Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 10:05:47 PM EDT by ishoot2live]
I have fired Black Powder firearms over the years but I've never owned one, and I think adding a revolver to my collection would be fun.

Someone told me that these types of firearms are not regulated by Federal Firearms laws. I would like to purchase a revolver kit and build it myself. I possess a valid Nevada CCW permit so I know there would be no background check in the case they were regulated.

On the other hand if a person doesn't possess a valid permit what is the process? I know that I would have to register it with Metro because of the Handgun Registration Code in Clark County.

Another thing: who sells them? I remember a shop called Ray's Beaver Bag on Las Vegas Boulevard. Are there any other shops that sell them (i.e. Bass Pro Shops, Big-5, etc?).

Any info would be appreciated.

Be Safe.

Joe

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:45:06 PM EDT
i have one. you can order them out of cabelas if you want. gotta go threw about the same amount of paperwork as you do for buying a paintball gun. there fun thats for sure. i would check out cabelas if i was you they have shitloads of them on there sight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:51:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HillBillySniper:
i have one. you can order them out of cabelas if you want. gotta go threw about the same amount of paperwork as you do for buying a paintball gun. there fun thats for sure. i would check out cabelas if i was you they have shitloads of them on there sight.

Can I mail order it and have it shipped direct, or do I have to send it to an FFL dealer?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:27:09 AM EDT
You can just order it direct from Cabelas and it will ship right to your door.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:33:59 AM EDT
+1 on Cabellas they go from about $125 for a pistol and all the stuff you need to get started, also I had mine in the case when I moved here and went to Henderson PD to register my other handguns the officer who did my registrations said I should also register them, there is even a specific box on the registration form, not sure if you had to but I didnt mind it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:36:05 AM EDT
According to a local FFL, Cabela's is actually in violation of Federal law in sending those in-line black powder rifles directly to your door. The area ATF rep said that if she 'caught them doing it, they were going to get nailed.' But I guess she has never opened up a catalog and tried to order one for herself. So watch out what you order from Cabela's, because you just might end up being party to an ATF entrapment sting.

Yes, I know it's absolute bullshit that you're forced to go through an FFL to transfer a black powder rifle. It's best to err on the side of caution and transfer through a dealer (we have CCW permits anyway, so it keeps the $25 in our pockets) and be safe - rather than stick your member into a whirling nest of angry ATF hornets.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:38:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 11:44:31 AM EDT by 444]
Black powder revolvers do not need to go through a dealer. They arn't even classified as firearms by the ATF. If a local dealer said that, he was either ignorant of the law or he was pissed off that the fact that he has an FFL doesn't make him a god. Black powder guns of all types have been sold through the mail since there was mail. If you are going to spread rumors, you are obligated to ensure their accuracy just like anybody else. Obviously, you didn't. This isn't some big mystery. Call the local ATF office and ask them. They have an office right here in Las Vegas on north Las Vegas BLVD. They are sitting there waiting to serve you. As has been mentioned, I bought two of mine right from Cabelas. Do you think that maybe, I know this is a stretch but maybe a huge company with a national pressence like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops MIGHT have checked into the legality of selling black powder revolvers before they did it ?
Most, if not all of the reproduction black powder revolvers are made in Italy, and this is exactly what Cabelas sells. Some are better than others. But, quality isn't usually a huge, big deal. First of all, black powder is a very low pressure afair, so strength isn't a big issue. Second, these guns are copies of hundred + year old guns that didn't have things like adjustable sights or light rails. Third, most people will never shoot one of them enough to wear it out: even if it is a cheap brass framed revolver. The main reason most people don't wear one out is that it takes some effort to load it, and it takes some effort to clean it. When it takes a sold couple minutes to reload the cylinder, you seldom go out and shoot 100 rounds of ammo.
I got an 1860 Army clone that was really cheap, something like $120. Maybe even $99. It shoots great. Then I have a Colt Walker clone. This was the most powerful handgun in the world until the .357 came out. It is a revolver that weighs 4 1/2 pounds. It takes a 60 grain powder charge and was carried on saddle type holster.
The ultimate black powder revolver is the Ruger Old Army. It is in a whole different league than the Italian clones. The Old Army is a modern revolver. It is the same thing as a Ruger Blackhawk: same frame, adjustable sights etc. It looks almost just like a Ruger Blackhawk and costs at least as much, if not more. You can even get it in stainless. If you don't really care about historical accuracy and/or you can see yourself shooting a whole lot, this is definitely the way to go. I own a Ruger Old Army that I have never fired. I bought it used from a friend and I just haven't gotten around to it. The first handgun I ever bought with my own money was a Ruger Old Army, because I wasn't old enough to buy a regular handgun. I shot that one a fair amount.

Cleaning: black powder is corrosive. You HAVE to clean the gun every single time you fire it. If you don't , it will be ruined in short order. Here in the desert southwest, the lack of humitity may give you a little break, but it will still be ruined if you don't clean it. The easiest way to clean a black powder gun is with hot soapy water. With a revolver, remove the wood grips and put the whole gun in near boiling, soapy water. When you remove it from the water, the water will evaporate right away.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:05:06 PM EDT
Wow,

Thanks for taking the time to type all that info 444,

I really appreciate it.

Are the pistols from Cabela's kit guns or are they already assembled? I would rather put the gun together myself rather than receive a fully assembled one. I think personally assembling it would add to the fun of shooting it and showing it to friends.

Do you know of any local shops where I can see some of these guns?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:32:34 PM EDT
I think Bass Pro may have some
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:43:58 PM EDT
TY
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:48:23 PM EDT
"Thanks for taking the time to type all that info 444"

I am at work, time weighs heavy.

I have only bought fully assembled guns. I have seen black powder revolver kits over the years in catalogs, but don't know anything about them. I used to get a catalog from Dixie Guns Works every year, for years and I know they offered revolver kits.
That Survival Store on Spring Mountain used to stock some assembled BP revolvers. I don't know if that store is still in business. I believe Bass Pro probably also stocks some assembled ones also. Ray's Beaver Bag was/is on Las Vegas Blvd. North at approx. Gass St. I don't know if they are still in business either.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:06:19 PM EDT
The feds don't believe a balck powder firearm is actually a firearm.

They denied a case against an ex-felon for possessing one. It is illegal in the state though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:21:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 7:22:23 PM EDT by ishoot2live]

Originally Posted By RDP:
The feds don't believe a balck powder firearm is actually a firearm.

They denied a case against an ex-felon for possessing one. It is illegal in the state though.

I know that I will have to register a revolver with Metro if I get one. Do BP handguns have serial numbers, or will I have to create a unique number and etch it on the gun in order to register it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:23:35 PM EDT
Mine all have serial numbers
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:58:36 AM EDT
All of the modern ones I have seen have numbers.

I have one that does not due to age.

I refused to engrave the number and it was registered with no ser#.
Top Top