deal , you don't need them damn guns anyway .
The rest didn’t care one way or the other since the probably
only own a shotgun that's used 2 days a year for hunting .

We are a small minority even among gun owners , even so
I will continue my fight . But when and if the time comes I will
move before I register or hand over anything

I thought I read somewhere most gun owners are not hunters. Like 70-80 percent.
I would also think NY shops would be hurt alot. Not being allowed to sell semi-auto rifles they would take a big hit in profits.  There has to be atleast over 100,000 people in NY  own semi-autos right?
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I like how the hunters and bullseye shooters don't think they should help us. If my EBR's are banned I'm becoming the biggest anti-hunting SOB out there and will work to make sure that hunters will have to use a rock to take game if they are allowed to do that at all.

You're with me or against me, there's still time to make friends. After the buzzer I actively go after everyone else - Cowboy shooters, skeet shooters, hunters, DCM, off-duty cops. If I can't they can't either. Thats what the others need to realize: not that they need to support the type of guns I chose to own - that they need to avoid alienating any part of the shooting community because we either stand together or get cut down individually.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#22]
i havent seen anyone alienate. as far as i am concerned a gun is a gun no matter what kind it is and if u own a gun then you need to be involved in OUR fight
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, the Assembly votes this week (& maybe as early as TODAY) on the "new & improved" AWB.

Got something better to do besides defend your birthright as a free man?  

Time is short folks, so E-mails, phone calls & faxes are the order of the day!

C'mon... let's make our voice heard in Albany before it's too late!!!

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Phone calls, phone calls..........phone calls!  Light up those switch boards and bog them down.  Remember, emails can be deleted!!!  It may be too late to start sending letters if you already haven't but keep calling!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about registering your rifles? The law looks like it will allow you to keep rifles that you lawfully possessed before Jan. 2006? You can't buy anything more (which ofcourse stinks hatever

Don't forget, here in NY first we register then we implement a total ban on possession (see NYC).  And since you registered, we know you have them and we are coming for them if you do not surrender them.

Also, one can certainly assume, based on previous experience, that registration will not be free, it will be annual renewal and the price will keep going up in order to balance NYS's budget.  Here in Nassau a pistol permit costs $200 plus all of the other fees for background check.

+1
Amen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Random spot check at the range. Or worse, may be required to show registration at the range.

You won't even be able to defend your home with an unregistered semi-auto.

Scenario:

Thug with an illegal handgun breaks in.
You uncase your rifle, ante up, bang-bang-bang.
Thug dies.

Self defense?

Not anymore. You used an illegal weapon.
And if that thug has family and a ambulance chasing lawyer gets wind of them, expect a civil suit for wrongful death to be added on top of the DA's criminal charges. So while you're serving your 10 to 20, your family's out on the street in the cold.

Ain't liberalism grand?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Random spot check at the range. Or worse, may be required to show registration at the range.

You won't even be able to defend your home with an unregistered semi-auto.

Scenario:

Thug with an illegal handgun breaks in.
You uncase your rifle, ante up, bang-bang-bang.
Thug dies.

Self defense?

Not anymore. You used an illegal weapon.
And if that thug has family and a ambulance chasing lawyer gets wind of them, expect a civil suit for wrongful death to be added on top of the DA's criminal charges. So while you're serving your 10 to 20, your family's out on the street in the cold.

Ain't liberalism grand?

Scarry when you know it could happen
Any free state without etradition receprocity to NY?
That's how we get picked off: one at a time.
Still better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. Remember it's a jury of your peers, selected or rejected by the defence and prosecution.

When this latest attack commenced, I wrote to several Senate and Assembly representitives.
Senator Wright replyed that if the bill  passes the Assembly and manages to reach the floor of the Senate, he didn't think there would be enough votes to keep it from passing.

What am I going to do? First off, I carefully preserve, pack and drive the few rifles I have to our winter home where they'll be secure until a solution can be implemented. Little less than ten years left on my exile sentence, then to use a line from George & the Deleware Distroyers:  ....out the mother fu@k'n door I went!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top