Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 3:59:14 PM EDT
Man I am simply blown away by what has happened down there. I wish there were a way we as IL ARFCOMERS could help as a group aid the storm victims in the South. Any ideas?

Should ARFCOM have a cash donation drive? I'm in for a few bucks. This is killing me, it's not in my nature to sit by and waych such havoc.

Any idears guys and girls?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a volunteer firemen and three of us are trying to go down and serve as a replacement engine crew in one of the states for a week or two. One of the guys has a high level contact at FEMA and she is trying to get us in. It's a one in a million shot, but I can't stand seeing the images, hearing the stories and hearing Americans callled refugees. Like you I hate to sit by and watch.

Also, the Men's Ministry at my church has canceled our annual retreat in leiu of going down there to help. That will be in October and if anyone is interested I can provide them with more details as they develop.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife's company is matching $4 for every $1 we put in.  That adds up quick.  I'm going to give $100 and now it becomes $500 w/ company match.

They need it more than me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
With what I have been watching, I'd be happy to put my RRA to use and end some of the looting!  Give me 1000 rounds an ACOG and a day, I could settle things down
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With what I have been watching, I'd be happy to put my RRA to use and end some of the looting!  Give me 1000 rounds an ACOG and a day, I could settle things down

I think honestly, that's the least of the problems right now. Let this be a great lesson to the need of an armed and prepared citizenry. I think prayers and cash donations will go much further than your M4.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I am in any way possible to help my fellow Americans, I have already donated cash to the red cross and food to my church for down there, and even going to give blood this weekend.  And to here the media calling them refugees is killing me also!  Its the dam media again!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]

I think honestly, that's the least of the problems right now
 Of course I was tongue in cheeck with this comment, BUT, this IS THE PROBLEM.  Some of the POS's are shooting at cops, doctors, etc., and GREATLY slowing down the help that can be rendered.  1500 cops have had to be re-assigned from S&R to security.  Sorry, to me it sounds like it is a problem.  Some of these people are acting like savages which is affecting the other 99% of the good people that are caught up in it.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Right now it seems that I may be providing a home for 2 people that are relatives of a friend of mine.  I offered them food and housing for two months and they will keep my house clean.  I am just waiting for the plans to be confirmed.  My friend has almost secured a couple jobs for them, and the 2 months at my house will give them time to build up some funds.  They have nothing right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
What if we fill a truck or trailer with stuff and end it down?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Several of us have asked our dept. Head to let us take our work vehicles down to help out.  Unforunately it won't be happening.

Same thing here.  I asked my boss today what would be the chance that we would be allowed to take pickups loaded with supplies and tow our boats down to help out.  He was thinking the same thing but also thought that his superiors would never allow it.

A couple of days ago my wife and I were discussing me taking our own truck and boat down.  The next morning we heard about looters shooting at volunteer boaters that were already there and trying to help evacuate stranded folks.  That made her very nervous and me rethink things a little.  I'd still go but I'd damned sure be armed.  I wonder how a tripod mounted 1919A4 would look sitting in a Jon boat?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
If anyone would like to support law enforcement officers going to the golf states here is some info.

Part of the NIPAS Emergency Service Team based out of Lake County is going and some are already enroute.  I did some shopping for them yesterday and helped pack a truck.  If anyone is interested in supporting them I have contact with them and could ask if they need anything.

Several other local police agencies in Lake County are getting ready to send officers.  There is a list of items they need to have to deploy on the Illinois Chiefs of police association web page.  Let me know if anyone would like to support a specific volunteer officer, or unit and I'l see what I can do.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If anyone would like to support law enforcement officers going to the golf states here is some info.

Part of the NIPAS Emergency Service Team based out of Lake County is going and some are already enroute.  I did some shopping for them yesterday and helped pack a truck.  If anyone is interested in supporting them I have contact with them and could ask if they need anything.

Several other local police agencies in Lake County are getting ready to send officers.  There is a list of items they need to have to deploy on the Illinois Chiefs of police association web page.  Let me know if anyone would like to support a specific volunteer officer, or unit and I'l see what I can do.

Whoops......Forget it.  After reading the post about the 2nd and 4th being violated I will not support anyone down there.  I sure hope my buddy is not involved in this.    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top