Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 12:20:13 PM EDT
I'll be visiting Honolulu 3/1-3/6 My friend and I want to go out on a fishing trip out of Honolulu.  I would like to go for a tuna but I'm not sure if it's the season for it. Any recommendation would be appreciated.  Our wives have allowed us $200 for the fishing trips to include tackle licence and rod.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that $200 each?  You only need a license for freshwater fishing over here.  I've gone with these guys a couple times: www.live-bait.com/.  $350 for half a day.  I think they've been catching swordfish recently.  Last time I went out with them we caught a small ahi (tuna)  but they aren't the best eating when they are small.  Also caught a couple of large aku (skipjack tuna) which were very good.  They launch from Waianae though.

You could try looking through the charters listed here:

www.hawaiifishingnews.com/charter.cfm?OrderBy=BoatName

The ones listed as launching from Kewalo Basin would probably be the most convenient (close to Waikiki).

ETA:  I just reread your post and.... were you thinking of buying rods and tackle?  The chance of catching a fish like tuna from shore is nil.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
no need to buy your own gear except maybe a lunch if you are going to charter a boat to take you out to fish for big game.  however, if you want to pick up cheap gear to go just from the shoreline, to catch smaller fish, just go to walmart or sports authority to get a cheap set up.  that should be well under 50 bucks.  then bait will be picked up at a local super market (frozen squid, shrimp, etc.).  after that you can basically pick a beach and go.  however, the more the people on the beach, usually the less the fish.  for example, the beaches in front waikiki are not the best for fishing due to the reef and thousands of people in the water daily.  the more country you go, the better luck you'll have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top