Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2006 12:27:15 AM EDT
Don't know the salesman who did it, and it prolly wasn't PC, but I mean this is horseshit.

My parents still love to get my stuff for the holidays and normally I don't ever put ammo on stuff I'd like because theres just too much to screw up( doubt I'll ever put ammo on there now again) , but seeing as college took a lot out of my finances this past term, I figured I'd ask for some WWB 9mm value packs from Walmart to help resupply my stash.

Wrote on my "list" exactly this.

9mm 115gr. Winchester White Box 100 round Value Packs (~13$ at Walmart)

Christmas morning, I get a box of Winchester SXT 9mm HP ammo. My mom complained at how my price wasn't even close to what it cost in stores... (~28$ per 50).

I asked why she grabbed such an expensive one. She then said, she showed the list to a guy at Sportsmansguide, and that's what the guy grabbed her off the shelf.

Later she found the 9mm at Walmart and tried to return it(the SXT to SportWare), (which she couldn't, and that's understandable).

But I mean the guy behind the counter should have pointed her to the WWB 50 packs or the AE at the very most. Grabbing a 28$ box of ammo off the shelf for something clearly listed as plinking ammo is just inept or purely trying to take advantage of the situation.

Take this as you will, but this just chapped my ass.

EDIT:: and for the record, I made no scene in front of my mother and made no indication that she in any way "messed up." It was a kind gesture, just money was incredibly tight this year for them, so it amplified this frustration x10.

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had sales people try that with me several times at different stores. It is usually a case of someone not knowing the products they sell...........I think.  I have never gotten the impression it was intentional but I have heard it happens often enough that maybe it is a sales trick. Personally I would make a few calls to the manager or corporate office and at the very least let em know you're ticked off. They'll probably make it right.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Later she found the 9mm at Walmart and tried to return it(the SXT to SportWare), (which she couldn't, and that's understandable).

Not to me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Damm, I got a sportsman card for christmas! Hve to throw it out!

Hey PC, you have any Dillion 308 conversion plates for the 550?
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats what I would do. In fact why don't you just send it to me, so I can dispose of it properly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Sportsman's has terribly overpriced defensive ammo. Go down the street to the Public Safety Training Center (PSTC) and you will find THE low price on Speer Gold Dots. They have the 50rd boxes for 2 or 3 dollars more than Sportsman's charges for the 20rd boxes.

They will also rent you a full auto M4 clone (after you take the safety class).
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Last time I was in there, they didn't have much of any Dillon products. I asked and it sounded like they were going to stop selling Dillon or at least not carry it in stock.

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sportsman's has terribly overpriced defensive ammo. Go down the street to the Public Safety Training Center (PSTC) and you will find THE low price on Speer Gold Dots. They have the 50rd boxes for 2 or 3 dollars more than Sportsman's charges for the 20rd boxes.

They will also rent you a full auto M4 clone (after you take the safety class).

BTDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
No dillon parts except for some dies I think.

As for your parents, I would have definitely complained.  That's bullshit, and I never would have done that.

WS, seriously, they have all sorts of reasons for not allowing ammo returns.  Some dumbass could shoot it, reload it and bring it back, for one.  Mainly all sorts of crap that people will do to cheat Sportsmans.  Trust me, people try to pull that shit all the time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't know the salesman who did it, and it prolly wasn't PC, but I mean this is horseshit.

100% horseshit.  
You should ask your mom to point out the shithead who sold her the ammo: literally go to the gun dept. and say " YEAH!! THAT'S HIM SON, RIGHT THERE!!"  Then (list in hand) ask for a manager.

A) because it would give the guy a heart attack.
B) because they need to know who is working for them.
C) because it would be funny to see the guy have a heart attack.

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

100% horseshit.  
You should ask your mom to point out the shithead who sold her the ammo: literally go to the gun dept. and say " YEAH!! THAT'S HIM SON, RIGHT THERE!!"  Then (list in hand) ask for a manager.

A) because it would give the guy a heart attack.
B) because they need to know who is working for them.
C) because it would be funny to see the guy have a heart attack.

Cheers

I like the way you think.   heh...

Mark.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No dillon parts except for some dies I think.

Thanks PC.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Having delt with dumb shit little helpers way to often i tend to not treat them very kindly I would like it much better if they would say i dont know rather when try to bullshit me.
My bigest bitch is when i ask for something and they try to sell me something else.

Gary
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had my fair share of issues with the staff at the 82nd location - one guy tried to tell me that a dying red dot was supposed to be barely visible since it sensed we were indoors.. And the guys at the gun counter act like they're doing you a favor by talking to you..

With that said, the new SW up here in Vancouver off of Fourth Plain and SR500 is exactly the same inside, but the people are a lot better to deal with, IMO. The guys at the gun counter actually know something about what they sell! Go figure. And you Oregon guys can shop tax free.. so maybe check it out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You gotta realize just because it's an outdoors type store, they are still paying minimum wage to people who for the most part know jack shit

I'd personally go in and ask to see a manager.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys have it all wrong. You need to find PCs schedule and only speak to him.
Problem fixed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You guys have it all wrong. You need to find PCs schedule and only speak to him.
Problem fixed.

