Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 5:49:15 PM EDT
So I am in the market for an AK and I would like to buy it in my area.  I live in Portland.  

So where can I get one around here?  Ohhh by the way I hate Keiths!!!! So please don't suggest them

Also I would like to stay around $500

Sigma
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, since Keith's is out of the question, try NW Armory.  In Milwaukie on the East side of McLaughlin Blvd.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
When is the next gun show? There is usually a boatload of AK's there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The next gun show is the 17th 18th and 19th of March.

I was thinking about just waiting until the show to pick one up since there is always a load of AKs there.

Anybody in perticular to look out for?  Who has the best prices?  I am looking one with Polymer furniture as I'm not a huge fan of the wood.

Thanks for all your help

Sigma
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you want. Theres a plethora of AK varietals out there and some are obviously more expensive than others. You can get yourself a nice cheap functional romanian made ak for about 330 at a gunshow (don't pay any more than that) and then replace the furniture for about $70 through kvar.com (dont quote me on that price). There are better aks you can buy than that but romanian are going to be the most common at a gunshow (next gunshow is this weekend btw in canby www.collectorswest.com for a calendar). I'd do some serious research before buying an ak as theres ALOT of different stuff out there in various configs, some have various +s and -s and you can really get scorched if you're not careful. course if you don't care what you get just do what i just told you to do. Also read up on ban information, you'll be glad you did.

some good resources.
akfiles.com is a good place to start.

good luck
conju
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a SAR-1 that I am thinking of selling.  Let me know if your interested.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got an AK-74 Bulgarian I might sell.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So I am in the market for an AK and I would like to buy it in my area.  I live in Portland.  

So where can I get one around here?  Ohhh by the way I hate Keiths!!!! So please don't suggest them

Also I would like to stay around $500

Sigma

Contact NoAim.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I beleave NoAim might have a Bulgarian AK-103 clone he might be looking to sell.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL AK... LOL... hahahaha AK.... Been there done that.. won't do it again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
thats becuse all it ever saw was tapco furinture and 3K of solid bumpfiring...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
NoHair has an AK he can sell you.  You'll have to scrape the mud out of it first.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
The quality polymer furniture is for sale at K-Var:

www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16217&cat=251&page=2 - Black US
www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16214&cat=251&page=3 - Plum US

I have yet to see this furniture (Russian/Bulgarian or US) on any AK for sale at a show, unless it's an Arsenal, and those ain't cheap.  The stuff for sale there is either wood, or Crapco.

If you need an FCG, DPH has the G2's - dpharms.com/tapco-g2-single-hook-trigger-group-p-102.html

I'd reccomend you pick your caliber, then buy the cheapest decent AK you could find, and fit it with furniture or other parts from above.

SAR-1's are great AK's.  I'm not a big fan of WASR's, because I like the magwell dimples, and not too keen on the single-stack converted AK's.

Maadi's are good, I don't care what people say.  I've got a MISR that I 922(r) converted, and had refinished with GunKote, and the thing is a freakin' BLAST.

As far as other brands, well, stay away from Hesse, stay away from B-West built AK's (B-West imported MAK-90's are just fine).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Who is Noaim?  Does he own a shop or something?  I will get ahold of you guys that are selling your guns.

I would like to buy new but if I get a good deal I might be interested.

Sigma
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
If you like the polymer stock, why not a VEPR? IMHO, one of the best AK varients out there.

I have two, VEPR II w/ 20" barrel in 7.62 x 39, and a VEPR K 16" in .223.  Either will outshoot
just about any AK I've seen.

Sure, some don't like the fact that they do not have the traditional AK looking furniture, but if that is what you are after then there is always ARSENAL, or any of the Romanian AK's still floating around.

The gun shows usually have some Norincos and the occasional Bulgie or Ruskie AK's if you do some looking.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you like the polymer stock, why not a VEPR? IMHO, one of the best AK varients out there.

I have two, VEPR II w/ 20" barrel in 7.62 x 39, and a VEPR K 16" in .223.  Either will outshoot

Sure, some don't like the fact that they do not have the traditional AK looking furniture, but if that is what you are after then there is always ARSENAL, or any of the Romanian AK's still floating around.

The gun shows usually have some Norincos and the occasional Bulgie or Ruskie AK's if you do some looking.  Good luck.

+1 for the VEPR.  Mine has the nicest trigger I've ever felt on an AK.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Look up socandyman.  He has quite the collection and is local to you.  He might be able to offer you advice or a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Dont do it. You will feel like a whore in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for the VEPR.  Mine has the nicest trigger I've ever felt on an AK.

I'll reccomend against the VEPR, on personal preference.

They're overpriced.

They have an angle-cut on the rear of the receiver, so unless you have a smith who can weld in a chunk of metal, you can't put a different stock on it (fixed or folder) if you decide to later.  Well, correction, you can, I'm sure that the Crapco stocks or someone else has a goofball adapter for the stupidstocks.

If you want a "super-nice" trigger, you can get even better than the VEPR with an RSA FCG.  Fully-adjustable, blah blah blah.  And, they're US-made, so they count as compliance parts.

