Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 9:41:34 AM EDT
I have been wanting a single action revolver for some time now.  I am not into cowboy shooting or anything I just think one would be fun to shoot and I hate anything with a double action trigger so a modern revolver is out.  I was planning on buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag or .45LC soon but after handling this I couldn't resist.  The trigger is so crisp and it fits my hand like a glove.  I can't wait to try her out.

It's an Nickel Plated Uberti Cimmaron in .357mag.  They didn't have one in .45LC and I already have reloading dies for .357 so I decided it was the best pick for me.

And all  I planned to do today was pick up a package at UPS.  I had money though from selling some stuff so it's no big deal.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn I thought I had the res up higher.  Those are some small pics.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
wait untill it breaks a part, I've got one about 6 years ago in 45lc/acp that broke the cylander pawl, when I found one, it was $40+ shipped, it also broke, now I might have gotten two defective parts I don't know, I still like the pistol, but I havn't repaired it yet, instead I bought a SS vaquaro, now its not as light as the uberti, but the ruger cost $26 bucks more and will handle +P 45lc loads which I would never shoot in the uberti,

not to knock them though, like I said I still like mine and it shot great before the part broke, and I'd like to have one of their 45lc 73' winchesters with the 30" barrel, I don't know what you gave for it, but if you like it, then it was a great deal and maybe you'll have better luck with yours than I had with mine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, Lord knows I've had better luck with my Taurus than some other folks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it.....................  I'm a big fan of single actions,  I've got a few(2) colts in 44-40.

One nickel and one blue.   Sig, enjoy you shootin' iron and go make some smoke

Dave
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Your lucky i'm not a super moderator .... smart ass
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey there, that is a great looking six-shooter.  The SAA have a special place in my heart.  I tell you what, if you have any teoublew with it Cimarron will take care of you and I  have been on the inside more than once.

How about the Para?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey there, that is a great looking six-shooter.  The SAA have a special place in my heart.  I tell you what, if you have any teoublew with it Cimarron will take care of you and I  have been on the inside more than once.

How about the Para?

Still don't have the Para yet.  Should be done in a couple of weeks if everything is going as planned at DSA.  I'll let you know when it's done though.  I'm looking forward to it but I try not to think about it so the wait won't seem so long.  BTW, how have you been?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
LOOKS  SWEET
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I was being serious on that one. I haven't had any trouble at all out of my Taurus .22 revolver. I've been pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, real lucky, doesn't want to end up with a boot in his ass now does he.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot it today along with my first ever batch of reloads.  I only put factory ammo through the revolver though.  It shot really nice.  Very fun to plink with and very accurate.  Full power .357 magnum feels like nothing with it, not that .357 is major or anything.

My reloads were .45 and it was very satisfying to shoot ammo I made myself.  I am very happy all around with my results.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a nice 6 shooter!
One of these days I'm going to get a nice single action in 45 longcolt.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I shot it today along with my first ever batch of reloads.  I only put factory ammo through the revolver though.  It shot really nice.  Very fun to plink with and very accurate.  Full power .357 magnum feels like nothing with it, not that .357 is major or anything.

My reloads were .45 and it was very satisfying to shoot ammo I made myself.  I am very happy all around with my results.

I'm not trying to sound like a troll or nothing because I'm probably going too, but if your shooting factory 357 mag ammo, its not full power loads, the ammo manufacturers have down loaded 357 so that it could be used safely in the smaller framed revolvers, the current 158gr load is only loaded to 1150fps or so depending on the maker, the original 158gr loading was 1500fps outta an 8" barrel, crank offa a few of those and you can feel the difference, same way with your 45acp, you can load up some +p loads that are published in the manuels, their a world of difference apart from any you'd get from the factory.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not trying to sound like a troll or nothing because I'm probably going too, but if your shooting factory 357 mag ammo, its not full power loads, the ammo manufacturers have down loaded 357 so that it could be used safely in the smaller framed revolvers, the current 158gr load is only loaded to 1150fps or so depending on the maker, the original 158gr loading was 1500fps outta an 8" barrel, crank offa a few of those and you can feel the difference, same way with your 45acp, you can load up some +p loads that are published in the manuels, their a world of difference apart from any you'd get from the factory.