I don't think he works weekends cuz I've never seen him there.

I've never had that sort of problem with SW, but long long ago when I was but a wee lad, my mother went to a gunshop to pickup some cheap plinking ammo for me and walked out with   $1 a round varmint rounds. I still have that box of .223 decades later.  I can't bring myself to shoot such expensive ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#18]
What does PC look like? I was in the other night looking for SA TRP and talked to a guy behind the counter for a bit about them... just wondering if it was him...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Man I see what you are saying but the prices and for the most part the service is pretty good, (and we usually know what we want when we step in the store) where can you go jack a guy off for an hour not buy a damn thing and not get thrown out! As far as ammo go to Salem Outdoor Marksmen (wholesale) the SW guy in Salem sent me to them saying he buys his stuff from OM cheaper than his discount at SW

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Problem fixed.

PC no longer works there at sportsmens, had something to do with the school thing...
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 3:41:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmmm...

Well, I don't work there any more, but will probably see about going beck next year when I'm on breaks.  I don't know who might have been such a pain in the ass, but I haven't seen too many problems.  

Mostly irate customers who want shit that is simply unreasonable, like folks who come in and ask us to special order some dinky accessory that they could probably get faster and cheaper by ordering it from the interweb themselves.  

Then the guys who come in, buy a bunch of shit, then want some sort of special deal.  Guess what?  I don't see any beanie-babies or cheap jewelry for sale.  That's right, because this ain't a friggin gunshow.  We don't haggle over prices.  We make it simple:  The minimum price we'll accept is printed right on that little label there.  What?  Too high?  Well, find it somewhere cheaper and we'll price match if we can, or buy it from those guys.  As a hint, chances are we can't beat Bi-Mart.  I don't know how they do it, but some of the shit they have (like 10/22's) they sell for cheaper than we can get them for.  Also, we really don't like matchign to Cabella's since you have to add in shipping, and honestly, there is a certain premium for being able to take it home now and not wait for delivery.  

Maybe I'm bitter, but I have had to put up with too many less than honest individuals trying to scam us through their own stupidity and carelessness.

Now, since that is past here's what I can do.  If I ain't busy, or don't have any pressing tasks that need to get done (such as stocking shelves, counting stock, or cleaning up the joint) I'm perfectly happy shooting the shit, talking guns, letting the customer fondle whatever guns they like.  I'll give my opinions if asked.  I try to base them on as much facts as possible.  

I'll help you find a holster.  We can sit at the counter for an hour trying different ones until one works.  

We can check out different types of ammo.  I'll even stop a "I want to try everything" newb from buying boxes of .45 GAP and .45 Colt to try out in his new 1911 (yes, it's happened several times).  

I won't try to steer anyone towards a particular gun just because it's more expensive.  I like Glocks.  You don't?  That's fine by me.  Have you seen the XD's or the new poly Sigs and Hk's?  

If you ask me a question and I don't know the answer, I'll tell you so, and find someone who does (might even be another customer).  If I can't find anyone, I have some books and teh interweb at my disposal ('cept the boss don't like us on the net 'cause he thinks we're screwing around.  As if!).

Most of the employees have some knowledge, some know alot about certain subjects, one guys seems to know way to much about everything, none of us no everything.  

If you want to know stuff about "black guns" as they call them, or autopistols.  I am pretty knowledgeable.  I don't know as much about hunting rifles, even less about shotguns, and I know jack about bird hunting.  Talk to the archery guys for muzzleloader stuff.

Beyond that, I really did enjoy working there, and I think it's a great store.  If you really have a problem with one of the employees, ask for a manager.  That's what they are there for.  If you get really good service, do the same.  Feels good when the boss says we did good instead of yelling at us.

I trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 on the above

I'll add

If you want good customer service, do your best to be a good customer.

Three years ago I bought a pistol online, had the Salem SW do the transfer.  The gun arrived, I paid the transfer fee when I picked up the gun, no muss no fuss.

Fast forward to mid November '06

I had a problem with the current transfer policy of the Salem SW.

It seems they want the fee upfront before they would fax their FFL to my guy in Georgia.

This is the first time I've been charged a FFL transfer fee without actually have the FFL complete a transfer.  Two counter people confirmed the upfront fee.  The FFL guy declined to come out from the back to discuss the fee/issue with me.  
I was nice, low-key polite and respectful with the counter guys.  No dice.  
OK.  I take my business and money elsewhere.   I felt pretty slighted and disrespected.  But getting loud and obnoxious wouldn't have changed anything.  

This is a drag, I like SW.  I bought two XD-45's this year alone.  I can't guess how much bullets/ primers/ powder etc. I've bought there.  Not anymore.

I get my primers and powder at Bi-Mart now.  All bullets, cases etc now come from Midway.  I think I can survive without buying components from SW.  Not sure about guns.  The layaway is a great thing to have access to.  

I'll have to save and buy from Mick instead.

ZM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top