Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2006 7:09:45 AM EDT
I've absolutely had it with BOA. I firmly believe they are out to fleece every last fee they can get from the consumer.

I've never ever seen a bank that would post debits before credits. AAAAArrrrrggggg.

Give me some ideas. I closed my accounts with Community Credit Union, because they would  double post debits. WIll be closing my BOA accounts for crappy customer service and the fee mongering.

I'm thinking about going to Texins Credit Union or Capitol One. Is there a real honest to goodness bank out there that takes pride in customer service?

Sorry, I'm just so pissed right now I can't see straight.

BOA could not even keep a customer for more than 5 months.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I closed my account with Hybernia/Capitol One because of all their bs "maintenance fees".  I've had a Wells Fargo account pretty much all my life, and I guess I am happy with them if I've had them this long.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
My first bank account that I still have is with Wells Fargo.

I like Washington Mutual as well.

No complaints with either really. With enough yelling they seem to fix pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are eligible, try USAA.  They are WONDERFUL, and they have the best customer service I have seen.

We also have accounts at Compass, and there haven't been any issues/problems with them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My first bank account that I still have is with Wells Fargo.

I like Washington Mutual as well.

No complaints with either really. With enough yelling they seem to fix pretty much anything.

I have had WAMU for several years now. If you dont like to have debits post before credits; STAY AWAY FROM THEM. Other than that; all good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had WaMu for the last year, and I'm very happy with them.

When I tried to open a new checking accout, the attendant asked me for two forms of ID,my DL and SSN.  I told her I didnt have my SSN card, and she said, "Well, ya gotta CHL?"
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe your in Wylie, aren't you...You have plenty to choose from.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Might I suggest Comerica. Any time I've ever had a problem, they've always worked with me to resolve it promptly. Good customer service always goes a long way in my book...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear you're having trouble w/ BOA.  I've been with them for a long time, and have several accounts with them.  I've never had a problem with cust. service.  I don't think I've ever paid for checks, and I can't remember a time they charged me a silly fee that they weren't willing to reverse if I asked.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]
By the time youve made a decision, it seems you'll have an endorsement from every bank. I was at Bank One and liked it. Then they changed to Chase, and its been fine so far. A couple of years ago when I changed jobs and my direct deposit took a month to start up again they charged me a fee for not having direct deposit in my checking account, ironically the same day it started again. I walked in there and told them what happened and they had my account credited right then and there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Wells Fargo has plenty of fees. They charge me for bill pay, money orders, savings accounts, checks returned that are from companies issuing the check, new checks, overdrafts that are protected by a savings account , I lost an insurance policy because they sent the payment to the wrong address (yes their fault)etc etc etc.

I also have BOA with a home mortgage there. Because I let them carry my mortgage (5.67%) i get free everything, not a fee anywhere, free money orders, saftey deposits boxes, checks, savings accounts, bill pay, everything. The only thing I have against BOA is the nearest one is 20 miles away.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I'll also look at WAMU and Wells Fargo (my mortgage is with them).

It's just so ridiculous when you have to take screen shots of your computer showing that your credit is greater than your debt. Then they say you did not have enough in your account and hit you up for $10 fee for overdraft protection transfer. I finally sent enough screen shots (taken last night) to the right people to get the charges reversed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#13]
If there's one close to you, I HIGHLY recommend Prosperity Bank.  They started in South Texas and have spread.  Our local branch has been fantastic with the Mrs. and I.  They still get to know their customers, unlike the big national banks where you're just an account.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have ViewPoint and I LOVE it!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Wells Fargo also posts debits before credits.  Also, read their fine print about partial availability on certain deposits.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have ViewPoint and I LOVE it!

Do they double post debts to *your* account? They did mine, that's why I left.  I was with them (community credit union / viewpoint bank) for about 9 years. This year alone after correcting their mistakes still cost me over $100 in vendor returned check fees. It's embarrassing as hell to have to walk into a store and say I came to pick up a returned check.

