Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 6:48:40 AM EDT
www.kc3.com/news/chicago_confiscation.htm

I have to admit, I really do not know all the facts about the FOID card, but we have to clean your state up.  This is crap.  Total crap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I hang out on Pre-Ban not on AR15.com that often. However after 16 people viewed this thread and not one commented on it to you, who took the time to travel over here to let us see how bad it really is, is depressing. No wonder we have no gun rights.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I currently live in Illinois - have for most of my life. And the firearm laws here, notably the FOID thing, are just absolutely F'd up.  I'm telling you, if you are carrying a gun in your car, you are taking your chances - no matter how it's secured. The laws are pretty much however the police interpret them. Did you know the Illinois FOID act was modelled after Nazi gun registration laws? Seriously, I'm not kidding, almost word for word.

In two weeks, I will be a Wisconsin resident. An imported cheese-head, if you will. The state of Wisc. is not that much more gun friendly, but enough so. At least CCW got brought up for a vote (even though it was defeated) and no silly FOID cards are required.

Personally, I've given up on Illinois ever relaxing its gun laws. As long as the Daleys run Chicago, and their lap-dog Blagoyavich (sp?) sits in Springfield, there won't be any relief for good citizens. There's too much corruption here, I'm making a "tactical withdrawal"
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Living and growing up in IL, I am used to the gun laws here. It make me more appreciative of other states when I visit army buddies. I'm back in IL for the free college that if offers veterans. When I am finished with my free college, I'm outta here!  I do live over 100 miles form Chi-town and the police are more relaxed.

My 2 cents
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hang out on Pre-Ban not on AR15.com that often. However after 16 people viewed this thread and not one commented on it to you, who took the time to travel over here to let us see how bad it really is, is depressing. No wonder we have no gun rights.

What, are we supposed to say thank you?  Maybe just"Hey, that's fucked up!"  There's another thread with this link in GD, I'm sure there are more people there that have read it and not commented, if you want to go whine there too.  What does any of this have to do with our lack of gun rights?

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Fine. In my opinion this a test of what kind of balls the ISRA has.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm telling you, if you are carrying a gun in your car, you are taking your chances - no matter how it's secured. The laws are pretty much however the police interpret them. Did you know the Illinois FOID act was modelled after Nazi gun registration laws? Seriously, I'm not kidding, almost word for word.hr

Wrong on both of these assertions.  Check out GunsSaveLife.com and their article "Transport Your Gun Legally (in Illinois)".  

Sorry, it won't open right now, or I'd copy part of it here.  Unloaded and enclosed in a case is legal anywhere in a vehicle IF you also possess a valid FOID.  Otherwise (out of state-ers), put it in the trunk.  Ammunition can be anywhere, including in the case or on your person.

Could be better, but could be lots worse.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
IL is the most corrupt there is.  I live 2 blocks outside chi-town, 2 blocks closer, and i would have to give-up my handguns, unless i wanted to break the law.  While mayor Daley, (NAZI SON OF A BITCH!) continues to have his way, it won't be long before we pass california as one of worse anti-gun states in the USA.  LETS GET SOME BALLS PEOPLE!!  I can't even walk-in to a gun shop(outside of chicago of course) and ask to see the AR-15 on the wall without showing my FOID card, and getting an attitude,  "WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH A WEAPON LIKE THIS"- Hey jerkoff- your the one selling it!  And forget about asking if they have any Bre-Ban anything!  They just about shit themselves.  I can't speek for the rest of the state, but, this upper 1/4 of it sucks ass!  A bunch of closet cases!  GET INVOLVED, reading posts and surfing the web just wont cut it.  Get the family involved.  Build an AR with your son or daughter, it's fun project.  Take it to the range and shoot it with them.    Just say it  "I'M A GUN OWNER DAMN IT, AND PROUD OF IT"  ya bunch of closet cases!Semper Fi  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The CAGE article is a couple years old.

