Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 6:23:02 AM EDT
Hey guys:

I just have to vent, and I'm sure after reading the following, that you will all agree with me.  I work for Company X (company name deleted for obvious reasons), and each day, we have these "safety meetings", which are completely bogus when you see the types of people that I work with.  

Case in point:

DAILY SHIFT SAFETY MESSAGE

REFERENCE: HAZARDOUS MATERIALS MANAGEMENT PROCEDURES

INCIDENT:

A Company X technician was on a road call and trying to determine if a truck had run out of fuel.  He forgot his flashlight at the shop, so he took his cigarette lighter and tried to shine it into the tank.  (Can you guess where this is going?)  The diesel fumes ignited from the lighter and exploded back into his face.  He was blown back approximately 50 feet and was knocked unconscious by the explosion.

RESULTING INJURY:

The Company X technician suffered 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face and chest, and a concussion as a result of the explosion.  He was transported to the hospital and treated for 1st and 2nd degree burns.  The Company X technician was off work for 2 weeks and on limited duty for an additional 2 weeks.

Get this:  This guy still works for my company, and get this: I still have to work with him.  Can you guess what this makes me feel like?

He has worked for Company X for over 20 years he has told me, and still says confidently that diesel fuel is not flammable.  He says he doesn't know what happened.  Common sense dictates that the FUEL is not flammable, but the FUMES are!!!  

I've been with Company X for only 8 months, and even I know that diesel FUMES are flammable, not the FUEL!  Old school vs. new school, I suppose.

Folks, this doesn't even scratch the tip of the iceberg.  While I'm on my soapbox, let me tell you of another guy that got injured.  He's a really short fella, so when he's inside the oil pit changing oil on a truck, he needs a step ladder.  Well, we've been told that step ladders are FORBIDDEN in the PM bay.  As he's climbing the ladder, the leg of the ladder slips on an oil spot, the ladder falls, and he lands on top of the ladder, hurting his left shoulder and bruising his face.  Yesterday, I see him doing the exact same thing and I yell at the top of my lungs "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?"  He proceeds to tell me that he's too short to reach the oil filter, bla bla bla, and I ask, didn't you get hurt from this before?  He said yes, but he couldn't reach it without the ladder.  Frustrated, I just walk away.  About 10 minutes or so later, an ambulance pulls up to the PM bay.  I'm just thinking that there's no way in hell this would happen a 2nd time to the same person...I was wrong.  Again, after I left, he climbed the ladder, said ladder slipped, he fell, this time, 1/2 of his body landing on the steel ribbed steps, and his lower back landing on a steel beam inside the pit.  He received cuts on his neck and back, and since there was oil on the steps, he received infections because oil got inside his skin.  He also has a slipped disc in his back.

Guess what???  He still works for the company...

I stick around here because it pays well for what I do, and I'm learning A LOT (as you can imagine), but I'm extremely careful about what I do and how I do it.  Instance: its company policy that we walk outside with an orange vest on...I'm the only one that does it, and I get ridiculed for it...can you guess why I'm so careful?

I'm just putting in my time...

I can't wait to read some of your thoughts...

Erick  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I laughed so hard when I read the title because I cant count how many times we have said that where I work.

The sad part is that was the only thing funny. A man with his expierence should know better, I do sympathize with you for having to work with these a$$ clowns.

And I am sure that your co. "X" will state that they provide more training than anyone else, more than they are funded for (by state or federal) etc..... thats what my employer states. But yet we still have morons that do the dumbest and most dangerous stunts too.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can't wait to read some of your thoughts...

Erick  

You are gonna die......................painfully
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Thats funny!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you think that is bad the saftey manager where I work was cutting off the top of a 55 gallon barrel with a torch. What WAS inside the barrel? Fuel. What had happened? The barrel exploded sending the top upwards striking the saftey manager in the head. And this is the person that is suppose to be keeping us safe?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
See the top two photos on this page:

Link
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#6]

I work with a bunch of incompetent retards...

Don't we all ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top