Quoted:
Wells Fargo also posts debits before credits.  Also, read their fine print about partial availability on certain deposits.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I believe your in Wylie, aren't you...You have plenty to choose from.

lol, that is the understatement of the year! I think they could save a lot of money and time if each branch went in with the pharmacy's and auto-parts stores. I think there is at least 3 of each on the corner of 78 and 544
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#20]
That's interesting to hear. I just set up some accounts with BOA after security service FCU wasted an hour of my time setting up an account and then told me I cant get a debit card on a corporate account. Went across the street to BOA and set up a corporate and a personal and will get a card for both in 5 days. Then i went back across the street to close my new ssfcu account. First time I ever had a bank account open for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you are eligible, try USAA.  They are WONDERFUL, and they have the best customer service I have seen.

We also have accounts at Compass, and there haven't been any issues/problems with them.

+1,000.000 on USAA

Less so om Compass

If you can find an independent bank, they are always more service oriented/customer friendly. In chains, you are just a number out of millions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I have my business and personal accounts with Compass Bank.  I have to say that I'm quite pleased with them and their service..
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Me and my fiance both have Wells Fargo and we've been pleased with them.  

I work an extra job at compass bank and I don't bank with them but I can say they can't even get the pay to their officers right.  It's been a damn month since I got a paycheck from them.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Availability of deposits is actually a Federal Regulation under Reg CC. So that is uniform with all banks. Banks have to follow it. They should give you a disclosure statement on or before you open an account. That too is Fed Reg. However, branch manager and higher can override Reg CC and make funds available sooner, but they cannot hold fund longer than stated on Reg CC. Funds can be held up to 20 days depending on type of deposit and amount.

I guess my bankers never enforced it until I went to WF.  I have always had availability of my deposits. not necessarily to withdraw, but could always right checks against them, no matter the type.  Correct, the disclosure statement (aka what I call the fine print, T&Cs, etc.) does include the info.  It just pissed me off the first time I deposited a $2000 cashiers check, wrote other checks against it, then they hit me with NSF charges.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll endorse my bank again. Chase. And if your in Wylie, the branch I bank at is in Allen at Allen Heights and Bethany, in the shopping center with Kroger and McDonalds. Service there has been an A+ for me so far with 2+ years of banking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Been looking at all the banks online, I'm leaning toward Texans CU. I just have to ask them how they post credits/debts.

The interesting thing is they have a branch office in my building and 2 atm's. If something hoses up I can go the the 4th floor and chew some ass.

Their website suggests some pretty unconventional banking practices.

Texans Credit Union I'll see what they have to offer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I haven't had any trouble with Bank of America. I use their online banking for almost everything, and I've yet to see any extra fees for anything. What, exactly, is it that you guys are mad about? What's this "debits before credits" stuff?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Try CitiBank, they have been great for me versus other banks I have used in the past.
Also my GF works there, it a plus for me........

Plus they have 6% 6 month CD's right now..............
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have my business and personal accounts with Compass Bank.  I have to say that I'm quite pleased with them and their service..

I'm using Compass Bank, too, and have also been very pleased with them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I am sorry to hear you are having issues.  As a 2nd generation employee, it saddens me to hear of bad customer interactions but very few of our policies are determined by us.  Most are straight from the FCC. Wish I could help out.

Quoted:
They won't direct deposit to any other bank if you work there.

Now thats not true.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They won't direct deposit to any other bank if you work there.

Now thats a lie.

I know 2 people(one work at their CapMkts in L.A. and the other on here in Dallas) that work there currently and they aren't able to direct deposit to any other bank. Their choices are receive a physical check or open a BofA account. I also work with someone that came from there and she confirms this. I was told once you have an account set up, you can split you DD with another bank, but you have to keep the BofA account open to receive DD.

I don't have personal experience only relating first hand experience of people I know that have or currently work there.

