Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/5/2005 4:43:35 PM EDT
Well, here is the story..... I was going to Wal-Mart in mesa at Alma School and Main Streets to pick up a few things and was stopped in the Garden Center entrance by someone stating they where an employee (But was not and ran when the manager came to talk with me). They said Guns are NOT allowed in the store! I stopped in my tracks and looked at the person doing security at the gate and Demanded to see the manager. It took him about 10 minutes to come talk with me! He is the top manager for the store and his name is John. I told him I have been open carring in this store for many years and a gentleman who was standing there that works the sporting goods department verified I had Legally purchased many firearms in their store. John, The manager said that some customers get scared and complain to them when people open carry firearms in the store. He told me I could come in his store if I conceal the firearm! I told him that would be a FELONY as I have not received my CCW as of yet. He said I could leave it in the Car and I refused as the area is BAD and I refuse to be that far from my firearm at any time! He stated I could not come into the store with the firearm on my side in plain view! I let him know that picking and choosing the people who could carry in the store was WRONG and left! This whole situatioin is WRONG!! If you don't want people carring in the store make it a Policy! Don't pick and choose who can carry and who can not! I will NOT give up my right to carry! Am I wrong here? Is it right for the Management to pick and choose who can Open Carry in their store? If Open Carry is not allowed then make it Policy and Stop selling firearms and Ammo! Don't I have the same rights as people that Choose not to Carry a Firearm? Am I not a valuable customer also? I guess not........
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well, here is the story..... I was going to Wal-Mart in mesa at Alma School and Main Streets to pick up a few things and was stopped in the Garden Center entrance by someone stating they where an employee (But was not and ran when the manager came to talk with me). They said Guns are NOT allowed in the store! I stopped in my tracks and looked at the person doing security at the gate and Demanded to see the manager. It took him about 10 minutes to come talk with me! He is the top manager for the store and his name is John. I told him I have been open carring in this store for many years and a gentleman who was standing there that works the sporting goods department verified I had Legally purchased many firearms in their store. John, The manager said that some customers get scared and complain to them when people open carry firearms in the store. He told me I could come in his store if I conceal the firearm! I told him that would be a FELONY as I have not received my CCW as of yet. He said I could leave it in the Car and I refused as the area is BAD and I refuse to be that far from my firearm at any time! He stated I could not come into the store with the firearm on my side in plain view! I let him know that picking and choosing the people who could carry in the store was WRONG and left! This whole situatioin is WRONG!! If you don't want people carring in the store make it a Policy! Don't pick and choose who can carry and who can not! I will NOT give up my right to carry! Am I wrong here? Is it right for the Management to pick and choose who can Open Carry in their store? If Open Carry is not allowed then make it Policy and Stop selling firearms and Ammo! Don't I have the same rights as people that Choose not to Carry a Firearm? Am I not a valuable customer also? I guess not........

So you scare the same people you are protecting yourself from.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
AJNTSA

Constitutionalists versus Progressives
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

isnt that the point?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
im reading this and in my mind your tone is coming across like youre shocked or something.

get with the times....  we're the contemporary jews.  maybe theyll let you carry in the store if you have a little yellow star on your shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

isnt that the point?

Yes, but when you cater to illegal mexican aliens...
Follow the peso...
I am going there now and I am going to open carry...
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
double_wielder when you get back PLEASE let me know what happened!!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
went looking for trouble and you found it!  sweet!
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
They have the legal right to prevent you from open carrying in their store.  Dont like it?  Write corprate or whoever, but in the mean time find a different place to shop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

isnt that the point?

Yes, but when you cater to illegal mexican aliens...
Follow the peso...
I am going there now and I am going to open carry...

i think 15 of you guys should all open cary at the same time same day and make a point. i think the manager would sh*t himself.

on second thought maybe not he might call the police and say he has be taken hostage
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
[No shit Sherlock... I think the idea of this post was to let the rest of us know to spend our money elswhere and also call/write corprate...

Nope, no shit sparky, I was 100% fucking serious.

