Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2013 11:03:48 AM EDT
I'm in the process of renewing my GFL. I waited a little to long so I had to get an extension,  all is good at this point.
I ordered a gun and went to pick it up and had to  go through nics because an extension doesn't cover nics exemption,
learn something new everyday. Well I got a "Delay", figures, this is the main reason I have a GFL. Fast forward to the
next day, I go and check the mail, and there it is an envelope from the probate court, sweet, I'm gonna go get my new toy.
As I'm walking up the driveway, I'm feeling the envelope, no card just papers, WTF? Open it up and basically it states that they
cannot renew my GFL because back in 1993 I was arrested for" Under the influence of a CS while in possession of a firearm".
This is a FELONY charge. Wow, this is news to me, I got a Dui on my way home from a Cypress Hill / House of Pain show that night.
There were no weapons involved and it was a misdemeanor. Oh shit, cue the Gestapo, they're going to come take my guns.
I was in full panic mode, quickly took my dog to the vet to be boarded.
(totally unrelated but a funny coincidence). I got on the phone with the PD, DA and Court in Kalifornia. They were crazy helpful and
are sending me all the files on the case that completely backs up my story of the details of that night. They are sending them to me free
of charge, I guess usually its like .50 a page and you have to send in a written request that takes months. I will have it by wed and be at
probate on Thurs.  I'm confident I can get my GFL cleared up, but I don't like that Nics thing hanging out there and I don't want
my GFL being questioned by a cop who pulls me over for a tail light, and sees a back seat full of guns. I guess the moral of the
story is keep copies of any legal paperwork for life.

UPDATE
Well I dropped off copies of my paperwork on 11/12 and everyday since I anxiously check the mail. Today it finally arrived.
The Great State of Georgia has issued my GFL. Thank the Lord. So I am issuing a seece and desist order. NO MORE FELON JOKES.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Plz post address so that law abiding citizens can come by and offers on all Ur guns. Thanks a lot

Lol. I would b looking for a boat trailer to park in the yard.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks man.  I hope you get it straightened out soon.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
"while in possession of a firearm"
How can a mistake like that even be made?
You have already been BC'd a dozen times over and had a GFL so how all of a sudden does this pop up in your records?
Probably tied to Fast and Furious.....
Hope you clear that shit up and find out who/what happened and give em a little Hell for it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I call DIBS on guns and daughter!

Hehe sorryhad to!

On a serious note, this must be a recent change, otherwise how would the quiet toys have been approved?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
At least you got papers in bound. I wouldn't worry about the NICS.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]

I always thought there was something special about you...    

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I call DIBS on guns and daughter!

Hehe sorryhad to!

On a serious note, this must be a recent change, otherwise how would the quiet toys have been approved?
View Quote
Take the guns, I got the daughter!

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At least you got papers in bound. I wouldn't worry about the NICS.
View Quote

yeah, but I want to have more than congigal visits with my new toy at your shop.

Thanks to those that have reached out to me, If I have any issues at probate I will lawyer up.
I truly think the folks in Kalifornia were so helpful because they know they screwed up.

And as for dibs on my daughter? Gent and Jeep, Ill let her know she has options.
Pretty sure she will kick both your asses, if she sees you though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear about that.  I hope things get straightened out quickly
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn dude, that's fucking bullshit. Hope you get it cleared up soon!
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And as for dibs on my daughter? Gent and Jeep, Ill let her know she has options.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
They like it rough!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Update: my gun transaction has switched from Delayed to open. My Ffl has never seen this before. This is  kind of nerve racking. I think I will be relocating all my guns to an offsite location. Whats worse is my dog keeps perking up his ears at  the front door.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Gotta love data entry errors that will $%&? up your freedoms.  

Hope all goes smooth for you.  Lets hope common sense prevails, it did when we had a data entry problem that resulted in a felony stop.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Update: my gun transaction has switched from Delayed to open. My Ffl has never seen this before. This is  kind of nerve racking. I think I will be relocating all my guns to an offsite location. Whats worse is my dog keeps perking up his ears at  the front door.
View Quote

Must b some truth to it by looking at Ur codename!! Those two go together!!

Hope it works out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Open means it has gone past the 3 day maximum waiting period with no response from NICS... you should be able to pick up your gun(s)
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#18]
That means it is up to the ffl to decide if they want to give it to you isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
My neighbor went to get a CC permit here in GA.    It was denied.    Records indicated he was a felon.   Manslaughter.  Talk about someone freaked out.

It too turn out to be a " entry error ".    But it had him crapping bricks. .  And I do believe he hid his dogs.

GD
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That means it is up to the ffl to decide if they want to give it to you isn't it?
View Quote

I've transferred a number of firearms after the 3 day wait is up with no NICS response - I don't know why they wouldn't transfer it, it's perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Im sure they would, i just rather wait til i have the paperwork in hand. I dont want th to get any grief from theatf on my account.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had to help a number of people with NCIC/GCIC reporting errors.

It is almost NEVER a simple fix. GCIC has a policy of "assume the worst" if the documentation is not absolutely explicit. Any conviction related to controlled substances is going to be entered as a felony unless there is documentation showing that the charge was a misdemeanor. In an insane example, a client who resolved a misdemeanor CS case with pre-trial diversion in a municipal court had his conviction keyed in as a felony - even though no municipal court has the authority to handle felony cases. GCIC agreed that for this reason it could not be a felony - but would not correct the record without copious documentation being sent to them directly from the municipal court.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Always, always, always keep court records, judgement s, anything
dealing with the man somewhere close by. "They" can make
life interesting.    
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I received my paperwork from Kalifornia. Everything is true and correct. Off to probate court in the AM to clear my name.

Now I have to wait a couple more weeks to file my appeal with NCIC.Might have to go the route of a vpin, but all in all I am hopeful
that this will get taken care of. Although, it has been fun having that 1%er reputation
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a suppressor form 4 go problem status for failed background check, and it turned out a "79 misdemeanor in Richmond County with no disposition had been entered by GBI into the GCIC as a felony arrest (it wasn't). Took me a couple months to finally get it corrected and get my suppressor. What a hassle, I had to call numerous times to get anyone to do anything. Many folks I talked to said this was a common thing when some records were finally put onto computer. I was told all misdemeanors with no disposition were supposed to have been purged, then I was told such records were sealed, and finally the record was fixed and I passed my background check after getting the ATF person to re-run the check with the FBI. What a nightmare. Took me 10 months to finally get my Surefire Socom 5.56 can. While all this was going on, I got a trust and a Sparrow SS silencer approved and transferred with NO delays or issues by the same ATF examiner. Kinda sold me on the trust.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#26]
update in op
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
<snip>

UPDATE
Well I dropped off copies of my paperwork on 11/12 and everyday since I anxiously check the mail. Today it finally arrived.
The Great State of Georgia has issued my GFL. Thank the Lord. So I am issuing a seece and desist order. NO MORE FELON JOKES.
View Quote

Sure you don't want to change your user name to ExKalifelon?  

I grew up there, btw.  Things weren't quite so bad then, but I have no desire to go back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#28]
So how many bills was mixed up in paperwork!! Sumting smells politically crooked!!

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Hafta admit, I was watching this one with some interest.  Glad it worked out OK, although it should never have happened in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I grew up there, btw.  Things weren't quite so bad then, but I have no desire to go back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

UPDATE

bwahahahaha! that's good stuff!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

UPDATE
View Quote

Okey dokey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top