Not to disrespect anyone, but, they're an AK.  The whole idea of a "match AK" is incongruous to what these rifles are supposed to be.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
thats becuse all it ever saw was tapco furinture and 3K of solid bumpfiring...

Tapco had nothing to do with the Sight block breaking. and it was like 5k..
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I know AK are supposed to be a tool and all, but I’ve always been of the opinion that if you’re going to be spending the money, man up and get something nice. To that end I’ve got a Bulgarian SLR-100H and a Hungarian SA 85M. Both are top notch rifles and shoot great.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the Arsenal stuff from what I have seen and read about them on the net.  

About how much do they go for?  I want a 7.62 X 39

Sigma
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Who is Noaim?  Does he own a shop or something?  I will get ahold of you guys that are selling your guns.

Sigma

NoAim is me. Sorry, I was out in Phoenix for a job interview.

Anyway, my AK is a converted milled receiver Arsenal SLR-95. Definitely looking to sell it, the mags, the Kobra and the ammo.

However, to be honest, the AK needs work. Most likely it just needs the front sight block/muzzle brake recentered. Right now it is shooting WAY low.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#23]
you could also click on the oregon EE link up top... and find this:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=327413

oh - this one too:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=329297

no pics...  i like pics.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I know AK are supposed to be a tool and all, but I’ve always been of the opinion that if you’re going to be spending the money, man up and get something nice. To that end I’ve got a Bulgarian SLR-100H and a Hungarian SA 85M. Both are top notch rifles and shoot great.

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/AKs/2x_head_on.jpg

Nice looking pieces you have there ch139.  And I agree with you, if what the buyer wants is just a tool, then there are all kinds of less expensive options out there such as the Romanian AK's (from SAR's to WASR's).  But if you want something a bit nicer (either as a safe-queen or for the range), there are some really nice AK's out there.  Arsenal puts out some of the best looking traditional AK's on the market right now (price wise, I've seen them from $500 and up).  Another option would be to buy a kit and receiver and put it together the way you want it.  I think somebody already mentioned Socandyman earlier, check out the AK forum for pics of some of his work - excellent!!

As for the VEPR's, sure they may not be everybody's cup of tea.  Overpriced?  That depends on what you want in an AK.  Sure they have the angled cut on the end of the receiver that makes it hard (not impossible) to swap furniture.  But they also have an RPK receiver, heavier barrel and trunion, and out of the box, probably one of the most accurate AK's on the market.  Red Star did a test with the .223 VEPR K model and one of his FCG's, and found that with the right ammo and their trigger, they were able to shoot 1.5-2.0 moa groups.  Not bad for a TOOL.

But in response to the original poster's search for an AK, Romanian WASR's abound right now, from $299 and up.  The gun show will provide other models, try the EE, and no matter how bad it might seem...Keith still has quite the assortment, from Romy's to Arsenals and VEPRs.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigma

Anyway, my AK is a converted milled receiver Arsenal SLR-95. Definitely looking to sell it, the mags, the Kobra and the ammo.

However, to be honest, the AK needs work. Most likely it just needs the front sight block/muzzle brake recentered. Right now it is shooting WAY low.

Wish I never sold my SLR-95, they are getting hard to find these days and aren't getting any cheaper, same with the SLR-93. They are fun to bumpfire.

Wouldn't a MAK90 be a good option, if one isn't wanting to convert pre-922r? Thicker receiver and a pretty sweet trigger
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigma

Wish I never sold my SLR-95, they are getting hard to find these days and aren't getting any cheaper, same with the SLR-93. They are fun to bumpfire.

Wouldn't a MAK90 be a good option, if one isn't wanting to convert pre-922r? Thicker receiver and a pretty sweet trigger

I really like the MAK 90..  My cousin has one so I wanna get the AK so we have one of each.  I just have to be different have
Sigma
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
What is the difference between a SAM 7 (non ban) and a SAM 7 (ban style)?  

I was just looking thru Atlantic fireams website and found a decent deal on one.

Sigma
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#28]
normally the differnces are no bayo lug, pined compensator/no threads,  thats about it...i have a ban WASR that the only thing wroung with it is no threaded muzzle and no bayo lug.

Jess
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Am I able to find an Arsenal AK for around $500?  I have read really good things about them

Sigma

Check Global Trades/Armory site, but their SSR85-C is available for $569 in the box.  Locally, I have seen them at Keith's.  He also has quite a bit of the Arsenal line.  Other than that, check the Gun Broker on old 82nd, he might be able to order in what you want, or the NW Armory on Mcloughlin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#30]
The SAR-1 is an excellent copy of the AKM.  I bought one and can tell you for a fact that they are very reliable.  Lots of stamped parts, not very refined and its about as close as you can get to a third world AK.  You may want to upgrade the trigger as mine devleoped trigger slap after about 600 rounds and I can testify that trigger slap is not desireable.  As a historical piece and as a shooter the SAR-1 is a good choice.  There are higher quality AK's out there but who cares?  This is the one IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top