You get so fucking menstrating emotional about this issue...
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
IN THE SUMMER MONTHS WHEN IT'S 115 DEGREES, THERE IS OFTEN NO SUITABLE MEANS TO CONCEAL A FIREARM THAT IS NOT AS OBVIOUS AS OPEN CARRYING.

I'm not an AZ resident, so I have no dog in this fight, but that just plain isn't true.  I carry a fullsize 1911 and spare mag under a t-shirt whenever I legally may.  I'm 6'-1" and 175lbs, so if I can do it anyone can.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IN THE SUMMER MONTHS WHEN IT'S 115 DEGREES, THERE IS OFTEN NO SUITABLE MEANS TO CONCEAL A FIREARM THAT IS NOT AS OBVIOUS AS OPEN CARRYING.

I'm not an AZ resident, so I have no dog in this fight, but that just plain isn't true.  I carry a fullsize 1911 and spare mag under a t-shirt whenever I legally may.  I'm 6'-1" and 175lbs, so if I can do it anyone can.

And you can do so without it printing whatsoever or becoming exposed in the course of your daily activities?

Yup.  I got two words & a roman numeral for ya
Versa
Max
II

I've had fellow shooters jaws drop when they accuse me of not carrying and I show them that I am.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Reason #456,567,698 not to shop at Wallyworld.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have to agree with Lumpy.  It's COMMON KNOWLEDGE to anyone who half way pays attention that Wally World is a NO GO for open carry.  

Walmart sucks anyway.  Buy cheap chinese junk elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Please pardon my lack of knowledge about state gun laws.

I had no idea you can open carry in AZ without any license, but you need a CCW permit to carry concealed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I had no idea you can open carry in AZ without any license, but you need a CCW permit to carry concealed.

Correctamundo!
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

got to repeat yourself now? Looks like you are the one looking for trouble. Posting this same bullshit twice in the same thread in a hometown forum that isn't yours. He was simply posting a "heads up" and you try and act like his parent, stick to ME where you may actually have some idea of what is going on.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He told me I could come in his store if I conceal the firearm!

I may be wrong, but in saying that he just gave you permission to carry concealed on the premesis...even if you have no permit.  It is my understanding that the owner/operator of any private business or private property can give you permission to carry concealed on their property.

This is not quite the same thing as saying no guns at all....and from what the manager said, I may have elected to simply untuck my shirt.  But I agree it is BS, especially if you've been in the same store multiple times without prior incident.

I was going to Wal-Mart in mesa at Alma School and Main Streets to pick up a few things and was stopped in the Garden Center entrance by someone stating they where an employee (But was not and ran when the manager came to talk with me).

Sounds like some idiot wanted to be a store security vigilante for the "good of the public"...

Russ is 100% correct in this. If the property/business - manager/owner gives you permission on private property to carry, you may conceal it without worry. It would be better if that permission were in writing, but if it is concealed, it should never become an issue.

I applaud all you who are trying to regain lost ground in the fight and to de-sensitize the population that firearms are not bad, but I don't know if your going to win this one or not. It's a big fight and the odds are not in your favor - but the law is. Good luck. Too many insurgents spilling over from CA and the south border. We are being over-run.

BTW, I have always carried a full size .45 while in AZ. A USP 45F, a 1911 or a Sig P BIG-BORE. Usually under a t-shirt or in a shoulder rig under a hawaiian shirt. I toss in a G27 in an ankle rig for good measure. Never a problem and all the cop buddies I know never could make me as to what I carried. It can be done.

You need to pick your battles. Some are worth it, some just ain't.

Good luck to you and keep up the fight when you can. You made your point - now untuck that shirt and go get your China goods and try not to get into a gun fight.

BTW, Stapley and 60 is a much better place to shop. Try to stay out of the hood.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nope, no shit sparky, I was 100% fucking serious.

You get so fucking menstrating emotional about this issue...

must be my mangina...the troubleis, you're a cranky asshole 50% or better of the time, so I don't know when you're in one of your "moods" or not

You're just not noticing it the other 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I think one of the big points that's being missed here is that while many people have open carried in Walmart, NEFP was denied because of the way he looks.

