Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 2:45:58 PM EDT
G'day all. New member here, and I just found the Hometown section.

I live in the Chicago suburbs, and I have asked everyone that will listen about the legality of a AR type rifle. I called the State Police, I called my local LE (they never called back), I called the Cook County Sheriff. One of the places I am considering moving to is in Cook County.

Now, from any of the people I have talked to (Guys at GAT, ALL LE) I did not get one single definitive answer on the legality of the weapon in Cook County. To the contrary, both the Statie and the LEO from the Cook County Sheriff, while they did not appear to be sure, said they were not currently illegal but there is a vote pending that would make them so.

From there I go to www.firearmslawcenter.com and find this:

"Aurora, Chicago, Cicero, COOK COUNTY, Niles, Oak Park have generally banned the transfer or possession of assault weapons".

"Generally" banned?

Who here knows? Is a AR legal to own in Cook County? If it is not legal, can I buy it and store it in another county?

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I haven't gotten a hit in yet. Can you guys help me out?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy it and have an out of county FFL transfer it.

Wow, that was easy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is another link that may help you out. Link to info

IllinoisCarry.com Dedicated to advancing concealed carry legislation in Illinois.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Careful my man, you will have a "useful idiot" claiming a COC violation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just buy it and have an out of county FFL transfer it.

Wow, that was easy. hr

Well, as you may have seen in the AR forum, it is a little late. (where's the thumbs up icon?)

The weapon was purchased in another county where there are no such problems. Of course, being unsure of legality, I would never bring the rifle into Cook County without knowing whether or not it's legal. I have multiple options for storing the weapon in places other than Cook County.

Not_so_Clever, what's a COC violation?

Isn't this something? It wouldn't mean dick, I know, but if I did run into problems with LE, I could claim an extensive amount of research on this issue with no clear cut answer. How am I supposed to follow the law if no one can tell me what the law is?

When I talked to the Cook County Sheriff (who btw was none too pleased with the administration. Pretty cool dude and very helpful), and I really didn't get a firm answer, I asked him OK, what would you do if you pulled me over and found the weapon in my possession (locked up in the trunk properly and all)? Again, no definative answer.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys.

Who wants to fill me in on the Buffalo Range? I didn't find a website. Is there one?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a Cook County AWB. I have the text on a pdf. Basically, if you live in an unicorporated area or a place like Oak Park, Morton Grove, you have some things to consider. First, Colt AR15's specifically are named (other brands/ AR15 type not mentioned so you might technically get away with them). Next forget about anything AK type, HK type, FNC, Aug, AR180, detachable mag SKS, Mini14 folder, or just about any thing else that was in production or exisitance in 1993 when Dick "less" Phelan decided to violate our rights. However, if you live in a town with a gun shop, which generally means its own gun laws, which superceed county law, you are okay to have the evil stuff. Just be sure they don't state they do not superceed county law, as Oak Park's code states.

The other thing is that just last month a revised AWB was supposed to have been brought for a vote but died in commitee, (some would say thanks to us on some level). It would ban just about everything for those in the unicorporated areas and Oak Park. Lets keep an eye out for it just in case they try to bring it back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The other thing, is that you mentioned calling the county sheriff. Waste of time. Cook county has been in violation of state law for several years by not submitting their ordinance to the state police for posting, despite the ordinance being on the books for years before the state law mandating all gun laws be submitted to the ISP for posting. Maybe those crooks think that county government does not qualify as a municipality and is there for exempt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks LD. Good info and the first definative answer I have received.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is a Cook County AWB. I have the text on a pdf.

I too have the text in .pdf format.  If I remember correctly, someone on the Illinois Forum took the time to type out the text so that we could post it in the forum.

I will try to find the post.  If I find it, maybe Cody can add a link to one of the tacked threads above.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW,  I think one can extrapolate what the Cook Co. AWB presently says by reviewing Commissioner Suffredin's proposed amendment on his website (until he takes it down out of embarrassment, that is):

www.suffredin.org/LegislativeLibrary/Legislation.asp?LegislationID=123&Library=cook#log

Strikethrough in legislat-ese typically represents that an amendment will remove the stricken text and often replace it with new text which is typically underlined.  Ergo, if you look at the "stricken" language, it should indicate what the present AWB states.  No guarantees, though.

(The proposed amendment has apparently been tabled amid controversy and the successful intervention of some of the very members of this board.   That topic was the subject of a couple other threads on this board, notably: HERE, HERE, and HERE )

BTW, how they could construe a GI M1 Carbine as an "assault weapon" is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wanted to update my own question after speaking with a LEO in my locality. I was directed to this particular officer as someone who is very knowledgable regarding firearms law in Illinois.

Basically, I was told my Bushmaster AR is (currently) perfectly legal to possess in Cook County, with the possible exception of unincorporated areas. Legality of the weapon in unincorporated Cook County is questionable.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#14]

I have retyped it all into the AR15.COM server, and will now be located here for all eternity.

Finally, something permanent in my life. Thanks for the effort, coyote Sir.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have retyped it all into the AR15.COM server, and will now be located here for all eternity.

Finally, something permanent in my life.

Thanks for the effort, coyote Sir.

+1, This would have saved me a month of worries last year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The other thing, is that you mentioned calling the county sheriff. Waste of time. Cook county has been in violation of state law for several years by not submitting their ordinance to the state police for posting, despite the ordinance being on the books for years before the state law mandating all gun laws be submitted to the ISP for posting. Maybe those crooks think that county government does not qualify as a municipality and is there for exempt.

This is probably why it does not show up in the ATF book of gun laws that you get when you get your C&R.  It is supposed to be a comprehensive list, but Cook County is not in there....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top