Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 9:54:14 PM EDT
Anywhere near San Jose (or within a reasonable drive) to go shoot some? I've got a hankerin to give some squirrels a spankerin!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Los Padres national forest (2hr drive from san jose)

Panoche hills (hard to find the squirrels, 1 1/2 hr drive from san jose)

Or private land...

not too many options, unless you want to put in the work...

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you do with them when you are done?

Judging by some of those wounds, metal salvaging isn't a top priority.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
when I am done, I usually go eat a steak and drink beer and feel good.  Ground squirrels are pests, and only exist for target practice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Coyote and crow food.  It's a circle of life thing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Ground squirrels are indeed a pest.

Ca. Dept. Fish/Game lists the ground squirrel in a category similar to the jack rabbit.     No bag limit and season is open year around.

Many areas of Ca. have been known to have ground squirrel populations with plague-like deseases.    I WILL NOT EAT A GROUND SQUIRREL!   Kill thousands, sure.   But eat them?   Never.

If you want some good laughs, use something fast and light like the 223Remington with a good varmint bullet.    Don't aim for head shots, aim for the "crap factory" where all that tissue and half digested muck will let a bullet expand violently.    You'll create a splat mark on the ground that is truely impressive while launching a 1/2 skinned carcass airward several feet.

The Ca. tree squirrel however is a game animal with a season from something like Sept 14 through Jan 30th.   Limit is 4 per day, 4 on hand.

I just went camping this weekend hoping to get some tree squirrels and I saw 3 over the ENTIRE weekend.     Was talking with some people up hunting deer and they said the Koreans came through a few weeks back on opening day and just laid waste to the area hence the reason that there were few if any to be seen(and they ran like hell every time they saw me).
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Where can you shoot squirrels on public land in SoCal?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where can you shoot squirrels on public land in SoCal?

Or who has a squirrel problem (private land) here in the south area!!
I would have a lot of fun getting those suckers and it would be a great stress reliever too!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
are we allowed to shoot the squirrels, rabbits, and gophers on our private property?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
are we allowed to shoot the squirrels, rabbits, and gophers on our private property?

depends where you live.  where i live its a big nono.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a .17HMR tonite so I need to find a cool place to shoot it now! Los Padres national forest might work...hows the squirrel shooting out there?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]
its simply just OK for ground squirrels.  You need to know where to go for them.  Panoche and tumi hills are ok if you know where to go as well.

Send me a PM if you wanna go sometime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top