Yes he's a big SOB, with a few tattoos, a shaved head, and biker moustache, but if the manager was really that intimidated, why would he confront an armed, scary looking SOB and not just call the police?

Does anybody remember the Parable of the sheep?

They were protected by a dog, who answered to the master, but despite his best efforts from time to time a nearby pack of wolves would prey upon the flock.
One day a group of sheep, bolder than the rest, met to discuss their dilemma. "Our dog is good, and vigilant, but he is one and the wolves are many. The wolves he catches are not always killed, and the master judges and releases many to prey again upon us, for no reason we can understand. What can we do? We are sheep, but we do not wish to be food, too!"

One sheep spoke up, saying "It is his teeth and claws that make the wolf so terrible to us. It is his nature to prey, and he would find any way to do it, but it is the tools he wields that make it possible. If we had such teeth, we could fight back, and stop this savagery." The other sheep clamored in agreement, and they went together to the old bones of the dead wolves heaped in the corner of the pasture, and gathered fang and claw and made them into weapons.

That night, when the wolves came, the newly armed sheep sprang up with their weapons and struck at them, crying, "Begone! We are not food!" and drove off the wolves, who were astonished. When did sheep become so bold and so dangerous to wolves? When did sheep grow teeth? It was unthinkable!

The next day, flush with victory and waving their weapons, they approached the flock to pronounce their discovery. But as they drew nigh, the flock huddled together and cried out, "Baaaaaaaadddd! Baaaaaddd things! You have bad things! We are afraid! You are not sheep!"

The brave sheep stopped, amazed. "But we are your brethren!" they cried. "We are still sheep, but we do not wish to be food. See, our new teeth and claws protect us and have saved us from slaughter. They do not make us into wolves, they make us equal to the wolves, and safe from their viciousness!"

"Baaaaaaad!" cried the flock, "the things are bad and will pervert you, and we fear them. You cannot bring them into the flock!" So the armed sheep resolved to conceal their weapons, for although they had no desire to panic the flock, they wished to remain in the fold. But they would not return to those nights of terror, waiting for the wolves to come.

In time, the wolves attacked less often and sought easier prey, for they had no stomach for fighting sheep who possessed tooth and claw even as they did. Not knowing which sheep had fangs and which did not, they came to leave sheep out of their diet almost completely except for the occasional raid, from which more than one wolf did not return.

Then came the day when, as the flock grazed beside the stream, one sheep’s weapon slipped from the folds of her fleece, and the flock cried out in terror again, "Baaaaaad! You still possess these evil things! We must ban you from our presence!"

And so they did. The great chief sheep and his council, encouraged by the words of their advisors, placed signs and totems at the edges of the pasture forbidding the presence of hidden weapons there. The armed sheep protested before the council, saying, "It is our pasture, too, and we have never harmed you! When can you say we have caused you hurt? It is the wolves, not we, who prey upon you. We are still sheep, but we are not food!" But the flock drowned them out with cries of "Baaaaaaddd! We will not hear your clever words! You and your things are evil and will harm us!"

Saddened by this rejection, the armed sheep moved off and spent their days on the edges of the flock, trying from time to time to speak with their brethren to convince them of the wisdom of having such teeth, but meeting with little success. They found it hard to talk to those who, upon hearing their words, would roll back their eyes and flee, crying "Baaaaddd! Bad things!"

That night, the wolves happened upon the sheep’s totems and signs, and said, "Truly, these sheep are fools! They have told us they have no teeth! Brothers, let us feed!" And they set upon the flock, and horrible was the carnage in the midst of the fold. The dog fought like a demon, and often seemed to be in two places at once, but even he could not halt the slaughter.

It was only when the other sheep arrived with their weapons that the wolves fled, only to remain on the edge of the pasture and wait for the next time they could prey, for if the sheep were so foolish once, they would be so again. This they did, and do still.

