Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2009 5:36:14 AM EDT
I arrived into work yesterday morning and settled in for the next ten minutes.  My telephone rings and its my boss.  He requests that I meet him in the VP of HR's office.  I said "okay." I walk into the office and find my boss and the HR lady sitting down.  I said down and said, "Is it time for my annual review?"

They looked at each other and said, "No." I immediately say the writing on the wall.  My boss (VP of Finance) starting to go into this financial speech.  I politely cut him off and said, "Please allow me to cut to the chase; I am getting laid off, right?"

Both of them nodded their heads and replied, "yes." I asked them, Is the reason performance related or profitability related?"

"Profitability," replied my boss.  He continued on,"You know that we are no where near last year's numbers in terms of sales and operating/product profit."

He was right, I do see the numbers everyday.  An ongoing year to date after-tax loss of over one million, negative cash flow and the bankruptcy of our biggest customer, GUBBERMINT motors.

The next five minutes was like an exit interview, with paperwork.  I asked my boss for his feed back (how did I perform over the last 1.5 years, what did I do well, what I could improve on).  

He watched me pack up my stuff, took possession of my building keycard and bank ID token.

I said farewell to my co-workers and left.

I'm not really sore or anything like that.  The timing could have been better if I wasn't getting married in four weeks.

Well today I'm going to wash the car, update my resume' and hunt for another job.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about this. You seemed to handle it very well. What exactly did you do? Maybe someone here can help you with finding a new job.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn man, that sucks.  Back in 2005 the long time job that I had shut down.  After that, I bounced around
in 2 jobs in the same field that didn't last for more that a year each.  I finally had to make a complete career
change.  I've been in the new job for 16 months now and really enjoy it.  The pays not as good, but this job
(corrections) won't be packing up and leaving like 2 out of the last 3.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I handled it very professionally.  I even showed my boss where everything was in my office, how to do certain tasks and some of my tips and tricks so he would not have such a hard time filling in for me.  

I'm not going to burn a bridge because of one of life's many little speed bumps.

I held the position of senior accountant.  I worked with the general ledger, corporate internet banking (wire transfers, positive pay, ACH transactions, foreign exchange contracts), company purchasing cards, fixed assets, internal reporting at all levels, filing property tax assessments, US department of commerce reports, etc.

I have a bachelors in Finance from UW-Milwaukee and a MBA from Keller Graduate School/DeVry University.

I am updating my resume today and starting to network.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Best of luck.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that.  Good Luck on the job search.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
another victim...

good luck!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Where in Wisconsin are you located? I work for Johnson Bank in Racine and unlike other banks we haven't lost any money and have never had a layoff in company history and our CEO said there will be none. In fact I have personally hired four people since late last year.

PM me you resume if you are in the area and would like me to give it to the right people.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear about that, welcome to my world. I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse in DePere. We never lost a dime. Now it's unemployment for 68 out of 75 people, some were lucky and found work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Everybody please buy American........
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I currently live outside of Pewaukee but I signed a lease for an apartment in Gurnee, IL about three weeks ago.  My fiancee' is working in Streamwood, IL. so we picked a place between our respective work places when I still had a job.

She still has a job for next year, but now I have to find a job somewhere in northern Illinois, Racine, Kenosha, or southern Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I currently live outside of Pewaukee but I signed a lease for an apartment in Gurnee, IL about three weeks ago.  My fiancee' is working in Streamwood, IL. so we picked a place between our respective work places when I still had a job.

She still has a job for next year, but now I have to find a job somewhere in northern Illinois, Racine, Kenosha, or southern Milwaukee.

I'm offer still stands if you would like me to give your resume to the right people at Johnson Bank where I work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
No thank you ProjectCamaro,

I would like to stay in either manufacturing or the healthcare industry.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

my Xterra was built in Tennessee and your F-150 was built in Mexico. What's the difference?
It's too late to be on the "Buy Ameicano" crap.
Where were you when NAFTA and CAFTA were signed?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my Xterra was built in Tennessee and your F-150 was built in Mexico. What's the difference?

There is a huge difference.  The $20/hr jobs ASSEMBLING cars are not nearly as significant as the R&D jobs and company profits (well maybe 5 years ago!).  In Detroit Chrysler had over 70,000 people in engineering.  An engineer making 100k per year is more important than someone assembling part A to part B.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Project Camaro,
I, after finding out that JohnsonBank didn't take any TARP funds, decided to keep my business funds and personal funds there. I also made a point to advise the Manager why I was keeping my funds there. I put through about a mil a year there and was very happy about the no-TARP funds decision. I would have disowned the bank if they had, after over 30 years with them. People do watch what you guys do....closely. Keep up the good work.

PS-It's nice to have a sister bank in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a huge difference.  The $20/hr jobs ASSEMBLING cars are not nearly as significant as the R&D jobs and company profits (well maybe 5 years ago!).  In Detroit Chrysler had over 70,000 people in engineering.  An engineer making 100k per year is more important than someone assembling part A to part B.  

Yep, I'm impressed by the dumb s$it that designed the rusting out strut towers on my 99 Caravan. Regular rocket scientist worthy of praise.
I love it. So some white shirt with no common sense is more worthy than some lowly blue collar?
You must be a self absorbed engineering type.

We have been sold out by both mob parties, some will never admit it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I'm impressed by the dumb s$it that designed the rusting out strut towers on my 99 Caravan. Regular rocket scientist worthy of praise.
I love it. So some white shirt with no common sense is more worthy than some lowly blue collar?

Yeah, because there's nothing poorly engineered on your Exterra.  My buddy had his rear end replaced 4 times on his Exterra so apparently their engineers are just as bad.  I'm not an engineer but common sense says 100k jobs are more important to the economy than 40K jobs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, because there's nothing poorly engineered on your Exterra.  My buddy had his rear end replaced 4 times on his Exterra so apparently their engineers are just as bad.  I'm not an engineer but common sense says 100k jobs are more important to the economy than 40K jobs.

You're making a pretty big assumption that the 100k and 40k jobs have a 1:1 ratio. I would assume there are quite a bit more of the 40k workers, so in the end I would think they are at least of equal importance to the economy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top