I just meant it's 158gr not the lighter bullets.  I guess I'd consider +p extra power loads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Also I know there are heavier bullets than 158gr like 200gr but it was my understanding they aren't normal loads and can only be used in certain heavy frame revolvers or in contenders.  I could be talking out of my ass on this it's just what I understood.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Also I know there are heavier bullets than 158gr like 200gr but it was my understanding they aren't normal loads and can only be used in certain heavy frame revolvers or in contenders.  I could be talking out of my ass on this it's just what I understood.

well when S&W first designed the 357mag it was built on what people called the 38/44 large frame smith, that was the revolver that shot the 158gr. LRN at 1500 fps, that load was around for years until S&W and others started building the 357 on medium and small frames, it was then that the factories started down loading the 158gr. JHP to 1150fps which is the std. loading today, if you got a ruger blackhawk/vaquero, gp100 or large frame S&W, Dan Wesson ect. you can safely shoot the full pressure 357 mag 158gr JHP 1500fps loads, I've shot animals with this load (XTP bullet) through a 7 1/2" blackhawk and it works great on deer sized game and smaller, I don't have any experiance with any of the heavier bullets, so I can't say as to how they perform.

the +Ps I spoke of are for the 45acp, you can drive a 200gr JHP in excess of 1100fps and a 230 to almost 1000fps out of a 5 inch barrel, but their damn tough on pistols if you shoot a lot of them, even guns like the ruger P90 that were designed to handle the +P loading, I've shot a five gallon bucket full of the 200gr ones through mine and its slide is loose, still shoots strait, just got a bit of rattle to it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well when S&W first designed the 357mag it was built on what people called the 38/44 large frame smith, that was the revolver that shot the 158gr. LRN at 1500 fps, that load was around for years until S&W and others started building the 357 on medium and small frames, it was then that the factories started down loading the 158gr. JHP to 1150fps which is the std. loading today, if you got a ruger blackhawk/vaquero, gp100 or large frame S&W, Dan Wesson ect. you can safely shoot the full pressure 357 mag 158gr JHP 1500fps loads, I've shot animals with this load (XTP bullet) through a 7 1/2" blackhawk and it works great on deer sized game and smaller, I don't have any experiance with any of the heavier bullets, so I can't say as to how they perform.

the +Ps I spoke of are for the 45acp, you can drive a 200gr JHP in excess of 1100fps and a 230 to almost 1000fps out of a 5 inch barrel, but their damn tough on pistols if you shoot a lot of them, even guns like the ruger P90 that were designed to handle the +P loading, I've shot a five gallon bucket full of the 200gr ones through mine and its slide is loose, still shoots strait, just got a bit of rattle to it.

Do you think an Uberti revolver would do alright with +p loads.  I probably won't shoot them very often but if it's strong enough I'd probably load some +p loads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]
If it were me I would not fire the original stated loads in a SAA style revolver because it will lead to wear and tear on it.  I have never had a SAA in .357mag but all in .45 Colt so I really have no basis on it.  What I do know is that the Uberti SAA generally have a lot of burrs and maching marks on that inside that can eat parts up; ask me how and why I have been on the inside of several of them!

It is not hard to polish the parts out and a SAA kit from Gunslinger in the Brownells catalogue is great.  You might check out the SASS site and ask about full power loads over there.

Take care
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Do you think an Uberti revolver would do alright with +p loads.  I probably won't shoot them very often but if it's strong enough I'd probably load some +p loads.

I wouldn't take the chance, like I posted above about my uberti, I was shooting factory PMC 45lc when mine broke the pawl twice, and the pmc stuff is made for CAS so I know its low loaded,

I don't even shoot the full pressure loads in my S&W 13, it can't handle the pressure, it'll lock up tighter than hell, to the point I have to knock the cylander open with a mallet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
N man, to mention it a while back my father gave me some "full" load .357 mag rounds from Spain and my Python locked up on it.  I took those rounds and pulled the bullets and dumped the powder and reloaded them.

Take care
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#21]
yeah man when I had my blackhawk, I shot the full up loads all the time, even put them through my taurus 66, it'd eat them like candy, but theres no way I'll try to shoot them again in my med. frame smith, its just not made for them,

besides I got a place in my heart for single action revolvers, all kinds, out of the pistols I have, the majority are single actions, I would love to have a current model colt SAA 45lc, but I'll settle for my uberti when I get it fixed again, thinking of getting one of the convertable blackhawks in 45lc/acp w/5.5" barrel, seen one a while back for $380, I got a vaquero 45lc that I dearly like, it goes with me to every shoot I attend, and would like to get one from freedom arms (454 casull) when I got something other than lint in my pocket.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#22]
N Nan,
You say you would like a current Colt, have you looked at the USFA made Colt Clones?  In my  opinion a great deal but they are starting to really get up there in price.  I have a 7.5" brl, blackpowder frame, Doug Turnbul color case hardened, Armory blue, factory Trigger and action job, Ivory grips that will never go anywhere.  Accurate and pretty.  Right now I am down to this one SAA but will be looking for another in 4.75" brl pretty soon.

Long Live the SAA
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I havn't looked at the clones other than the uberti I got, I had a chance to buy a real colt SAA when I bought my vaquero, still kicking myself for not buying it, it was a hell of a deal that I probably won't ever come across again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top