Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 11/16/2008 3:35:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2008 11:16:44 AM EDT by Slipey76]
I am currently on firearms site and I put my AR up for trade since I want to build another, and well I got a response from a guy in Montgomery Alabama and so we set up a trade for two pistols plus cash for my AR, my questions is we do not live too far away from each other and is it legal to go to lets say go to his state meet up just write up a bill of sale sign it and leave or what. I have no experience in this type of thing so if anyone has an idea just let me know. Thank you.

Update Nov. 17th
We have both called gun stores to do the transfers for us and no one will do them, But the people we talk too advise us the person from Georgia, me, can go to Alabama and we can do a face to face trade with no problem. He just cannot come into Georgia due to the laws. I believe the person below this post has said this was illegal but where can I look to check the laws on this type of thing. I just do want to break any kind of law what so ever. I want this to really work and we are just trying to keep it as cheap as we can but in the end we may just have to transfer them. So what say you?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:57:27 AM EDT
No, that's not legal.

FTF deals are fine in-state, but not across state lines.  Interstate deals need to go through a FFL.

One option might be for the two of you to meet at a GA FFL to handle the paperwork in person.  If you call around you might be able to find someone to handle the paperwork for a discount, rather than a standard fee for each transfer.

People can buy long-arms through a FFL out of their state, but not pistols.   He could buy your rifle in AL, but you can't buy his pistols in AL, which is why I recommended a GA FFL.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:03:23 AM EDT
Oh o.k. well I just received and e-mail from him and he is trying to get a hold of a place in Columbus, maybe shooters of Columbus or someone we have just been trying to get this figured out for a few days.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2008 4:47:59 AM EDT by dawggs4]
DON'T GO TO SHOOTERS!!! THEY WILL NOT CUT YOU A DEAL. THEY CHARGE OUT THE AZZ FOR TRANSFERS. GO TO Range Control or northside pawn in columbus. or maybe west ga sportsman in lagrange. these will be better. trust me on this.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:54:33 AM EDT
The guy I am dealing with said he found a place that will charge for the background checks but will not charge for the transfer since we are both going to the same place. I hope this works out. We have it set up to meet this Saturday there but we will see how it goes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:32:07 PM EDT
keep us posted on how it works out
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:48:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dawggs4:
DON'T GO TO SHOOTERS!!! THEY WILL NOT CUT YOU A DEAL. THEY CHARGE OUT THE AZZ FOR TRANSFERS. GO TO Range Control or northside pawn in columbus. or maybe west ga sportsman in lagrange. these will be better. trust me on this.

When I lived down there they were outrageous back in 04-05, but I also called the AR bunker in newnan since that's who I deal with 99% of the time and they wanted $50 per transfer, I said thank you, and hot damn when I got off the phone. But I will keep yall updated.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:01:51 PM EDT
$50 dang.........
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:21:57 PM EDT
My guy that i usally go thru when i order on-line only charges 10 bucks. The local class 3 shop wanted 100 bucks. After i told him i will go somewhere else, he reduced it to 50
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:04:17 AM EDT
I used Range Control as my FFL when I orded my Cav Arms Mk II, and I only paid like $20/25

Not sure about the circumstances if the price would be same-

Range Control is definitely good to go for your future gun needs-
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:15:17 AM EDT
25 bucks is what range control charges. and ar bunker is high they dont want to transfer but want you buy their guns. so they tack on 50 bucks to drive the price up to retail.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:18:03 AM EDT
Where is range control at I live in carrollton.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:04:17 PM EDT
well just to update we decided to cancel the trade due to everything, we figured we might keep it cheap but we both would be out 20-40 bucks, it sucks I really wanted the pistols but I do get to keep my AR.
Top Top