Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:07:44 AM EST
....the size of that building NEVER ceases to amaze me. Going through their family day open house yesterday reminded me of when I worked there and being completed awed by enormonous scale of the main assembly building and the commercial airplanes being built inside of it. Very cool. Too bad they weren't allowing cameras this year, though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:01:44 AM EST
I know exactly what you mean. When I first saw that building I had a whole new appreciation for "big".
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:28:56 AM EST
Is this the building where you can fit like seventeen 747's inside?????
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:38:49 AM EST
The worlds largest contiguous building under one roof, or something like that.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:48:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By bvmjethead:

The 777 building has 120 foot clearance inside the building it allows them to lift one airplane over another.

I installed and rebuilt the cranes in the roof, the tape measure and maglight i dropped didnt do well after impacting the floor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:21:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By bvmjethead:

It's not much bigger than a postage stamp :

Actually, the main assembly building itself has a footprint of about 98 acres and is the world's largest building by volume at 472 million cubic feet of enclosed space. Even with all the tooling, jigs, and assorted equipment, they could probably cram more than 17 747s inside. The scale of everything there just boggles the mind. It's almost like it's own community.

The main plant is also a very well designed, constructed, and maintained building. Just from looking at it, you'd hardly know that part of it is 35 years old. If you are ever in the Everett area, they offer tours and while not offering as much access as the open houses, they are still worth the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:44:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 1:48:55 PM EST by herb_e_vore]

Originally Posted By Boomer:
....the size of that building NEVER ceases to amaze me. Going through their family day open house yesterday reminded me of when I worked there

When did you work there Boomer? I transfered up from the Renton plant (727/707) about 1970. 747 #1 was still on the flight line for final checks. Final assembly fuel tank seal inspection. Yup, a big old building. Dale
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:31:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 2:49:24 PM EST by Boomer]

Originally Posted By herb_e_vore:
When did you work there Boomer? I transfered up from the Renton plant (727/707) about 1970. 747 #1 was still on the flight line for final checks. Final assembly fuel tank seal inspection. Yup, a big old building. Dale

I worked there from 88-94, in the interiors shop, first in the Sabey building, then the Bomarc building, and then the 40-56 building. Also did a couple of stints out on one of the 747 final assembly lines, 40-23 building if I recall correctly. Then I had an opportunity to try my hand at railroading and after much contemplation and handwringing ultimately decided to stay with it for various. My wife has been with Boeing for 18 years now, all at Everett.

Boeing purchased 747 #1 back while I was working there and it was sitting out on the flight line then, too. They used it to test the then new 777 engines. I think it's sitting down at Boeing Field now.

Turns out a guy who worked in the same shop and had roughly the same seniority I did was laid off in 2003 after 15 years and recently hired out on the railroad. Boeing called him back last month but he opted to stick with the railroad, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:38:24 PM EST
Someone told me that the building is SO large it has its own mini weather system...

True or Not True?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:48:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By BusMaster007:
Someone told me that the building is SO large it has its own mini weather system...

True or Not True?

True, well sort of. It's not heated or air conditioned. The lighting provides some heat and they open the main doors in the warmer months to provide some ventilation. Still, there is some fluctuation in temperature and it's usually a T-shirt in the summer and long sleeves in the winter. But it's not like thunderstorms are blowing through the shop.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:57:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 2:58:00 PM EST by KA3B]
You're thinking of the LTA hangers at the old Marine Base in So Cal (Tustin, Santa Ana, Red Hill LTA, take you pick).

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:22:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 3:22:24 PM EST by omar]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
You're thinking of the LTA hangers at the old Marine Base in So Cal (Tustin, Santa Ana, Red Hill LTA, take you pick).

I used to work in the tower there.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:52:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By omar:
Originally Posted By KA3B:

I used to work in the tower there.

Flight Controller for the alien spaceships that landed in those huge crop circles, right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:35:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 6:39:34 PM EST by JAFO]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:28:36 PM EST

Flight Controller for the alien spaceships that landed in those huge crop circles, right?

That is Mat 4 and Mat 5. There are three others out of sight of this pic. They are composed of concrete. During the airship days, they were used to land and tether the airship, which was then towed to the Hangar. The big hangars are #1 and #2 and the smaller hanger is #3.

In later years Mat 5 would be used by helos to perform external practice lifts using a concrete block.

Mat 4 was used as an initial driving area for guys getting their M151 license. It's where I got mine. During advanced driving, we would take 5, 2 1/2 ton trucks and M 151s up in the foothills behind El Toro base housing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:28:53 PM EST
Airship hangar.
My 1st and only Former Wife and I were on a vacation on the Oregon Coast and we stopped somwhere that had an Airship hangar.
Don't remember the name of the place, but that's what it was used for at one time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:30:25 PM EST
... You can get lost in that facility, don't ask how I know
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:53:50 PM EST
I wanted them to fold up and turn the building into a indoor shooting range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:25:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:30:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By R-32:

Still looking for a place to shoot a .50 indoors?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:14:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

Originally Posted By R-32:

Still looking for a place to shoot a .50 indoors?

