Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 11:29:05 PM EDT
I'm Looking For a GPS

I want the versatility of a handheld, but I am not sure if a handheld model has the capabilities of the vehicle mounted ones.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Joe

ETA: I hear that Garmin is the way to go either way
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Garmin eTrex. I got it when it first came out for backpacking and day hikes but lately it's seen a lot use use in my Jeep. I'm sure Garmin makes better models now, but I'm very happy with my eTrex

Randy
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't purchased a GPS in a number of years, and I'm sure there are more capabilities now then when I bought mine. That said...

Without an idea of what sort of features are important to you, it is hard to make a recommendation. Sort of like when someone asks you "What is the best gun to buy?"

A car-mounted GPS can't be removed from your car to carry around, while a handheld GPS can be mounted in your car with a bracket. The newer handheld units can easily be used for car navigation as well as hiking, while the car-mounted models are going to have very car-specific features. For example, bigger screens with more 3D-like views.

I would suggest that if you are even asking the question, you should probably go with a handheld unit. You might not have the option of a pleasant voice saying "Turn Left" while peering at a pretty 3D-forward-looking representation of the freeway offramp you just took, but it will sure get you where you need to go both in your car and once at your destination.

And yes, last I checked, Garmin is the route to go. I have an old Garmin.

-Caver
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Garmin Quest. It is a portable but comes with a car adapter/voice module so it will also tell you directions as you drive. It also comes with all the maps of the US/Canada. Add the external antenna and it's reception is outstanding. It's a little pricey, about $699 but it comes with a color screen. What can I say? I wanted color!
Look into some geocaching web sites, I'm sure they will have lots of recommendations. GPScity.com has good prices, located in Vegas.

OR
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Best by far that I have owned is the Garmin Rhino 130 ($250 on ebay - going rate).

You can communicate by radio to each other, it has a page/distress [once you initiate it, it brings up a map to your sender (who must also have a Rhino) with grid of your location], solid track, invisible track (if you do not want others to see your route), MGRS digit, etc. on and on.

Give me a buzz. You can borrow it for awhile.

2 days maximum use and you will buy one.

.......hope this helps.......

V
OUT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't get one with an internal rechargeable battery, GPS units all suck batteries dry like a Sci-FI mosquito.  If you can hook them up to external power so much the better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Any specific things you need/want it to do?  There are a TON of options.  Might also look at http://www.gpscity.com for more info and comparisons (they are in Vegas too).

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on what you need they start at about $100 and go up. My brother has a nice one that hooks up to a lap top computer...we used it in White Pine on our ghost town trip...preety handy little item. You can buy programs specific to the location you want to go to.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Best by far that I have owned is the Garmin Rhino 130 ($250 on ebay - going rate).

You can communicate by radio to each other, it has a page/distress [once you initiate it, it brings up a map to your sender (who must also have a Rhino) with grid of your location], solid track, invisible track (if you do not want others to see your route), MGRS digit, etc. on and on.

Give me a buzz. You can borrow it for awhile.

2 days maximum use and you will buy one.

.......hope this helps.......

V
OUT

Thanks for the offer V,

But I think I'll just get as much intel as I can and then make a decision. I just starting considering purchasing a GPS, so it is all kind of new to me (functions/models that is).

I'll call you and let you know what I decide on.

Joe
OUT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing is clear: Garmin is the way to go.

I guess to be more specific I want a unit that I can use in my truck as a navigator that I can also use as a handheld for hiking, exploring, plotting, etc.

I would like it to have a big enough screen to be able to view while it is mounted in my vehicle, that also allows me to see my travel progress (i.e. the little dot travelling along the freeway map). Also any PC/Laptop hook-ups would be a nice feature to.

I know several people that have them, but haven't started asking questions until now.

Thanks again in advance.....

Joe
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to get one myself.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Joe, do a subject search for "GPS" on this site and you will pull alot of threads...a full page of them to be exact. I almost got one last year but had too many bills to pay. I still need one though, my research had me leaning to a color one like this...www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60c/index.jsp

Joe, from what I remember the tricky part is the maps/software and how many you will have to buy to get what you want. They don't come pre-loaded with maps.

