Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2014 8:00:12 PM EDT
Nobody is perfect, we aren't either, but I love my school system.  To be fair I am biased, since I am a Clarke graduate from many years ago.  My daughter graduated a few years ago, and my son is a Sophomore this year.  

Today I was bringing my son home from a practice and he starts talking about the "big buck competition" at school.  Sure enough our high school holds a competition to see who bags the biggest buck.  I remember back in the day when you could get a excused absence for opening day of season, I'm glad to see the school still supports kids getting outdoors.

I was listening to the radio just last week and heard we actually had a 100% graduation rate last year also.  Maybe we are doing something right.  Not bad for a little county school in the valley.

Area schools exceed rates for graduation
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
This one of the main reasons my wife and I want to stay in Virginia when we start having kids.  I grew up in Albemarle county and looking back on it have nothing negative to say about the schooling.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah...we cant say anything good about our public schools in Tidewater.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah...we cant say anything good about our public schools in Tidewater.

View Quote

Biggiben.   VA Beach seems to be doing alright.

http://www.greatschools.org/find-a-school/moving/slideshows/2287-top-public-schools-large-cities.gs?page=5

#5 in the nation is not too shabby.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It's that way up here too. When my oldest granddaughter lived with us she went to kindergarten, first and second grade here. When we took her for her first day of school I met the principal who I already knew because we shoot together at the local gun club. He told me most of the teachers are involved with outdoor sports including hunting and fishing.

Granddaughter now lives in Pennsylvania just outside of Hancock, up there opening day of deer season is a school holiday.

While I was growing up in California we even had a rifle club in junior and senior high school. You sure don't see that anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe we are doing something right.  Not bad for a little county school in the valley.
View Quote

Key part right there.   YOU are doing something right, along with the school system.   A school system can be as good as it can be, but if the parents of the students are lamos, it brings the whole shebang down.   Kudos to your school board, your educators, and your whole community on a job well done!   You are all doing it right... and that seems to be a rarity anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top