I work there with the most paranoid people on the planet, and many don't want HR looking at their accounts.  They will deposit your check into any bank that accepts ACH.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I was with BofA for 21 years and I closed my account in the same office that I opened it after the a)turned me down for a car loan after knocking three zeros off of my income ny accident in their application, b)told me that it was my fault for having poor credit, and c)then refusing to apologize after I walked back through their records with the bank manager standing there and pointing out that I was turned down because I had a three digit yearly income listed on their form.  The manager sighed, looked at his watch, and said "Oh, well.  It happens sometimes."  I had been at the bank for close to two hours at that point.  So I closed my account.  I had put up with them losing a $5k check for a week when they were rolling in NCNB's computer systems, screwing up my account for two months after that, charging me fees for services that I had never used or asked for for three years after that, but being told to piss off over a car loan that was less than 10% of what I had in my savings account BECAUSE OF THEIR TYPING ERROR took the cake.  The only satisfaction I really had was seeing the branch manager turn pale when he looked at my account as he was taking the money out.  Yes, I wrote a letter.  No, they didn't bother to respond.  Fuck BofA.

I went with a local Houston bank called Redstone Bank (the same family that owns the Houstonian and a few other things) with three branches.  I have been delighted.  Get a small bank where you can talk to the people who own it.  You will be happy you did.

I also know a lot of people who have been very happy with their small credit unions for similar reasons.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I was with BofA for 21 years and I closed my account in the same office that I opened it after the a)turned me down for a car loan after knocking three zeros off of my income ny accident in their application, b)told me that it was my fault for having poor credit, and c)then refusing to apologize after I walked back through their records with the bank manager standing there and pointing out that I was turned down because I had a three digit yearly income listed on their form.  The manager sighed, looked at his watch, and said "Oh, well.  It happens sometimes."  I had been at the bank for close to two hours at that point.  So I closed my account.  I had put up with them losing a $5k check for a week when they were rolling in NCNB's computer systems, screwing up my account for two months after that, charging me fees for services that I had never used or asked for for three years after that, but being told to piss off over a car loan that was less than 10% of what I had in my savings account BECAUSE OF THEIR TYPING ERROR took the cake.  The only satisfaction I really had was seeing the branch manager turn pale when he looked at my account as he was taking the money out.  Yes, I wrote a letter.  No, they didn't bother to respond.  Fuck BofA.

I went with a local Houston bank called Redstone Bank (the same family that owns the Houstonian and a few other things) with three branches.  I have been delighted.  Get a small bank where you can talk to the people who own it.  You will be happy you did.

I also know a lot of people who have been very happy with their small credit unions for similar reasons.

I am confused by your story. Are you mad at BofA or at the banks that were there before the mergers?  B/C if you had an issue with NCNB conversion, then you were actually an Interfirst customer and they were being run by the government at the time b/c of the banks failure.  Now your loan issue, seems a bit, how should I say far fetched b/c all of your savings info would have been right there on the loan application.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am confused by your story. Are you mad at BofA or at the banks that were there before the mergers?  B/C if you had an issue with NCNB conversion, then you were actually an Interfirst customer and they were being run by the government at the time b/c of the banks failure.  Now your loan issue, seems a bit, how should I say far fetched b/c all of your savings info would have been right there on the loan application.

I guess I am still mad at BofA.  I am surprised that I am still mad, but I am.

I have no idea how they screwed up the loan application.  It should have been there because I put it down and they printed it out for me to do the application!  I had been with the same people in the same office without a hitch for 21 years until BofA took over.  It think that it was orgininally Republic Bank.  They brought in a bunch of younger people, let the old ladies go, and all sorts of problems cropped up, more or less right away.  For instance, I had a safety deposit box there for years and it was paid out of my account for years.  I made sure after chasing that check around for two weeks that the few things that had been done before (paying the PO box, sending my mail to my office, and something else I don't remember) would continue to be done.  The young man I spoke with assured me that everything was fine.  It took me four months to get them to stop sending my mail to my home address -- I get nothing at home -- and they sent me a bill for my PO box to my home a few months after that -- when everything was supposed to be going to my office -- when I was out of town.  More hilarity ensued.  Whatever they did with the car note (and I don't know how they did what they did) and the profound lack of interest shown by the young man was the last straw.  I don't know why the mail suddenly started going to my home address.  I don't know why most of these things happened.  I don't know why all of the old ladies disappeared and were replaced by 18 year old girls who couldn't used the computer system at more than a snail's pace.

