Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/27/2006 4:09:27 PM EDT
Hey guys, My brother in law is in the reserves and he needs a little help. He did not qualify on the range (I think he said he hit 17 out of 40) and wants to practice at 100, 200 and 300 yards. I told him he could use my AR and my ammo but I have no idea where to shoot at. Does anyone know where we could go? I am in SW Ohio but would be willing to travel a little. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:14:29 PM EDT
You could go to Millers. I think the max there is like 250 or 275 yards though.
I could be wrong though. It's in waynesville.
millercampground.com/

$5 per day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:28:11 PM EDT
Thanks! I have always thought Miller's was 100 yards. Guess we need to get our butts over th Miller's. Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:00:21 PM EDT
Millers is just over 200 yards from berm to road.

You've also got Miami Rifle and Pistol if he might be interested.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:55:41 PM EDT
Another thing to consider is that the closer targets are the bread and butter of qualifying. I seem to remember there being only 3 or 4 of the targets at 300meters and enough to qualify at 200 and under, just found an old cheat sheet...says 5x50m, 9x100m, 10x150m, 8x200m, 5x250m and 3x300m.

Millers would be great during the week when there aren't other folks around, weekends can be a crapshoot as to who's there.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:38:36 PM EDT
If you to to Miami Rifle Pistol (presumably with a buddy who is a member) I think there is a "demonstration of skill requirement" for using the long range (the 600 yard range, or one of the shorter intervals therein)

That said, the benchrest range is, as noted above, up to 200 yds.

And then there's Fairfield...

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:43:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 7:46:57 PM EDT by SWO_daddy]
I'm a Miami Rifle & Pistol Club member.

The club is not open to the public, except to shoot in an organized match, so he would need a member to go with him.

I am also am NRA Highpower Rifle Master, so I have a clue about what to do behind a rifle.

Due to the fact that the great majority of our member are plinkers, the KD range (with firing lines at 200, 300, and 600 yards) goes unused most of the time including weekends when there is no match on.

So, if your B-I-L needs a tutorial on hitting whatever he can see with an AR15, I will donate time, rifle, and ammo to help him out. You are welcome to come as well.

I am available only on weekends. IM me if interested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:07:25 AM EDT
Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to take him to Miller's one or two days during the week. We are both free during the day so that should work out. And I am going to try to hook up with SWO_daddy on the weekend at Miami. Thanks again guys for all your help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:42:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:06:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Chuck:
I'm pretty sure the Maryland AR15 shooters site has the scaled targets you can download and shoot at 25 meters/yards. No point in shooting out in the weather unless he can hit them all using the scaled versions.

Agreed

If the rifle is properly battlesighted there's no sight adjustments or different aiming points needed. Standard Army 25 meter/300 meter battlesight zero will shoot a foot high at 300 meters. Do not aim high!

-- Chuck

I'm not sure I agree with this one, however. The Army 25M battlesight zero is a 25/250M zero. The projectile is traveling up at 25M and is on its way back down to approximately the same spot at 250M, therefore will fall even further at 300M. It's not a lot but is enough to hit the dirt if you're aiming low. This is why most folks around here recommend the Santos 50YD zero because you'll be within a few inches from 25M all the way out to 300M and won't have to compensate with your sight picture.

I always aimed for the bottom of the "head" on the popup targets at 300M and qualified expert every time, even when dinking around and shooting with my non-dominant side. Then again, I do have an EIC badge on my uniform so maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:29:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 7:30:17 AM EDT by SWO_daddy]

Originally Posted By Red-Leg:

Originally Posted By Chuck:
I'm pretty sure the Maryland AR15 shooters site has the scaled targets you can download and If the rifle is properly battlesighted there's no sight adjustments or different aiming points needed. Standard Army 25 meter/300 meter battlesight zero will shoot a foot high at 300 meters. Do not aim high!

-- Chuck

I'm not sure I agree with this one, however. The Army 25M battlesight zero is a 25/250M zero. The projectile is traveling up at 25M and is on its way back down to approximately the same spot at 250M, therefore will fall even further at 300M. It's not a lot but is enough to hit the dirt if you're aiming low. This is why most folks around here recommend the Santos 50YD zero because you'll be within a few inches from 25M all the way out to 300M and won't have to compensate with your sight picture

Just out of curiosity, I just pegged some numbers in my Sierra Infinity ballistics program. Using Federal 62 gr FMJ @ 3020 fps (the closest load in the database to M855), and entering a zero for 27 yards (25 meters), the program tells me that the bullet will be a its highest point of trajectory at 200 yards (181 meters) being 7.9" above LOS, and will reach LOS at 340 yards (309 meters).

So it seems the Army 25/300 meter zero works as advertised, at least in theory.

ETA: I just ran the numbers for a Santose 50 yd IBZ and it does shoot a LOT flatter out to around 290 yards (6" below LOS), then it falls off rapidly, dropping to 11" below LOS at 330 yards (300 meters). The highest point of trajectory with the Santose IBZ is 1.7" at 130 yards. Then it slowly drops to LOS at 200, and drops another 6 inches by the time it gets to 290 yds.

The Santose method's advantage is that there is NO chance of missing the silhouette at around 150 to 200 meters, as there is with the Army zero if you aim a little high on its chest and there is some wind going on.

al_bundy, I would recommend that you have your BIL zero for 50 yards with a center of mass hold when you go to Millers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:25:49 AM EDT
al_bundy, I would recommend that you have your BIL zero for 50 yards with a center of mass hold when you go to Millers

Will do. SWO I will IM you later about next weekend. I have to get a hold of the BIL tonight. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:47:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 3:50:08 AM EDT by Chuck]
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top