Im just looking out for CavVet..
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:25:25 AM EST
Wish I could get a job at Boeing banging rivits.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:32:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:57:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... You can get lost in that facility, don't ask how I know

And you probably never even got to the system of tunnels under the floor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:00:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 6:03:21 AM EST by Boomer]

Originally Posted By JAFO:
The walk from the parking lot to where I have to work never ceases to...

make me enjoy sitting down.

Yeah, my father in-law's executive parking pass used to come in handy...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:02:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tweak:

Originally Posted By BusMaster007:
on the Oregon Coast and we stopped somwhere that had an Airship hangar.

It's outside Tillamook, is now a really cool aviation museum.

Is that the big wooden one? Didn't there use to be two of them and one burned down?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:41:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:58:33 PM EST
Hey Boomer,

I spent 14 years as an NC Machine operator in the 40-56 building until layoff in 2002.

You say they are hiring in the interiors? I need to send in my catagory A rights form.

Railgun.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:26:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By Railgun:
Hey Boomer,

I spent 14 years as an NC Machine operator in the 40-56 building until layoff in 2002.

You say they are hiring in the interiors? I need to send in my catagory A rights form.

Railgun.....

If you are who I think you are, you should know my wife. She's an MPRF and used to pull plans and do kitting for the NC operators in interiors. Now she does the same out on the 747 line. Do you live in Arlington and have a Chevrolet SS 454 pickup?

I guess they are beginning to call employees back. The guy I was talking about had a 1988 date as an interior assembly mechanic. Another guy who I had as a student conductor earlier this year also got called back by Boeing as a crane operator and he went back.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:26:28 AM EST
That is I with the 454SS, 61 Corvette, 73 Corvette etc.

I live in Arlington and am now a college graduate from Bellingham Technical College as a HVAC Technician. I work for less than HALF of what I made as a machine operator doing a manufacturing type job now doing a SERVICE type job.

The reward is meeting so many interesting people and unique job locations. Spent a week working for Seattle City Light at Diablo Dam. Very intersting place and people, they had been snowed in and trapped by road washout for 5 months last year. Very hearty people.

Railgun....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:27:59 AM EST
RailGun

I live in Arlington also ( at the golf course )

I have also been in any / every part of the Boeing Everett plant you could imagine. From inside Air Force 1 when I was in the T-4828 shop out on the flightline to the tunnels beneath the factory to operating the cranes / catwalk area 110' up. And yes I have even been on the roof of the plant !!

It is no doubt an impressive place. made some ca$h there in the past :)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:31:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By StrkAliteN:
RailGun

I have also been in any / every part of the Boeing Everett plant you could imagine. From inside Air Force 1 when I was in the T-4828 shop out on the flightline to the tunnels beneath the factory to operating the cranes / catwalk area 110' up. And yes I have even been on the roof of the plant !!

But have you been on the turntable?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:43:06 PM EST

turntable ? hmmmmm

The Gemcor machines ? or the flip the fuselage part upside down thing ?

or what the heck is 'the turntable' ??
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:45:48 PM EST

RailGun

"Each day, parts and subassemblies come to the plant from all over the globe. More than a thousand suppliers ship components by truck, rail, air and ship from throughout the world and all 50 states. The largest parts are received at the Port of Everett, Wash., and then are loaded onto railcars that climb a 5.6 percent grade -- the steepest active standard gauge in the United States. Up to five railcars a day deliver parts to the Everett site.

Although rail cars may be rolled right into the factory for unloading, Boeing added a 30,000-square-foot (279-square-meter) rail terminal building in 1992 to unload parts containers arriving by train. An adjoining rail yard, containing approximately 2 miles (3 kilometers) of track, has a railroad turntable originally built in 1899 by the Great Northern Railroad, now Burlington Northern/Santa Fe Railroad."

Been there done that, been on both VC-25A aircraft before and after Whichita and just after Bush took over the Flying Oval Office to repair carpet pad at entry point hallway.

Golf Course? must be on the yuppie side of town, Gleneagle. I am on the far side near Trafton.

Railgun....

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:37:33 PM EST
I know where the RR tracks enter the west side of the plant.

Still unsure where this 'turntable' is ?

Which bldg is it in ?

I live around yuppie wanna be's ....... I am old school hillbilly though
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:05:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/23/2004 8:11:06 PM EST by Railgun]

I know where the RR tracks enter the west side of the plant.

Still unsure where this 'turntable' is ?

Which bldg is it in ?

I live around yuppie wanna be's ....... I am old school hillbilly though

www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_usgs.asp?cpx=-122.2728171383993&cpy=47.93559026641796&usgs_res=13&provider_id=210&t=pan

The rail line enters from left side of image, follows the line up the hill from the water between housing development and the plant. Where it turns into the plant is just before where the turntable is NOW. old image.

Railgun....

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:58:31 AM EST

turntable ? hmmmmm

The Gemcor machines ? or the flip the fuselage part upside down thing ?

or what the heck is 'the turntable' ??

This is a railroad turntable. They were and sometimes still are used to turn locomotives in different directions or send them into different service tracks. Boeing bought an old turntable originally built by the Great Northern Railroad and installed it at their Everett facility because some of the railcars used to transport aircraft components have to be oriented in a specific direct direction to be unloaded at the dock. I'm probably the only forum member with a key to the Everett plant.
Top Top