Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/16/2003 5:09:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2003 6:30:46 PM EDT by bear3351]
On Thursday, the night we lost power, I went to my store at around 8:00PM to make sure it was closed properly, I went back home and went to bed to be woken up at 10:45 by the police, they told me there was "broken glass" outside the store, my wife and I went back to the store, with 2 G19 and 1 shotgun.
The bastards had thrown a brick through the glass door, Oh well, good thing it was not any of the display windows, they are huge and very expensive, we cleaned up the mess and set ourselves up to guard the store.
At around 3:00 AM I was sitting outside, it was pitch black, I could only see shadows, then I saw someone approaching me, he asked if we were OK and kept on walking, 5 minutes later I see 4 shadows approaching, I called D, (my wife) told her to be on guard, grabbed my shotgun and waited, when they were about 10 feet away, I pumped one round, my wife pulled her G19 and kept it pointed down, they stopped in their tracks, I asked them what they wanted, all they said was, “We wanted to know if you were OK?” The same question we were asked before! Told them we were OK and they left, I am not sure but I think we were about to be mugged. I love my shotgun even more.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:16:43 AM EDT
Thank God you two are OK. Can't help but think though how the clink clunk of an M16 handle and bolt would mean nothing to those types but the click clack of a 12 guage sure does. The 12 is all I keep loaded.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:19:29 AM EDT
glad your OK .. where is your store ? .. manhattan ? .. or upstate ? .. if you dont care to share .. maybe say which county ? just curious ..
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:38:54 AM EDT
Isn't it great how some of us band together in times of trouble-NOT.
Glad you made it through the night, you set a good example for all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:24:48 AM EDT
Glad to hear all is Ok.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:08:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chrisp929:
glad your OK .. where is your store ? .. manhattan ? .. or upstate ? .. if you dont care to share .. maybe say which county ? just curious ..

It is in Nassau County, Levittown, NY.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:16:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pequa1:
Thank God you two are OK. Can't help but think though how the clink clunk of an M16 handle and bolt would mean nothing to those types but the click clack of a 12 guage sure does. The 12 is all I keep loaded.

You are so right, I have used my shotgun many times but that night when I pumped this baby, she roared so freacking loud it sent chills up my spine and I really felt protected, now Drena, my wife is buying one, the Defender 1300 Rocks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 8:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2003 8:47:24 PM EDT by bear3351]

Originally Posted By Rudison:

It is definitely great to know that even when we are not together, we do use each other to find comfort and reassurance in the things we do to protect ourselves, that night I kept remembering many of the posts that I had read in this forum and many of the talks that our tight NY, Long Island crew, have had relating to the right way to use firearms. We do band together in times of trouble.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:11:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bear3351:

Originally Posted By Rudison:

It is definitely great to know that even when we are not together, we do use each other to find comfort and reassurance in the things we do to protect ourselves, that night I kept remembering many of the posts that I had read in this forum and many of the talks that our tight NY, Long Island crew, have had relating to the right way to use firearms. We do band together in times of trouble.

I was actually refering to the Dirt bags bannning together as seperately they are cowards.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:43:39 AM EDT
Oh OK, I get it now, funny...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:09:53 AM EDT
I read somewhere that the racking of a pump shotgun is the most recognized man-made sound in the world. Don't know if that is true... I kind of doubt it... but there is no mistaking it!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:17:52 AM EDT
KLIK KLACK
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:39:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2003 11:41:38 AM EDT by Arkansas_Rocketman]

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
I read somewhere that the racking of a pump shotgun is the most recognized man-made sound in the world. Don't know if that is true... I kind of doubt it... but there is no mistaking it!

RE the noise of a pump shotgun: My Dad is a retired Arkansas State Trooper, he had to respond to a "racial tension" call in El Dorado back in the late 1960s. Desegregation, IIRC. He drove an average of 100MPH to get from his troop (in the northeast part of the state)to El Dorado, so he was already wired when he got there. The crackers were on one side of the main street in town, the brothers on the other side, both screaming and threatening each other with bodily harm. Dad said when all of the troopers lined up in the middle of the street and racked their 12ga pump guns, the silence was immediate and profound. Everybody shut up, guess they thought that they were about to eat OO buck. Too cool, just imagine the Ray-Bans, the polished boots, the S&W Model 28s in their holsters, the shiny duty rigs, and the tough-ass cops ready to kick butt. I can almost smell the fear in the hot delta air.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:35:54 PM EDT
MY BABY, THE ONE THAT WAS HEARD THAT NIGHT.

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:43:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By green18:
Glad to hear all is Ok.

Thanks Tim, I am out $450.00 for the glass door but, now I can say it was cool, really cool, to rack that shotgun, in the quiet of the night, it sure made an impression, I am getting another one for the wife, I am not letting mine go.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:08:24 PM EDT
holy shit. glad you are ok
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2003 4:42:49 AM EDT by Rudison]
I've got a couple a few 870's but my favorite is a 20ga. special field with 21" barrel.
Light, fast and recoil is no biggie.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:20:06 PM EDT
Glad everything turned out OK except for the window...and that's replaceable.

Personally, I consider the CLANK! of the bolt slamming a shell into the chamber on a Browning Auto 5 to be even scarier than the sound of a pump shotgun being racked, but admittedly it's not quite so easily recognizable sound. However, it IS the sort of sound that nobody could fail to recognize as a very deadly weapon being brought to the ready condition, and that's good enough.

Most disturbing of all is the quiet little click of the safety coming off of...ANYTHING. Especially in darkness.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:28:47 AM EDT
Looks to me in the picture above that the side-saddle rounds are inserted upside down. You want the primer ends pointing down so that you can pull them out and load without reaching around. Mine stay put while shooting a magazine, so that should not be an issue.

There's a picture at elitetacticalsources.com/tacstar.htm
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:38:05 AM EDT
What kind of store?

Grocery, jewlery, sports equipment?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:43:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bvmjethead:
What kind of store?

Grocery, jewlery, sports equipment?

hallmark type store
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:59:25 PM EDT
We had a small riot inside a few weeks ago. Flash bangs went off and then they saw the shotguns......they hit the floor and were crawling under anything.

Nothing like a 12 guage hole to peer into the bring you to the brink of seeing G*D.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:23:58 PM EDT
I spent the blackout in a bar

Most people were loading up...so was I, in a different way.

Didn't get home until after 1am (and I started my trek in Jersey City around 8pm)...but I got home just the same.

And no, I didn't go to work the following day. It would have required driving through the Lincoln Tunnel and Holland Tunnel traffic patterns in Jersey. Fvck that!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:44:48 AM EDT
I'm kinda surprised you didn't pick up the Calverton Posse to help with the store! Could have EASILY given a couple "thank you cards" in return!

Glad everything is ok though, sucks about the glass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:32:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Balzac72:
I'm kinda surprised you didn't pick up the Calverton Posse to help with the store! Could have EASILY given a couple "thank you cards" in return!

Glad everything is ok though, sucks about the glass.

At around 2:00AM I was thinking about that.

OT Are you back??
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:45:31 AM EDT
Nope, still in Prague with the Pragish. God I love these women!
Top Top