Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 7:11:48 AM EDT
Finally my dream spot. I found out I will get to move from this hellhole to beautiful AK (Elmendorf AFB) in Feb.  Just a couple of questions for a newbi. How can I get about 20-30 rifles, 10 handguns, and 15K rounds up there without breaking the bank, they are currently in OK. I was thinking renting a U-haul and drive but its a hell a ways up there.
And the most important question: Where to live and  buy a house? I have heard good things about Eagle River, looking to spend 300-400K, and I am planning to retire there, If what I've heard is true about the place.
Man I'm excited, and thanks for the responses. Any links to other sites would be helpful.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
forget about hauling guns through Canada.

You might be able to take the ferry from Washington up to Seward, but that is expensive.

Housing prices are a bit better in the valley - palmer and wasilla, and you can buy more than a postage stamp - 1/2 acre plus - there without breaking the bank.  Eagle River is running short on buildable land.

My uncle is a real estate broker.  If you are interested, I'll give you his phone number.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I would look further away than Eagle River.  Wasilla is growing rapidly it seems I would suggest looking into either Palmer or Sutton.  I have family in Palmer and it is a nice place it is an additional 20-30 min away but cost of living will be lower.  SDC just moved up here also he wound up shipping his firearms to a relative.  Flying commercially I think the weight limit on ammo is 11 pounds at least that is how much it is for the rifle team when they travel may depend on the carrier though.  I wouldn't try bringing firearms through Canada though they seem a little picky as to whats a go no go.  If you are going to drive definately pick up a copy of the Milepost it is indespensable.  I would do a search on housing through Realtor.com when I was buying a house in Fairbanks last year it was a big help it will also give you a better idea how far your money may or may not go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Alaska Airlines has an ammo limit of 50lbs for a fact.  They also allow 3 bags at 50lbs each.  

As for transported across Canada:  "Firearms are classified as non-restricted, restricted or prohibited. Visitors CANNOT, under any circumstances, import prohibited firearms. ALL handguns are either restricted or prohibited. Visitors may temporarily import restricted firearms provided they get an Authorization to Transport (ATT) in advance from the Canadian Firearms Centre. Non-restricted firearms may be imported only for sporting or hunting use; for use in competitions; for in-transit movement through Canada; or for personal protection against wildlife in remote regions of Canada (excluding national parks) as long as the customs officer is satisfied that the circumstances warrant the importation of the firearm.

Non-residents can import 200 rounds of ammunition duty-free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty-free for use at a recognized competition.

You must declare all firearms to the Canadian Customs officer and complete a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Application Form ($50). The customs officer may check to ensure you have transported the firearm properly. Non-restricted firearms being transported into Canada must be unloaded. If left unattended in your vehicle, the firearm must be locked in the trunk or a similar compartment of the vehicle or stored out of sight.

Restricted firearms must be disabled from firing (e.g. with a trigger lock) AND locked inside a heavy-duty, opaque container.

If you have declared a non-restricted or restricted firearm but cannot meet the import requirements or do not have the proper documents, the officer may allow you to remove the firearm from Canada. Or the officer may hold the firearm until you can produce the correct documents. Prohibited firearms, weapons and devices will NOT be returned to you. Anyone who fails to declare a firearm or illegally carries a firearm into Canada is subject to a number of penalties, including criminal charges and/or seizure of the weapon and the vehicle in which it is carried."

This doesn't really say how much ammo one may be allowed to bring through unless they imply that would fall under importation which means very little.

Bottom line, you are most likely going to have to ship everything unless you take the ferry.  Shipping in and out of Alaska as well as importing ammo is expensive - get used to it, that's just Alaska and part of the deal.  If you can spend that much on housing, you can afford to ship your goods.  A one time beating won't kill you, you just won't like it.

We normally import ammo using ocean freight, there is no ground shipping to/from Alaska.  Any way you cut it, it's going to cost you.  It's part of what keeps out the riff-raff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You are right Mike AK Air is 50 lbs or 11 lbs internationally and Delta the carrier UAF uses to go south is 11lbs max.

Kind of off topic
I read both airlines regs for traveling with firearms and both airlines said firearms MUST be in a LOCKED hard case.  However TSA won't let you check your baggage if it is locked.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quite right.  I should have made it clear that when I was talking about AK Air, I was mentioning the differing exceptions (increased ammo and baggage limit).  We tend to do things differently up here, in many ways heh!  The smoothest checkin I had in the recent past was when I was carrying 4 firearms with me as well as a couple of cases of various calibers and some tannerite explosive targets.  This was all within Alaska though.

The firearms do have to travel in a locked case.  What you do is let TSA inspect the firearms cases and you provide the locks.  When they are done, they lock the case with your locks.  In other cases I had to give them my case locked but that was in the older days.  If in doubt, just ask them at the counter and ask them if they want you to lock the cases or if they want to lock it themselves.

I've got 1200 rounds of .50cal ammo sitting in Texas that I need to ship up.  If you decide to freight your ammo (and/or belongings) maybe we could consolidate the shipment and save some money.  You should get a fair rate for 15 cases though - as I remember I got a break in shipping price starting at about 5 cases in weight.

You can use commercial carriers to ship your firearms dealer to dealer or to yourself.  You can also use AK Air freight if you become a Known Shipper to ship guns and ammo.  I did this to ship another ARF member some Alaskan beer to the lower 48 since other shippers wouldn't ship the alcohol.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
As the local Realtor and ammo whore, send me an IM and I'll hook you up.  You're free to use my barge account for your ammo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the help. I think I will try and get a vehicle and drive, I have a few hundred pounds of ammo, 500 or so. I was thinking since shipping is so much, I could order some ammo/ or pick some up on the way up, and just deliver it for some of you to get rid of the shipping rates. I won't be traveling until feb-mar but I will let you guys know and maybe we can get  group buy together. For those that offered the help/contacts I will take you up on it when I get some more solid info on my travel dates. Again thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, did I hear my name? ;)
I haven't been on much lately as I've been getting out and doing stuff. On guns one of the best solutions I have found is to find a freight forwarder who can transport arms (some can't/won't so be sure to ask) and get yourself a really nice shipping crate. Driving a U-Haul up here was a blast but we didn't drive a very long distance, we took the marine highway to Skagway and drove from there. If you got any questions I'll do my best to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top