Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2005 12:11:38 AM EDT
I need some advise. I have taken my CCW class and a renewel class when my permit was up last year. My dilema is this. My wife has a number of friends (6-12) from church that also want to take the class with her. The problem is that every class I have gone to or heard about has had instructors or learning videos with cursing/language that is not tolerated by my wife or the women from church she would go with. I know it seems like a stupid thing to prevent you from going to a class and some may say "don't be so sheltered". But the fact of the matter is that we do not see any R rated movies and VERY few pg-13's and my wife would be completely disgusted to sit through a class that was not geared toward women like her and her friends. I really don't want to come off prudish or anything but use of profanity REALLY bothers some people and I would like to find a CCW class that respects that. It would also be terrific if she could find a female instructor who could also give advise concerning carry options with a womans wardrobe and carrying safely with small children (we have 3 and 1 more on the way).
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:26:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2005 12:34:46 AM EDT by ColSanders]
My wife is the same and she would want to take a class like that...
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:04:43 PM EDT
Justy,

Please have your wife give me a call at her convenience and I will be happy to discuss training options with her.

I can provide a female only class, based on their schedule, with no one but your wife, her group, myself, and my staff. PG Rated.....

Be Safe.

Joseph Nizzari
Training Director,
Line of Fire, LLC
Professional Firearms Training Group
Las Vegas, Nevada
(702) 242-8288
Line of Fire, LLC
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 3:11:59 PM EDT
Joe that is fantastic. Just what I was looking for. I will have her contact her friends and get a feel for several dates that would work out for the most people. We will call you for sure.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 3:38:10 PM EDT
NP Justy,

Just let me know what I can do to accomodate them.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 4:28:28 PM EDT
man, i'd LOVE to have my wife take this class. I highly doubt she'd do it
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2005 6:05:29 PM EDT by ishoot2live]
Chiz,

Please reassure your wife that my CCW course is not an intimidation course taught by a bunch of "Rambo Wannabe" bullies.

The way it looks now Justy's wife is going to try and arrange a group of her friends for a private, confidential course. Whenever I conduct private courses no one other than the people from the same group are permitted to attend. That way everyone is at ease with one another and they don't have to be concerned about training with unfamiliar persons. I am confident that Justy's wife would have no opposition to your wife joining her group.

Also, please enlighten your wife that she is under no requirement to apply for a CCW permit. She can participate in the training now, which covers many areas together with safety (first and foremost), handgun parts, ammunition, kids and guns, safe storage, methods of carry, appropriate marksmanship skills, range time, and care and cleaning. There is also tutoring on levels of awareness, being safer at home, in the car, at the office, and while shopping. Use of force guidelines and other legal aspects are also covered in the course as well.

Upon successful completion of the course I will still sign all the official paperwork that pertains to applying for a CCW permit, and she has up to one year to file the paperwork. If she chooses never to file, then so be it. On the other hand, at least she has received solid, fundamental training, and if at some time in the future (within a year) she feels that she would like to file and receive a CCW for her personal protection, she will have everything she needs to bring to Metro.

Please know that this is not an in-and-out one day course with 40 other students. Our courses are held to 10 students maximum. That is how we can offer the individual, one-on-one training that we are known for providing. We are dedicated to each and every one of our students, and we will be there for as long as our students need us to be.

The course is two days of comprehensive training that only travels at the pace of the slowest student in the class, and all of the live-fire drills are conducted outdoors in the open air, in a safe, private, and disciplined environment.

I hope this information will help your wife come to a more contented and informed conclusion regarding firearms training.

Thank you for your interest.

Be Safe.

Joseph Nizzari
Training Director,
Line of Fire, LLC
Professional Firearms Training Group
Line of Fire, LLC

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 8:01:30 PM EDT
Chiz45 and ColSanders. We will stay in contact. My wife is really a fun personable person and would be happy to have your better halves come to the class we will arrange. I think that the more women get involved activly in personal protection and shooting sports we could see a domino effect. I know so many women who are intrigued and want to learn more in a less testosterone driven tuff guy environment. Thanks again Joe for extending the offer of your services/instruction, It will be well worth the cost of attendance I am sure.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:03:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 9:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2005 9:19:52 PM EDT by chiz45]
Ah, nothing against you guys, we've just got a 4 mos. old that she is the primary food source for That's every few hours, so that would probably interfere with the class. She already has her permit, but she's up for renewal and Looooooong overdue for some practice. Mr. Mayhugh essentially taught her to shoot (and untaught my shoddy instruction).

Oh, you guys wanted to see pics? Ok, twist my arm.