In the morning, the armed sheep spoke to the flock, and said, "See? If the wolves know you have no teeth, they will fall upon you. Why be prey? To be a sheep does not mean to be food for wolves!" But the flock cried out, more feebly for their voices were fewer, though with no less terror, "Baaaaaaaad! These things are bad! If they were banished, the wolves would not harm us! Baaaaaaad!"

So they resolved to retain their weapons, but to conceal them from the flock; to endure their fear and loathing, and even to protect their brethren if the need arose, until the day the flock learned to understand that as long as there were wolves in the night, sheep would need teeth to repel them.

They would still be sheep, but they would not be food!

This was about the sheep in the store screaming "BAAAAAAAAAAD THings, you have BAAAAAAAAAD things"

For myself, I conceal carry most of the time, but not all of the time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for the advice. I have a call into the district manager and will talk to him about this tomorrow. Since the manager says I can conceal carry  I will see if I can get that in writing. If so the problem is solved. I am just sick of giving up my rights!! Every Day someone is trying to take them away! I will not roll over and let ANYONE take away my Right to Bear Arms!
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I was actually going for a box of Winchester white box 45's and a tube of liquid nails...... Wife says we may be able to do the CCW thing soon. I just hate having to do it! Almost feels like I am being forced into it! August 11th aint that far and the requirements drop then but not sure if I can afford to wait any longer. Just feels like I am giving up the right to open carry.... Whats next? They gonna start calling us Calizona?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
double_wielder when you get back PLEASE let me know what happened!!!

Nothing happened. Wife and daughter got a few things and I looked at the Win 30-30
in the case and played with a few of the golf clubs and left.

EDIT for spelling.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's the way it is in NM.  The CCW only gives you permission to conceal a firearm in situations where you could otherwise carry it openly.  You can open carry into a (non-alcohol selling) store in NM without a permit; the CCW just lets you cover it up.  I have to admit that I've been itching to go into Bed Bath & Beyond with a S&W 629 Mountain Gun on my hip just to scare the shit out of the soccer moms down in Santa Fe.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

In his defense....its hard to see (or not see ) from this angle, but I have on a fullsize 1911, 2 spare mags, Surefire, Emerson knife, and cell phone. All day long at a large FL theme park, during the summer with a t-shirt and shorts. Nothing more.  I've carried  a 1911, Glock 21, H&K USP 45, and others year round here with no problem everyday for 11 years. Never been made, or if I have, its never been brought to my attention. Everyone is different, but I have no problem hiding a fullsize handgun.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/mesethshawn1.jpg

There are THREE guys in the photo.  Which one is you?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#35]
... It makes you wonder, if a fella walked in right behind you looking like this; would he get the same treatment?

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
... It makes you wonder, if a fella walked in right behind you looking like this; would he get the same treatment?

www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/CCP.JPG

I used to carry that exact same holster for my USP45 aome days. Great holster, but it sticks out a bit more than an IWB Kydex. Nice to take on and off, though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have to agree with Lumpy.  It's COMMON KNOWLEDGE to anyone who half way pays attention that Wally World is a NO GO for open carry.  

Walmart sucks anyway.  Buy cheap chinese junk elsewhere.

That's a first for me! I've seen people carrying openly in Wal-Mart here twice in as many weeks. -- One openly carrying a Kahr P9 or P40 and other carrying a Glock G19 or G23.

There must be a lot of uneducated liberal out-of-state clueless people there for it to cause so many problems. I wish we could put up a wall to keep most of these people out!

An Arizona where open-carry is discouraged is NOT the Arizona I was born in and have grown up in.

Call Corporate -- they'll get the manager straightened out in no time.

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I have placed calls to the Home Office and the District Manager...... Just waiting for them to call back. This happened after 5pm so I'm sure I'll hear from them tomorrow.... I'll get it worked out....
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#39]
kind of odd, since I've open carried at wal mart before in Tucson with no problems.  perhaps its just a phoenix thing?  or maybe I was just lucky.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
kind of odd, since I've open carried at wal mart before in Tucson with no problems.  perhaps its just a phoenix thing?  or maybe I was just lucky.

