Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2010 3:09:43 PM EDT
Over the weekend and had an absolute blast. The people there were very friendly and willing to ask any questions I had. While I didn't score very well this time around...I think next month will be much better for me. I think the ACTS shoot is going to become a regular monthly event for me.

I'm in the process of shopping for a new "paddle" style holster and some mag pouches for my G19. I'm also looking into either some AR mag pouches or a lightweight/simple chest rig for mag carrying capabilities. Since I've mentioned it...do any of you guys have brand/type recommendations?

For any of you who are considering attending one of these events..I strongly encourage it.

That is all..

-D2V
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Which shoot did you attend?

I wonder because I was informed about their rifle shoots at a local action rifle event, though was put off ease when I checked out their site, and it seemed to resemble some kind of pseudo-militia thing (rules banning everything shy of army issue basics, 'realism' scenarios looking more like something from a video game, etc).

I know many times websites are not updated or competently run for small groups, so I've been trying to find folks who've attended their actual events to see if its more shooting for your own experience/improvement than for competition.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I was at the Bellevue event this last weekend(the second Saturday of the month). While this is literally my first action-shoot ever...I didn't get the impression of a militia-type strict organization. It's much more like a shoot organized with regulations concerning the type of engagement tactics used. This approach helps keep the scores relevant to each shooter's skill set(versus some shooters doing better than others because they didn't use cover).

What was expressed to me was treating the situation as if it was real....I.E. not sticking your head above concealment to fire...the use of tactical order, etc.

As far as the competitive environment...the scores weren't even posted until a couple of days after the event. Nearly everyone that I spoke to there weren't concerned in the least about their standings...just improving their skill-set and competing against themselves.

-D2V

As far as the "military basics" equipment thing...I ran a complete Noveske N4 14.5" with a Geiselle SSA, Aimpoint Comp ML3, and KAC RAS/VFG. Not very basic.  The only thing my upgrades did to my standing at the shoot was move me to the "enhanced" class. I saw guys there running heavily modded rifles, brakes, etc.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm also looking into either some AR mag pouches or a lightweight/simple chest rig for mag carrying capabilities.

There are a number of good belt pouches out there.  

For the most part, the "tactical" chest rigs I've seen are geared too much toward retention, and not so much toward accessibility.  I don't like too much crap on my belt.  The couple of times I shot ACTS, I had a holster, a double-mag holder for the pistol, and a rifle mag in the back pocket.

A lot of the shooters there shoot way too many rounds in the target and end up reloading on a stage where they shouldn't have to.  Standing reloads kill your time.  Some argue that they shoot like they train.  It's a game for me, so I'm going to try and get the best score in the shortest amount of time while playing within the rules.  

I suppose both types can be happy.  I get to compete, and they get to practice their "tactical" stuff.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wonder because I was informed about their rifle shoots at a local action rifle event, though was put off ease when I checked out their site, and it seemed to resemble some kind of pseudo-militia thing...

See my comments above.  They're generally a friendly bunch.  Some of them are a little too geared out.  But don't let that put you off.  Shot up and shoot and have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Very interesting and reassuring to hear that they're more focused on sound tactics.

Got so distracted by your attending ACTS that I forgot the rest of your post, but I use an HSGI Weesatch for my AR and love it. Its medium sized and fairly compact for a plate carrier and has built in pouches for 8-10 mags, plus the open sides make it much more breathable in the summer, and expandable enough to go over a jacket in the fall. Its a bit expensive at around $200, but you can find them on the EE or ebay for less sometimes, alternately there are tons of surplus LBVs in 3color desert on the market for next to nothing if you want something on the cheap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm also looking into either some AR mag pouches or a lightweight/simple chest rig for mag carrying capabilities.

There are a number of good belt pouches out there.  

For the most part, the "tactical" chest rigs I've seen are geared too much toward retention, and not so much toward accessibility.  I don't like too much crap on my belt.  The couple of times I shot ACTS, I had a holster, a double-mag holder for the pistol, and a rifle mag in the back pocket.

A lot of the shooters there shoot way too many rounds in the target and end up reloading on a stage where they shouldn't have to.  Standing reloads kill your time.  Some argue that they shoot like they train.  It's a game for me, so I'm going to try and get the best score in the shortest amount of time while playing within the rules.  

I suppose both types can be happy.  I get to compete, and they get to practice their "tactical" stuff.

I saw the same thing(lots of rounds into targets)...some guys were putting 5-6-7, etc rounds into each target. Now, granted, the best two shots count...but how many do you really need?

I actually only fired two rounds into each of the rifle targets. I found that for the entire shoot I only fired 51 rounds of .223(counting the half-mag I burned up plinking steel at the end of the shoot). With proper shot placement two rounds(at least for the ACTS match) is all you need. Just my $.02.

-D2V

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They're generally a friendly bunch.  Some of them are a little too geared out.  But don't let that put you off.  Shot up and shoot and have a good time.

I was considering it until I read their rules (and the lack of a true Open class), and no one has been able to answer if they'll let you take part even if your rifle doesn't fit into their specs (I use a FSC556 and FSC47 which they have banned). So I might have to wait until the 5.45 Saiga I ordered arrives (looking at Christmas, so hopefully I'll get one gift I want ).

Thanks for the info and sorry about the mini-threadjack.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're generally a friendly bunch.  Some of them are a little too geared out.  But don't let that put you off.  Shot up and shoot and have a good time.

I was considering it until I read their rules (and the lack of a true Open class), and no one has been able to answer if they'll let you take part even if your rifle doesn't fit into their specs (I use a FSC556 and FSC47 which they have banned). So I might have to wait until the 5.45 Saiga I ordered arrives (looking at Christmas, so hopefully I'll get one gift I want ).