As for carrying in your car, etc, we've fought and won three court cases.

As for being a "closet case", alot of us are very involved.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I posted it because I tend to see the Illinois forum as pretty active and tight group.

It just frosted my nuts to see that article.  So the FOID card is for all guns not just handguns?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I posted it because I tend to see the Illinois forum as pretty active and tight group.

It just frosted my nuts to see that article.  So the FOID card is for all guns not just handguns?

Yep. Required to possess/buy firearms and ammunition.

It's BS inherited from our parents, and few here believe it to be tolerable, as it does not permit CCW.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Per recent news articles

United States Attorney General was supposed to be taking the state of IL to court to force them to purge names and records of transactions.  Seems it is illegal to compile a list that is over 24 hrs old or so.

Only in IL do we have a gov being sued because IT is doing something ILLEGAL!

Rebel 13
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You are asking for comment on old, old news.

The FOID card doesn't really bother me that much. What does it prevent me from doing that I would be able to do if it wasn't required?

Yeah, yeah, any restriction is intolerable.

The only problem will result from the commies in state office using the FOID requirement in ways that were not intended. I didn't vote for them.

> And Chicago is a foreign country.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The FOID card itself is stupid, if you think about it.  If you buy a gun through an ffl, they recheck your records anyway.  You can buy ammo in surrounding states.  If stopped by a leo, and you have a gun, all they have to do is check your record the old fashioned way and find out if you are a felon with a gun or not. The only useful purpose if really for honest people doing face to face tranfers, where asking the buyer to display the FOID gives you at least a little confidence that you are selling to a law abiding person.

The FOID is to put a "scarlet letter" on Illinois gun owners and that's about it.  Registration of the gun owners rather than the registration of the guns themselves, which is what they really want to do.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The FOID is to put a "scarlet letter" on Illinois gun owners and that's about it.  Registration of the gun owners rather than the registration of the guns themselves, which is what they really want to do.

There isn't anyone around here that doesn't know I'm a gun owner anyway.  I have NRA, ISRA and  "Peace Through Superior Firepower" stickers in the window by my front door.  If that doesn't clue them in then the sound of gunfire might get their attention.  The FOID card would only bother "SNEAKY" people.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:12:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Wrong on both of these assertions.  Check out GunsSaveLife.com and their article "Transport Your Gun Legally (in Illinois)".  

Believe me, I'm familiar with all the "how to transport your gun legally in ILL" rhetoric. My guns are always cased and in my trunk if I have them in the car, and the ammo separate.

I don't want to get in a pissing contest with anyone, HOWEVER it doesn't change the fact that Illinois police can and do pretty much enforce the gun laws how they see fit on any given day. Gun owners routinely have their guns confiscated by police during traffic stops because the *police,* not the gun-owners,  are ignorant of the wording of the law (or deliberately choose to ignore it, it's hard to tell). Even if the police were in the wrong, you can expect to have to go to court to get your *legal* guns back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Believe me, I'm familiar with all the "how to transport your gun legally in ILL" rhetoric. My guns are always cased and in my trunk if I have them in the car, and the ammo separate.

I don't want to get in a pissing contest with anyone, HOWEVER it doesn't change the fact that Illinois police can and do pretty much enforce the gun laws how they see fit on any given day. Gun owners routinely have their guns confiscated by police during traffic stops because the *police,* not the gun-owners,  are ignorant of the wording of the law (or deliberately choose to ignore it, it's hard to tell). Even if the police were in the wrong, you can expect to have to go to court to get your *legal* guns back.

Law Enforcement can confiscate guns in any state. Illinois just happens to be particulary bad.

Keep you guns in a case, in the trunk, unloaded. If you are pulled over by a LEO and they ask if you have any weapons in your vehicle, just say "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle." If they ask for your permission to search your car say "No." If they hassle you ask them to call their sargent or duty commander and make them get him on the scene.  

