Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 7:35:44 PM EDT
I'm running Win. '98 and using a virus program. I've been forced to reload my operating system about 3 times in as many months. I don't know if it's this site or links I've followed from this site. Never had this problem before.

What changes should I make?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
i've had no problems
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
have you done a complete format/ fdisk when you reloaded your OS?
you might still have the virus from the first time.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
update to xp pro if u can also check out www.imnotageek.com, these guys know thier stuff.

FireBlade
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
No, I haven't  formatted  my hard drive. I'll check into XP Pro.

How about Linux?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I do regular virus checks (found a few) and I'm constantly digging out tracking software, but my WIN 98SE install is several years old now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still running Win98 SE in one of my computers without problems.    

What anti-virus are you using?   I'm running AVG, which is free and excellent.

Are you using Internet Explorer?  Get rid of that Microsoft crap and move to Firefox.   Much fewer bugs.

I also run two anti-spyware a couple times amonth in my computer.  Spybot and Ad AdAware.   Both free and rated very good.    They can catch some stuff anti-virus programs do not.

Also, as a last security measure.  Do not let websites install cookies and run scripts at will.   Configure your web browser to ask you before.   And in most cases say "NO".    You would be scared by the number of spyware crap that bad websites try to inject in our computers.

I have Win XP Pro and I'm not impressed.   I disabled all crappy "security measures" Microsoft (does it belong to a liberal crook?) and run my own firewall in my router, etc.   Actually, I'm planning to move to Linux.

Good luck!  

P.S.   AR15 website so far has been harmless.

ETA:  Damn... three weeks since I sent the money for my Team Membership.   How long does it take to upgrade?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Money order.  Sent to the address in the "join the team".
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to say it...but you need to ditch 98 if possible.  Its lacking in alot of areas.  Also, gather an appliance firewall to drop between you and the internet at large.  The average time from an unpatched windows box to infection on the internet is down to 12 minutes I believe.  Having and obsolete operating system compounds your problems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've been plagued by viruses since visiting this site, am I alone?

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Win 98 is no longer supported by MS. You will be open to exploitation of the the operating system.
There will be no service packs, updates or patches from MS to further support the product
(This is like buying a car you cannot get parts for). You will only be able to get virus fixes and such from other sources, but like I said if the virus is an OS exploitation most companies are not wasting cycles on fixes for an outdated OS.  
Sounds like you are familiar with OS installation now so XP will be a no brainer for you.
Now my concern would be, if you are still running 98 then how old is the PC?
Terry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been driving the same car for 16 years and it was 10 years old when I purchased it. Antiquated objects are old hat to me.

Thinking about it, I really should remove my hard drive and reformat it. I first started with a freeware version of Win98Lite(?) piggy-backed to my '98SE. Worked well, but had some minor bugs so I removed it. I've never had to reload my personal files therefore I don't know to what extent the entire(?) operating system has been reloaded. I can only guess that a reload only replaces the OS files and  not user files. I should clean everything. Running Norton Antivirus.

I'll be OK.

Thanks,

Dan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top