Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 3:05:03 PM EDT
If bill HB2414 passes will we be able to buy magazine springs and followers?

(720 ILCS 5/24-1.8 new)  
5      Sec. 24-1.8. Manufacture, possession, and delivery of  
6  large capacity ammunition feeding devices.  
7      (a) As used in this Section:  
8      "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means:  
9          (1) a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar  
10      device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily  
11      restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of  
12      ammunition; or  
13         (2) any combination of parts from which a device  
14      described in paragraph (1) can be assembled.  

15      "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" does not  
16  include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and  
17  capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition  
18  or any device that has been made permanently inoperable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I thought too
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Looks like I will have to order some springs
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you guys think this will pass?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck IL.  If this passes I'm moving.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I lost by one vote last time.. They keep watering it down to make it better to swallow. I say 50/50.. Than it has to go to Senate.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It will if no one does anything about trying to stop it. Contact your Rep. here Urge them to vote against HB2414

Support Concealed Carry for Illinois IllinoisCarry.com
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
There were several amendments proposed that included grandfather clauses, but they didn't get adopted.

The only amendments that got adopted excluded bayonet lugs, grenade launchers and pistol grips from the assault weapon classification.  According to this law an assault weapon is a semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine that also has 1 or more of the following:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(iii) a flash suppressor or barrel having a threaded muzzle;

also various pistols and semi-auto shotguns will be illegal.  

The 2nd change to the bill also exempted people going to and from Sparta for events sanctioned by the IDNR, don't know if this applies to IL residents, doubt it.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lost by one vote last time.. They keep watering it down to make it better to swallow. I say 50/50.. Than it has to go to Senate.

IIRC, the recurring Bill always gets killed dead in the Seante.  The House is the one it usually slips by or just barely loses in.  In any case, contact your reps.

Damn, moving might be a reality for me.  I ran the thought of me quitting my job, moving to AZ and starting a gunshop/gunsmithing biz by the G/F last night and she was all for me doing it and her going with  "Fuck this FOID card nonsense!" I believe was her exact words...and this girl was a tree hugger liberal 6 months ago!

[ETA]  That part that REALLY pisses me off is that they just keep recycyling the same Bill over and over with slight changes to get an additional vote here and there.  Bascially tailoring the Bill to get it passed, even if it takes a decade.  Bastardizing the democratic process if you ask me...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bastardizing the democratic process if you ask me...

We don't have a democratic process.  We are, and have always been, a republic.  The word democracy doesn't even exist in the US Constitution at all.

I'll be gone in 10 years anyway.  I'm just worried about covering my ass right now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wish moving out of state was an option for me, unfortunately the odds of me finding a job that pays what I get now, and doing what I do is like finding a snowball in Hell.  30 more years, thats all I need.

same boat, but i need another 43 years......oh well i ain't leavin' anyway.  i'll fight this fucker till the death.  they take illinois then they'll just go after the state i move to eventually.  fuck 'em.......

jake
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#14]
what is the best way to contact my reps, all i see on the site is a phone number and mailing address.  i think emailing would have the quickest response.  or am i just going to have to write a letter to voice my opinions of this bill.

anyone have any suggestions on what to write without sounding like a moron/extreamist.  someone feel like writing something we can all cut an paste, so we can flood their offices with responses regarding this bill.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Emailing is usually ok...however if the GA is in session the reps might not have a chance to get to their email.  A phone call to the Springfield number is best, then their home office phone, then email.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Fuck IL.  If this passes I'm moving.

+1!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wish moving out of state was an option for me, unfortunately the odds of me finding a job that pays what I get now, and doing what I do is like finding a snowball in Hell.  30 more years, thats all I need.

same boat, but i need another 43 years......oh well i ain't leavin' anyway.  i'll fight this fucker till the death.  they take illinois then they'll just go after the state i move to eventually.  fuck 'em.......

jake

That's what everyone thinks, but that's simply not true.  This type of leftist shit does not dominate America.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There were several amendments proposed that included grandfather clauses, but they didn't get adopted.

The only amendments that got adopted excluded bayonet lugs, grenade launchers and pistol grips from the assault weapon classification.  According to this law an assault weapon is a semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine that also has 1 or more of the following:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(iii) a flash suppressor or barrel having a threaded muzzle;

also various pistols and semi-auto shotguns will be illegal.  

The 2nd change to the bill also exempted people going to and from Sparta for events sanctioned by the IDNR, don't know if this applies to IL residents, doubt it.

Amendment 5 was adapted. It has a Grandfather clause and can receive AW as a heir.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Amendment 5 was adapted. It has a Grandfather clause and can receive AW as a heir.

How do you know this?

According to this, Amendment 5 lost.

Amendment 5 vote

Here is the listing of activity of #5:  from: Bill Activity

5/20/2005 House House Amendment No. 5 Filed with Clerk by Rep. Edward J. Acevedo
5/20/2005 House House Amendment No. 5 Referred to Rules Committee
5/23/2005 House House Amendment No. 5 Recommends Be Adopted Rules Committee; 003-002-000
5/23/2005 House Fiscal Note Filed As Amended by HA 5
5/24/2005 House Pension Note Filed As Amended by HA 5
5/24/2005 House House Amendment No. 5 Lost 057-058-001
5/27/2005 House Judicial Note Filed As Amended by HA 5
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit, you are right I read the rules committee ok it

Wish I could prove you wrong

Edit to add: PANIC
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#21]
So if I'm reading this right, this requires me to turn over my offending firearms and magazines or otherwise destroy them?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So if I'm reading this right, this requires me to turn over my offending firearms and magazines or otherwise destroy them?

Or get them out of the state.