If they continue to ask to search your car make them get a warrant.

Finally, don't live in Chicago.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Two blocks OUTSIDE of chicago, and its not much better.  I work in high-rise building restoration, and belive me, if i could find an oasise of high-rise buildings in the middle of Montana that need work, i would be outta here.  You think Daley's Nazi bullshit is limited to chicago, just wait until after the ban is lifted, and he and gov. Goblowabitch rain a shit storm of new legislation for the rest of you in this state.  It will make you wish the current ban would stand.  It sure ain't gonna get any better folks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have links to a few of these egregious acts?

I'll dispute "routinely", but I will agree that mistaken arrests happen.  How else would we have the appellate court cases that our side won?

"In the trunk" is indeed more ... safe.

Some (many?) police do misconstrue the law, which is badly worded.  For example, ISP did in the past mistakenly distribute information that "a loaded magazine is the same as a loaded gun."

Might also note the guy in Dupage County who was mistakenly arrested dispite carrying legally in his backpack.  It took way too long for the SA to figure it out and do the right thing.  I met him at a CCRA meeting, but can't remember his name at the moment.  It happened about two years ago.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
lol I give you guys a little shit and the thread starts popping. I knew it would work!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The FOID card itself is stupid, if you think about it.  If you buy a gun through an ffl, they recheck your records anyway.  You can buy ammo in surrounding states.  If stopped by a leo, and you have a gun, all they have to do is check your record the old fashioned way and find out if you are a felon with a gun or not. The only useful purpose if really for honest people doing face to face tranfers, where asking the buyer to display the FOID gives you at least a little confidence that you are selling to a law abiding person.

No. You couldn't be more wrong. The FOID act was a result of the original Daley dynasty rewriting the Illinois Constitution. The REAL reason for the FOID act was to keep minorities from obtaining guns in Illinois after they mourned the Death of Martin Luther King by torching their neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
IL is the most corrupt there is.  I live 2 blocks outside chi-town, 2 blocks closer, and i would have to give-up my handguns, unless i wanted to break the law.  While mayor Daley, (NAZI SON OF A BITCH!) continues to have his way, it won't be long before we pass california as one of worse anti-gun states in the USA.  LETS GET SOME BALLS PEOPLE!!  I can't even walk-in to a gun shop(outside of chicago of course) and ask to see the AR-15 on the wall without showing my FOID card, and getting an attitude,  "WHAT DO YOU WANT WITH A WEAPON LIKE THIS"- Hey jerkoff- your the one selling it!  And forget about asking if they have any Bre-Ban anything!  They just about shit themselves.  I can't speek for the rest of the state, but, this upper 1/4 of it sucks ass!  A bunch of closet cases!  GET INVOLVED, reading posts and surfing the web just wont cut it.  Get the family involved.  Build an AR with your son or daughter, it's fun project.  Take it to the range and shoot it with them.    Just say it  "I'M A GUN OWNER DAMN IT, AND PROUD OF IT"  ya bunch of closet cases!

Semper Fi  

Who the hell are you? Firstly, welcome to the site and puberty. We have been at it awhile, but thanks for your piss and vinegar.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
We live in the same state but obviously in different worlds.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No, I don't bother keeping links to every news article about this state that p!sses me off, if I did, my hard drive would explode edit/ although www.concealcarry.org is a great, if biased, site to keep track of general gun-related news in Illinois.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Might also note the guy in Dupage County who was mistakenly arrested dispite carrying legally in his backpack.  It took way too long for the SA to figure it out and do the right thing.  I met him at a CCRA meeting, but can't remember his name at the moment.  It happened about two years ago.

The guy is John Horstman, and his cases became the first test case the Oak Brook based Concealed Carry, Inc. fought.