I spoke to V on the phone and he has the Garmin Rino 130 and after owning several different units he says that this one is by far the best yet to fill his needs.

I want the navigational features of a vehicle type unit, with the versatility of a back country handheld to use once I reach the roughage.

I have been to Garmin's website and they have a feature called Garmin Purchase Assistant. This feature was very helpful, and from what I've heard if you call Garmin directly they are very friendly and they will assist you with your needs so you don't purchase the wrong unit.

I will be taking a road trip pretty soon and I am going to take V up on his offer to use his RINO 130. That will give me a better idea if the model he has is for me.

I really appreciate all the responses that everyone has given in this thread, and between last night and now I have been educated pretty well. If anyone wants to add anything else, please do.

Thanks again....

ETA: If I don't make a final decision on a particular model before February, I'll stop by Garmin's booth at the SHOT Show.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#13]
You actually got V to answer his phone!  You're the man!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep!

I have the official V "Secret Squirrel Decoder Number"....

Don't you have that one yet?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I own about 10 Garmins and buy all mine from http://www.tvnav.com/.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!

I have the official V "Secret Squirrel Decoder Number"....

Don't you have that one yet?

You guys SUCK!
I answer my phone (at random).

PS Nice COYOTE pic Animus.......

PSS Ishoot: I will get the GPS to you asap.........also..........We need to get in on the calling coyote "in the field" time

V
OUT

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Garmin Ique 3600 PDA GPS is not too bad......they were among the first out there, and pricing's not too bad.

Mine's still going strong, after almost 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I have this one Lowrance iway 500c. I have been very happy with it. It has a very large display.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a Garmin 60CS, use it for hiking and exploring.  With the TOPO software, I've been able to find some interesting roads, trails and ghost towns and I can pre-mark my route and leave it with the wife, in case I don't show at the appointed time.

Also use it on the dirt bike mounted in a RAM Mount. The screen isn't too big, but easy enough to read on the fly and the controls are easy to use with gloves.

It's my first GPS, so nothing to compare it to.

I found this to be a helpful resource when I was trying to figure out what to buy.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a Garmin 12XL.  This site is a great resourse.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#21]
That site explains a lot!

Thanks F2....

Be Safe.

Joe

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]
You got it Joe.  Happy New Year!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#23]
anny one have any mapping software they would like to hook me up with.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
GPS mapping freeware.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Having the Garmin GPS 76S I'd suggest a similar sized model for vehicle and handheld use.  I'm considering the 76CS which has a color screen, which I would also suggest for ease of viewing.  The 76 series is on the larger size for a handheld but can still be easily placed in a holster/pouch.  

The 76 series has a display large enough to give you needed info when driving and you can only afford a quick glance at the display.

Most of the Garmin automotive units can be used outside a vehicle, however, they are just not comfortable for such use being larger and bulkier.  Not something you would want to use outisde the vehicle for much more than basic distance measurements.  But the automotive based units typically have automatic route calculation where you tell the GPS where you want to go and it will compute the route to take, including recomputing if you miss a turn.  

My father has one of the more recent Street Pilot models that has an external speaker and will announce upcoming turns and such.  It also has trip routing and a color touch screen.  It wasn't cheap, but it definitely earns it's keep when he is fogged in (lives on a mountain) and you can barely see lane markers, let alone identify intersections.  A guick glance and the GPS and he knows if he's at the correct intersection or not.

If you plan on using the unit mostly in a vehicle, an external antenna may be a worthwhile investment depending on where you want to mount the unit.  The sheet metal roof of a car will block the signals from the sattelites, but the windshileld will allow them to pass through.  So if you don't want the unit on the dashboard next to the windshield you'll need an external antenna.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Also, there's a company here in town (in Henderson @ Sunset and Sunset) with some pretty competitve prices: www.gpscity.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top