Given what I do for a living, I would be fascinated to hear why this all went down that way from someone who was actually involved in that conversion process.  I would love to know what actually happened, what decisions were made to do this.  Really, just for my own edification.

At the time I knew a nice older lady who had worked at Dell for years and had made a lot of money from stock.  She apparently transferred $50k from her broker to her account that same weekend that my $5k check went missing and they were unable to "find" the money until she lawyered up.  I heard about that a year later.  I don't think that BofA was trying to "steal" the money anymore than they were "stealing" that check I deposited.  I think that the conversion went so badly that they were probably holed up someplace entering things by hand and trying to figure out what went wrong, and that is not reassuring.  Perhaps it involved Anderson consultants to get messed up that badly.  It would be interesting to see a post mortem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#40]
From your time frame, it sounds like the check was lost during the NationsBank / Bank of America conversion. That was before my time, but from what I understand, it did go badly.  No we have gotten much better this at this (see Fleet and MBNA conversions) but anytime you integrate old school proprietary systems from two very large companies, snafu's are expected, which an old mainframe dude should understand.  You seem rather well off.  My advice to you would be to get a personal banker at BofA and let our product set make you more money.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've had WaMu for the last year, and I'm very happy with them.

Same here, been with them since they bought out Bank United.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
My advice to you would be to get a personal banker at BofA and let our product set make you more money.

Have you seen anyone besides yourself saying anything good about BofA?  Why in the world would you expect someone to go back to a business that treated them like that?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck B of A.  

I bank at WaMu, but have been dealing with B of A on a recent auto loan they purchased. WaMu has been fine to deal with, they just quit doing car loans so I cant use them for this.  I went in fully prepared to not only sign a re-fi on the auto, but also to bring all my personal accounts and business accounts as well.    

B of A bought my new car loan from Mercedes a couple of months ago.  I have since sold a vehicle and wanted to re-fi the new car since I have a good hunk to pay down on the note.  

Anyway, my first issue is that they close the lobby at 4:00.  What a joke...  We are in a modern world now, and businesses that close at 4 have no business being in business.  Show me one other industry that gets away with that crap.  "Oh, but we have the money so you have no choice."  Bullshit.  WaMu is open until 6:00 so folks can go into the branch after normal work hours.  This is customer service.  Closing at 4:00 means they DO NOT CARE about the customer.    

Second, after being turned away at 4:15 as they were "closed", I went back to the branch earlier one day last week to talk about the re-fi.  The 14 year old "loan officer" then tells me that they do not do auto loans in the branches, and I will have to do this online.  I told her I want to do this face-to-face, and she just refused.  I told her that I would only do business with someone face to face, and if they refuse, then they are refusing my business.  Two trips to their branch, for nothing.    

As noted above, I will be finding a small bank who does want my business, all of my business.  B of A is WAY to big for thier britches, and they can go fuck themselves.  They will never get another chance with me...    

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My advice to you would be to get a personal banker at BofA and let our product set make you more money.

Have you seen anyone besides yourself saying anything good about BofA?  Why in the world would you expect someone to go back to a business that treated them like that?

First off, I work there and this misinformation is troubling.
Second, over the last 5 years, lots has changed.

This link proves some branches stay open till 6pm.
bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/locator/atmbranch/DrillAction.do?featureNumber=1&id=12566
In fact this one stays open till 7pm but it opens at 10am, so I am sure you will bitch about that. bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/locator/atmbranch/DrillAction.do?featureNumber=4&id=12496
And about BofA not doing auto-loans in a branch, that is also false.

As for that site, it reads like a Ralph Nader wanna be.  