It's a big scary NEFP thing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#41]

After watching the fireworks at Rawhide on the fourth of July. I Open Carried into Wendy's and ate dinner. I then went to the Wal-Mart Super Center here in North Scottsdale. It's just across the street from Scottsdale Gun Club. I also Open Carried in there. Not a single problem. There was even three SPD's at the store. And the old man greeting customers at the door, had no problem with me. Although some people looked a little scared. Screw them, I'll continue to Open Carry.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you can do so without it printing whatsoever or becoming exposed in the course of your daily activities?

Yup.  I got two words & a roman numeral for ya
Versa
Max
II

I've had fellow shooters jaws drop when they accuse me of not carrying and I show them that I am.

That may be the case, but there is no method of concealed carry that is as physically comfortable as open carry.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I am unfortunately too fat to effectively %100 conceal more then a g-26 sized gun.

You can clearly make out the g19 on my right hip.
So, most of the time it's open carry for the win!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your problem?

No problems here friend.  Didn't realize I was in the AZ forum till after the fact.  However, now that I'm here, in a place like WalMart....whether it's in downtown Tombstone or not....is a very public place.  If I walk in there with my daughter, and some guy who I don't know from a hole in the wall is walking around with a handgun on his hip, I'm probably gonna tap my CCW to be sure it's there and walk my daughter down a different aisle or out of the store.  If it were just me I'd probably walk up and say "Nice Piece" but if my kid's there with me in a public and populated retail store and I don't know the cowboy walking around with a gun.... I don't want to be around you.  Furthermore, if I ran a retail store and someone greeted my 122 year old welcome lady at the door wearing a firearm, I'd probably be watching you too.  Liberal?  Nah....concerned that some total stranger could really ruin the atmosphere?  Yeah.

Carrying a firearm is a good thing.  Walking around like John Wayne is a good thing too, in the right venue.  Today's world doesn't call for that, right wrong or indifferent.  What did you think would happen walking into a place like WalFart with a gun on your hip?  You went looking for trouble and you apparantly found it.

Sweet.

"Attention customers, gunfight in aisle 15, also, 15% of in housewares!"

I'll leave the thread now, latah.  I'll stick to my world up in the far Northeast.

Who needs daytime TV when you have the AZ forum

J/K...all good.  Everyone take a deep breath while I back outta here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:27:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Damn, SonofBP...
Look's like you got stung by the fat bee.
How much have you gained since Ive last seen ya ?

F.

P.S. Nice Mac, BTW.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
yankee drivel

That is because you live in New ENGLAND and you have been socialized all wrong.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That may be the case, but there is no method of concealed carry that is as physically comfortable as open carry.  

I see that you don't own a VMII.

I have a whole closet full of OWB holsters, and the VMII (an IWB) is the most comfortable holster I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#48]
does anyone here open carry with a drop leg holster rig.

I bought one... but I have yet to use it.

Would I look like a total idiot open carrying with this holster?
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Damn, SonofBP...

F.

P.S. Nice Mac, BTW.

Hey fenster.

Yah, I've put on at least 25 lbs.
I work 3rd shift doing tech support.
That + lack of exercise = fatness
I just started working out again so in about a year I should be in better shape.

Its an old Military Armament Corp real deal MAC .45.
It is loads of fun even if I have only had a chance to put about 100 rounds through it.
Which with 1 40 rnd mag and 1 10 rnd mag makes it pretty easy to do.
Here are some more pics of the MAC.

pic 1
pic 2
Even came with the original manual.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 4:37:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn, SonofBP...

F.

P.S. Nice Mac, BTW.

Hey fenster.

Yah, I've put on at least 25 lbs.hiftThat + lack of exercise = fatness
I just started working out again so in about a year I should be in better shape.

Its an old Military Armament Corp real deal MAC .45.
It is loads of fun even if I have only had a chance to put about 100 rounds through it.
Which with 1 40 rnd mag and 1 10 rnd mag makes it pretty easy to do.
Here are some more pics of the MAC.

pic 1
pic 2
Even came with the original manual.

<cartman> MAC-10!</cartman>
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top