Great news for all the manufacturers in the state.  I'm sure RRA, Armalite, Krebs and the others will be able to find a more firearm friendly state willing to take their tax money.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#23]
if this thing goes how long is it typicaly before it goes into effect????
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#24]
90 days
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Screw it!  My wife and I are already leaving this state this year.  I'm taking a $20,000 pay cut, but I cannot stand one more year in this fucking state.  I'm going home to Texas by God!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#26]
can i go with?

i just need a job.....

my home here will easily pay for a new one there
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a high school teacher, my wife is a nurse.  Finding a job will not be a problem.  I will miss the pay, but will not miss the City of Shitcago.  We are going to the DFW/Arlington area where we have friends.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I think it lost, and don't quote me on it, was due to the muzzleloaders and "rifled" deer barrels being part of the ban. Number 6 amendment corrects that, and proably will be come the bill. Number 6 still has the grandfather clause in it.

Pearson says there proably will be even more amendments.....I say a sunset provision of some sort or other.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm a high school teacher, my wife is a nurse.  Finding a job will not be a problem.  I will miss the pay, but will not miss the City of Shitcago.  We are going to the DFW/Arlington area where we have friends.

any openings for a middleaged firefighter???

its only thing i know how to do...well paint and drive a truck....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
If this passes, I'll stop coming to ARFcom shoots (especially with anything that even remotely resembles anything Evil or Black), possibly cut-down on using this site, and stop posting pics all-together.

I'll stop here for fear of saying something that could be used against me if this passes.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
what is the best way to contact my reps, all i see on the site is a phone number and mailing address.  i think emailing would have the quickest response.  or am i just going to have to write a letter to voice my opinions of this bill.

anyone have any suggestions on what to write without sounding like a moron/extreamist.  someone feel like writing something we can all cut an paste, so we can flood their offices with responses regarding this bill.

In dealing with your legislators one of the most effective things you can do is to write them a letter (snail mail).  It will generallly get more attention than email or a phone call ... it means you're someone willing to take time to get involved.  If you go to www.ila.gov you can find your Rep. & their phone, address, and email for contacting them.

This does not mean that emails & calls don't work (keep them coming).

Be respectful when speaking with them.  Let them know that the reason the Clinton era AWB was not renewed is because it didn't make an impact.  That relatively few firearms on the list are used in the commission of crimes.  Ask them to look at the data.
Let them know that you legally enjoy using this type of firearm and they are attempting to turn you into a criminal 'after the fact'.

Most important.. get your family & friends to call or write their Reps.  Calls are usually answered by an administrative person & last less than a minute or two.  That's less than 2 minutes to secure your freedoms.

I sent my response to my Rep. today... he actually "asked" me my thoughts on it.  Best of luck with this as we will all suffer if we aren't sucessful.

Respectfully,
Automatic
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If this passes, I'll stop coming to ARFcom shoots (especially with anything that even remotely resembles anything Evil or Black), possibly cut-down on using this site, and stop posting pics all-together.

I'll stop here for fear of saying something that could be used against me if this passes.

WIZZO

I can see that Illinois gun owners have begun their annual preparation for submitting to the ban before its even voted on. Really, what is wrong with some of you people? Every year you talk gloom and doom, cowering in fear. It's pathetic!

We've had 4 years of Blago and a Democrat Party legislature, probably the most anti-gun government Illinois has ever had. And what have they accomplished in all that time? Gun locks and background checks at gun shows. That's it! No Assault Weapons ban, no gun bans of any sort. They've likely spent millions of dollars trying to make their will law and they have FAILED. So why is that people here year after year behave like we've lost when we have won almost every single battle?

Tell you what, can you all do one of three things?

1) Write your rep or senator: E-mail, telephone AND a US mail letter (all three!) telling them that you oppose this and ANY gun ban legislation. FIGHT for your gun rights!

2) Go to City Call and surrender to King Daley, the almighty, once and for all.

3) Move, to Arizona or wherever (but don't think we're going to give you our water when you run out).
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Requires a person who possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device on the effective date of the amendatory Act, within 90 days after that date, to destroy the device, render the device permanently inoperable, relinquish the device to a law enforcement agency, or remove the device from the State.

what kind of crap is this, not only is this bill trying to keep anymore coming in, but they want me to destroy/give away/or sell out of state the 300+ magazines and a few rifles.  selling that on gunbroker would take me forever, a hell of a lot longer then 90days unless i want to loos my ass on what ive spent.  this is unreal.

does anyone have any info on how many assault weapons where used in crimes in IL, confiscated, anything.  i need to call my rep and i need some hard data.

or can someone fabricate a letter and everyone can email/mail them to their reps so we can just flood their offices/inboxes with letters opposing this.

edit: emailed my rep, although he is preety much pro gun.  would it make any sense to email other representatives in other districts, or would they not really care since i cant vote for them
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Requires a person who possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device on the effective date of the amendatory Act, within 90 days after that date, to destroy the device, render the device permanently inoperable, relinquish the device to a law enforcement agency, or remove the device from the State.

what kind of crap is this, not only is this bill trying to keep anymore coming in, but they want me to destroy/give away/or sell out of state the 300+ magazines and a few rifles.  selling that on gunbroker would take me forever, a hell of a lot longer then 90days unless i want to loos my ass on what ive spent.  this is unreal.

does anyone have any info on how many assault weapons where used in crimes in IL, confiscated, anything.  i need to call my rep and i need some hard data.

or can someone fabricate a letter and everyone can email/mail them to their reps so we can just flood their offices/inboxes with letters opposing this.

edit: emailed my rep, although he is preety much pro gun.  would it make any sense to email other representatives in other districts, or would they not really care since i cant vote for them

...all of that is willy nilly, should the grandfather clause make it in and bill passes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top