And I am sorry, but is anyone in the US giving people free bill pay, free money transfers within and external to the bank, free online banking, free student checking with reimbursed of overdraft fees, the best online security, and free checking with DD.

Also, we are the US largest small business lender.

If you guys like your banks that great, but please stop spreading non-truths.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#48]

bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/locator/atmbranch/DrillAction.do?featureNumber=1&id=12566
In fact this one stays open till 7pm but it opens at 10am, so I am sure you will bitch about that. bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/locator/atmbranch/DrillAction.do?featureNumber=4&id=12496
And about BofA not doing auto-loans in a branch, that is also false.Also, we are the US largest small business lender.

Non-truths, bullshit.

What I posted is EXACTLY what I was told at the B of A branch on Barker Cypress just last week.  Feel free to call them and check for yourself:

7012 Barker Cypress
Cypress, TX 77433

I don't care if "other" branches stay open late.  When the B of A branch two blocks from my house closes at 4:00, B of A closes at 4:00 as far as I am concerned.  Am I supposed to go deal with another branch that stays open later just because this one has chosen to close at 4:00?  Not a chance.    

If B of A offer auto loans in their branches, then feel free to print this and take it to your Reginal Manager and ask them to call the branch above and see what they say about auto loans.  She flat out refused and told me to do it online.  She, and B of A, can pound sand.    

I understand you work for them and feel the need to defend them, but do NOT try and tell me that my experience and what I posted is a non-truth.

Actually, I challenge anyone in this thread to call that very branch above and see if they will agree to do an auto loan on site, face to face.  If they agree, get a name and I will call them myself.  If that is the case, I will print a retraction.  If they refuse and tell you to go online, then we will have confirmation the only non-truths being posted in this thread are coming from you.  

Put up or shut up Mr. Banking Ninja.          
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I am sorry, but is anyone in the US giving people free bill pay, free money transfers within and external to the bank, free online banking, free student checking with reimbursed of overdraft fees, the best online security, and free checking with DD.

Chase, they also do free overnight check
WaMu
Capital One, also open on Sundays.
Wachovia
Compass, also refunds out of network ATM Fees.
Wells Fargo
Bank of Texas
Citibank

Many large credit unions and community banks such as Legacy Bank and Viewpoint Bank off them as well. Its become standard in the industry now.

Now granted all banks require a minimum of balance or direct deposit to have these free services. But the fees must be paid somehow. I use to trade the banks portfolio at Union Bank of California, and I know how much can be made of these.

Sorry man, just couldn't help butting in

I have no problem with anyones responses.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

And about BofA not doing auto-loans in a branch, that is also false.Also, we are the US largest small business lender.

Non-truths, bullshit.

What I posted is EXACTLY what I was told at the B of A branch on Barker Cypress just last week.  Feel free to call them and check for yourself:

7012 Barker Cypress
Cypress, TX 77433

I don't care if "other" branches stay open late.  When the B of A branch two blocks from my house closes at 4:00, B of A closes at 4:00 as far as I am concerned.  Am I supposed to go deal with another branch that stays open later just because this one has chosen to close at 4:00?  Not a chance.    

If B of A offer auto loans in their branches, then feel free to print this and take it to your Reginal Manager and ask them to call the branch above and see what they say about auto loans.  She flat out refused and told me to do it online.  She, and B of A, can pound sand.    

I understand you work for them and feel the need to defend them, but do NOT try and tell me that my experience and what I posted is a non-truth.

Actually, I challenge anyone in this thread to call that very branch above and see if they will agree to do an auto loan on site, face to face.  If they agree, get a name and I will call them myself.  If that is the case, I will print a retraction.  If they refuse and tell you to go online, then we will have confirmation the only non-truths being posted in this thread are coming from you.  

Put up or shut up Mr. Banking Ninja.          

Wow...you seem angry.  I am just pointing out that everything in your post was not 100% correct.  If anyone will call, and confirm or deny the auto-loan thing, I will apologize.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top