Hortsman recently settled a lawsuit against DuPage for wrongful arrest. He got 50K.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No. You couldn't be more wrong. The FOID act was a result of the original Daley dynasty rewriting the Illinois Constitution. The REAL reason for the FOID act was to keep minorities from obtaining guns in Illinois after they mourned the Death of Martin Luther King by torching their neighborhoods.

BINGO !!!!!

FOID was suppossed to keep "those people" friom buying guns and ammo.

My Dad and I went to gunshops and ranges numerous times when I was a kid (1970's) and he was never asked for a FOID and in fact NEVER BOTHERED TO GET ONE. He was able to buy skeet ammo nonetheless.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the welcome patriot73.  I may be new to your little site, but I, like you, have been at this for awhile.  "Who the hell are you", maybe I'm not politicaly correct enough for your taste.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BINGO !!!!!

FOID was suppossed to keep "those people" friom buying guns and ammo.

My Dad and I went to gunshops and ranges numerous times when I was a kid (1970's) and he was never asked for a FOID and in fact NEVER BOTHERED TO GET ONE. He was able to buy skeet ammo nonetheless.

CKMorley

Yep, that's right. In 1980 I would walk from the 100 yard benches at Fox Valley to go buy more ammo when Dad and his buddies and I ran out. I was 7. No one asked for a FOID and nobody found it weird that a 7 yeard old was buying ammo. Illinois isn't even close to the state it was in 1980. FOID's used to be a considered a joke.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks for the welcome patriot73.  I may be new to your little site, but I, like you, have been at this for awhile.  "Who the hell are you", maybe I'm not politicaly correct enough for your taste.  

Good, I'm glad you're on our side and we do need you, we need everyone. Let that be a lesson though in preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a former Chicago Rezident, I can say that the CPD has a "bust 'em all and let the Courts sort it out"
attitiude. You may be completely in the the right, but the officer can write it up anyway they feel and off you go to the pokey. They are banking that you will decide that a $500 gun is not worth spending $5000 in legal fees trying to get back.

The bottom line:

The CPD wants guns out of Chicago, legally owned or otherwise........

I left Chicago in 1996 (to Virginia) for good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:59:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a former Chicago Rezident, I can say that the CPD has a "bust 'em all and let the Courts sort it out"
attitiude. You may be completely in the the right, but the officer can write it up anyway they feel and off you go to the pokey. They are banking that you will decide that a $500 gun is not worth spending $5000 in legal fees trying to get back.

The bottom line:

The CPD wants guns out of Chicago, legally owned or otherwise........

I left Chicago in 1996 (to Virginia) for good.

Yep. $25k per year tyrants.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#32]
CCRA's newsletter included a reference to a court decision in my district that a presenting a FOID as ID was grounds for searching the car. Here's how it broke down.

Evidently the police can ask for ID during a what's called a Terry stop, IIRC. This guy had no ID, so gave the officer his FOID. The officer asked if he had a gun in his car. He said he did, so the officer searched the car and found it. The search was found to be reasonable, because the weapon posed a threat to the officer's safety, according to the court.

I'm sure that someone will correct any mistakes I made in the above--I skimmed the article briefly at lunch one day, then buried my FOID deeper in my wallet. Nobody's damn business what's in my car.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
CCRA's newsletter included a reference to a court decision in my district that a presenting a FOID as ID was grounds for searching the car. Here's how it broke down.

Evidently the police can ask for ID during a what's called a Terry stop, IIRC. This guy had no ID, so gave the officer his FOID. The officer asked if he had a gun in his car. He said he did, so the officer searched the car and found it. The search was found to be reasonable, because the weapon posed a threat to the officer's safety, according to the court.

I'm sure that someone will correct any mistakes I made in the above--I skimmed the article briefly at lunch one day, then buried my FOID deeper in my wallet. Nobody's damn business what's in my car.

Yes, I read this in the newsletter at the gunshop.  I will never use my FOID card as ID, ever.  As they ruled it, using your FOID as an ID waives your 4th amendment rights.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top