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:31:07 AM EDT
+1 I think my wife may like that type of setting. Please keep me posted!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:58:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chiz45:
Ah, nothing against you guys, we've just got a 4 mos. old that she is the primary food source for That's every few hours, so that would probably interfere with the class. She already has her permit, but she's up for renewal and Looooooong overdue for some practice. Mr. Mayhugh essentially taught her to shoot (and untaught my shoddy instruction).

img210.exs.cx/img210/8411/0219116wq.th.jpg

Chiz,

I know Jim Mayhugh and he is one of the few fellow CCW instructors that I have met in this town whom I have any true, professional respect for.

If your wife already has her permit and she needs to get in some trigger time she can participate in the range session only. I charge a small fee and the range time is only a few hours. Check out the "Gun Additions" and "Range Session" info at my CCW post: CCW Course March 12/13, 2005

Please contact me directly if this interests your wife and I will be glad to give you the details.

Keep baby's tummy full!

Be Safe.

Joe
Line of Fire, LLC
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:56:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chiz45:

img210.exs.cx/img210/8411/0219116wq.th.jpg

Chiz45:
Not to mention that you wouldn't want to expose your wife to any trace of possible lead contamination while she's breast-feeding the youngster.

Justy:

One of videos that I use in my class does indeed use some foul language during the use-of-force scenarios. It's not much, but it's there. It's used by the type of person that you might well expect to encounter when threatened with deadly force. I think that the language is entirely in context with the situation, and the value of the video far outweighs the few times that the language is used. Language like that is used to shock and stall, giving the attacker an added edge.

Saying that you don't go to R-rated movies is mixing apples and oranges. The language used in movies is often there in order to tittilate or "spice up" the movie. Sometimes you have to be shown the grim realities of life in order to understand it. Wanting to be shielded from life's unpleasantness in training can backfire on you when the real thing shows up.

Make sure your wife and her friends understand that a concealed firearms permit gives them the ability to take another human being's life, and if their moral or spiritual values prohibit that, then a CFP is not a good option. A concealed weapon is not a talisman, it is a tool that must be used when necessary, without a second thought, and without mercy.

No offense meant, but my job is not to shield you, but to train you, and I would be remiss if I did it any other way.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:58:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JimMayhugh:
Justy:

One of videos that I use in my class does indeed use some foul language during the use-of-force scenarios. It's not much, but it's there. It's used by the type of person that you might well expect to encounter when threatened with deadly force. I think that the language is entirely in context with the situation, and the value of the video far outweighs the few times that the language is used. Language like that is used to shock and stall, giving the attacker an added edge.

Saying that you don't go to R-rated movies is mixing apples and oranges. The language used in movies is often there in order to tittilate or "spice up" the movie. Sometimes you have to be shown the grim realities of life in order to understand it. Wanting to be shielded from life's unpleasantness in training can backfire on you when the real thing shows up.

I understand that, so do you, and I think Justy does too. You could explain that to my wife, but she just wouldn't understand. Maybe she is too sheltered, maybe she is a little overboard with it. Who knows. It's essentially a no tolerance policy. I get in trouble just for saying "damn" or "hell".

Make sure your wife and her friends understand that a concealed firearms permit gives them the ability to take another human being's life, and if their moral or spiritual values prohibit that, then a CFP is not a good option. A concealed weapon is not a talisman, it is a tool that must be used when necessary, without a second thought, and without mercy.

I think that is understood by these women. I have drilled it into my wife's head since I met her. Her spiritual values do not stop her from taking matters into her own hands when innocent life is threatened. Her spiritual values tell her to defend the ideas of freedom and justice when presented with threats to the lives of innocent people.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:03:55 AM EDT

Not to mention that you wouldn't want to expose your wife to any trace of possible lead contamination while she's breast-feeding the youngster..

I was actually going to call you to ask about that
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:42:32 AM EDT
I am sure in appropriate context my wife would be fine with the video if you believe it is of that much value. But anything gratuitous or excessive would detract from the lesson or message to some people. I have faith in your assessment of the video if you believe it is needed for the training and tell the class before showing it I am sure it will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:30:19 PM EDT
I'm a CCW holder and carry 24/7 if possible (I am not able to carry at work). If your wife has any question about clothing I would be more than willing to give her any help I can. She can IM me.

It really is a mind set. I am willing to give up wearing certain things to be able to carry.

Tricia
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:46:46 PM EDT
Thanks Tricia, She just may take you up on that. I love the hometown board particluarly because of how much people here go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Props to all who replied.
Top Top