Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:44:03 PM EDT
I made a change on a gun tonight that actually worked the first time.  There was no hammering, no swearing, no slamming, no small parts under spring tension flying into space and going to live with Jesus.  None of that!

I snagged a little picatinny rail to bolt to the handguard on my Bushy AK shorty at the 1500 from Superior Arms.  Below are some amazing events that rarely happen to me:

1. All of the parts were in the package
2. Instuctions were included
3. The instructions were clear, concise, and accurate
4. I found my handguard tool on the first try (it was in an otherwise empty rifle case)
5. The holes in the pic rail matches the holes in the handguard well enough to get all three screws attached
6. The handguard with rail attached went back into place as if it belonged there
7. My light is now installed (again) and working nicely
8. Lightning did not strike, Hell did not freeze over, and the Cubs did not win the series

I'm SHOCKED!  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
We'll see how well it holds up at the 3 gun match on the 22nd..  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, there is that.

Sounds like I may have spoken too soon!  HAHA!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
rhino_
Are you an engineer by any chance?
Gump
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
8. Lightning did not strike, Hell did not freeze over, and the Cubs did not win the series

So it was you that used up all the good karma in town and doomed the Colts...  

I've thought about doing that to get a light on mine, but doesn't the taper of the HGs cause the light to point high?  Mine would be going on a midlength, which is tapered more like the 20" than the shorties.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
rhino_
Are you an engineer by any chance?
Gump

In a previous life I was.  How did you guess?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've thought about doing that to get a light on mine, but doesn't the taper of the HGs cause the light to point high?  Mine would be going on a midlength, which is tapered more like the 20" than the shorties.

I dunno about pointing.  I don't use the light as an aiming device and it's always been where I wanted to see when I've shot in the dark.

I've got the short handguards on all of my guns, so that may make a difference.

I've not heard of anyone else having any issues.  You could always go with that clip-on thing that Bushmaster sells that holds onto the handguard on top and bottom and has a piece of pic rail on the side.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
That BM thing looks pretty clunky, but might be an idea.  It does have the advantage of being completely off the rifle when not using the light.   Maybe I should just get out the duct tape and see how it points...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Joe.. You do realize... just how much crap you will get if that picatinny rail flies off the handguard at the match... .... There will be no mercy...

If I were you I would take it off now and just walk away...  

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I had mine duct taped to the handguard for a few days (until I got that rail).

It works too.  But all the k00l kIDz laugh at you!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Mike, I was at the show the ACC Booth (maybe you saw the rifle by soem strange chance) but I actually mounted a surefire on my AR15 and got it home that night played wiht it and th elight points right where I needed it to be and I can even see through the standard irons perfectly. I put a frontsight mount on it. works great, looks good (in my opinion atleast). As for the rail tapers... I put a vert grip in there too picked up an accessory rail that is machined to provide a level mounting serface. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this part approved by Pat.

John
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Joe.. You do realize... just how much crap you will get if that picatinny rail flies off the handguard at the match... .... There will be no mercy...

If I were you I would take it off now and just walk away...  

hah!  You're a wise man, Pat.  I should listen to you!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is this part approved by Pat.

John

I surely hope so.  NOT!  

But let's not forget ... I'm a "hobby shooter."  Check that ... I'm lower on the totem pole.  I'm a "competition shooter."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top