Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/30/2004 12:16:36 PM EST
Nevada Brethren,

Looking for input here. I need to use this certificate (courtesy of the JPFO) by the end of the year.

My choices are:

- Two-day Empty Hand Defense course
- Two-day Edged Weapons course
- $500 off any of the four-day courses

I'm thinking the Empty Hands or Edged Weapons would be more likely to be useful since I live in Cali and will probably never be able to get a CCW permit. I've always been curious about taking a martial arts course. OTOH I don't have to go to Front Sight to learn empty hand defense.

A real handgun defense course would be interesting. I know how to handle guns safely and shoot pretty well but am clueless about practical defensive use.

An Uzi or M16 course would be a lot of fun, but again I live in a non-NFA state so the chances of ever being able to get even a semiauto Uzi are Slim to None, and Slim just took the last stagecoach out of town.

And there's always the Defensive Driving course, sure to be useful in Cali.

Has anyone here ever taken courses at Front Sight? Any recommendations will be welcome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:56:41 PM EST
Do they still offer the free UZI class? If so, i'd take that first...THEN use your cert ;)
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:58:44 PM EST

The free Uzi classes are no longer offered.

If you own a handgun and ever plan on using it to defend yourself (even at home), then I highly recommend the 4-Day Defensive Handgun course.

If you do not ever plan on using a handgun, then either the empty hand or edged weapon courses are good - after all, they will be free, right? If I had to choose one, I'd go with the edged weapon course. Particularly if you carry a knife.

I'm a rifle kind of guy, so, obviously, if you own a rifle go for the 4-Day Practical Rifle course.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:27:40 AM EST
I've taken the Empty Hand and Edged Weapons courses and they were excellent. However, you'd want to make sure the same instructors are still there. I'd call and ask if Felix Valencia and/or Jaime Vasquez are will be teaching the class. If they aren't, I might pass.

I would never use the cert just to get $500 off a 4 day. 4 day courses are up to $1200 now. Since you've never taken a course there before, you can use one of the "First Time" certs that are out there by the boatload. Just about every First Family member has some to sell and they normally go for less than $500. That is at least a $200 savings on the 4 day and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one for $400.

Put out a post saying you're looking for one and you'll probably get a bidding war going.

I can heartily recommend the 4 day defensive handgun, Practical Rifle or Practical Shotgun courses. Very good, lots of shooting and you'll happy, tired & sore at the end.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:17:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dorsai:
... I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one for $400.

Heck, my price to ARFCOM members is $200.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:12:40 PM EST
I've taken a bunch of the martial arts courses out there and the edged weapons a couple of times. They are great courses. I would recommend the edged weapons if you are only going to take one class. You get a little bit of both in either course (empty hand and edged weapon) but the edged weapon gets a lot more in depth into that area. The empty hand defense starts out pretty basic but is a very good course if you haven't had any training in that kind of stuff. Felix, the edged weapons guy is awesome and Jack and Jaime the MA guys are great too. You'll have fun whichever you choose.

The Grey First Family certificates that have been mentioned for the 4 day courses are only good for first time students so if you want to use one of them for a firearms course, do it before you use the other one.

I've also got a some certs for sale if you want to do that. I've sold a bunch of them to ARFCOM folks in the past. I've got a post in the EE or you can IM or email me for more info.
Top Top