Thanks for the info and sorry about the mini-threadjack.

I saw several FSC556s while I was there..I think their posted rules might not be so strictly enforced. Other than SBRs and suppressors there was every type/sort of AR variant represented at the shoot last weekend. There were even a couple of AR pistols being run during the course. One guy even had a AR57 pistol...pretty cool.

-D2V
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Dammit, I have to get over there.  I've been so damn busy.  I now have my own range in my backyard, so I can practice without all the Fudds yelling at me for rate of fire.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#10]
OK guys, where can I find more info on ACTS.  I've never done any organized shoots or competitions, but would like to try.  Of course, I'm not looking for a high speed match at this point, just want to improve my skills & have some fun.  Bellevue is right down the road from me, so looks like a place to start.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]

I saw the same thing(lots of rounds into targets)...some guys were putting 5-6-7, etc rounds into each target. Now, granted, the best two shots count...but how many do you really need?

I actually only fired two rounds into each of the rifle targets. I found that for the entire shoot I only fired 51 rounds of .223(counting the half-mag I burned up plinking steel at the end of the shoot). With proper shot placement two rounds(at least for the ACTS match) is all you need. Just my $.02.

-D2V

[/quote]

define your mission or job.....how many does it take? I know shooters there that can place 5-6 shots in under 2 seconds  there on target  pretty easy all a zone hits......

there are MIL/LEO/Contractors?serious students and gamers who all shoot acts to each its a different thing
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-D2V

define your mission or job.....how many does it take? I know shooters there that can place 5-6 shots in under 2 seconds  there on target  pretty easy all a zone hits......

there are MIL/LEO/Contractors?serious students and gamers who all shoot acts to each its a different thing[/quote]

True, but it only takes two hits to "neutralize the target". I wasn't criticizing the other shooters(most of whom have more experience than me)...but I don't see the need to put more than two rounds into each target...providing that they are good hits.
If this was a "mission or job" involving actual live targets then I would use as many rounds as needed. For this particular mission or job...it only takes two hits.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are MIL/LEO/Contractors?serious students and gamers who all shoot acts to each its a different thing

True, but it only takes two hits to "neutralize the target". I wasn't criticizing the other shooters(most of whom have more experience than me)...but I don't see the need to put more than two rounds into each target...providing that they are good hits.
If this was a "mission or job" involving actual live targets then I would use as many rounds as needed. For this particular mission or job...it only takes two hits.

I think you are unable to see beyond your own paradigm.  That is an observation, not a veiled insult.  Whether each stage is simply a puzzle to solve for the best score or an opportunity to practice techniques and skills that may be necessary in a real world lethal force encounter is determined by each shooter.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey I think I know who you are DTV, I was the other noob in 1st squad.
this was my 1st shoot there as well, I have shot action pistol, and IDPA and loved this shoot, good people, good time.
have tried to get approved on the forum so I could see the scores but they haven't responded back yet. (gosh how long does it take?!)

I ran 3 shots per target, that's what I perceived most in my squad shooting.

I really want to make more of these shoots in  the future.

I am thinking of going to belt pouches for my AR rig as well, but I also am thinking of running my FAL at on of the shoots or my AK, both of which would require different mag pouches.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 2:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
have tried to get approved on the forum so I could see the scores but they haven't responded back yet. (gosh how long does it take?!)

I didn't think you needed to be logged in to see scores.  Does this link work for you?
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Rotty, you shouldn't need to be approved. Try again and let me know if you can't post.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#18]
ok, that worked, Thanks!
I was thinking someone told me that they were in the members only forum, like the photos from the shoot. I have been watching the videos posted....some pretty good video work on most of them.
Still would like to get members status on the forums.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I like ACTS.  Good place to shoot, good people, like the rules better then other venues.  The gear rules are made to keep out the game guns...FSC556 has been allowed for quite some time, actually.  The rule book should have the rules about break, there is a limit on it's dimensions, plus extended (+30 round) mags, and I think that's about it.

As far as shots on targets goes...does it really matter?  Some people use two, some use 6 or more.  ACTS is whatever you make it.  Some people want the fastest time, other people use it as a sort of 'recital' to get a more realistic gauge of their skills as taught by whoever.  In such cases those shooters will likely want more rounds on target, especially at closer ranges, to more closely mimic real life.  Let's face it, 5.56 isn't some magic round where everyone dies when you hit them twice COM.

For gear check out Raven.  I run either Raven or NTAC (same idea) for all my belt gear.  I don't run chest rigs, I'll never where one in real life, and they suck for reloads in many cases.  Just holds the mags to tight, or with too much material covering it, or with straps and such in the way...plus it adds a ton of stuff on your person that can catch on stuff.  I run a redi-mag on my rifle, one extra mag for rifle and pistol on my belt.  If the match looks to be more pistol heavy I'll either swap in a double pistol carrier in addition to the rifle carrier or I'll drop the rifle carrier entirely.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#20]
so where do you find Raven gear at?
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Rotty, did you pay Jim for a membership or pay via web? If so, shoot me a PM with your name and I'll make sure to give you the permission when I get home tonight. I don't recall there being any additional pictures in there. Mostly we yell at each other and talk about our kids. ;-)
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I think it's malabarfront.com or pm tfin04 here, or Tom on the acts board. He's their director of sales.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#23]
The other ACTS chapter in MI is in marlette MI. Its held the forth sat. of the month. And it takes place at the marlette sportsman`s club on white creek rd. For those that don`t know marlette is about 1/2 hour north of imaly city on m-53.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Rotty, did you pay Jim for a membership or pay via web? If so, shoot me a PM with your name and I'll make sure to give you the permission when I get home tonight. I don't recall there being any additional pictures in there. Mostly we yell at each other and talk about our kids. ;-)

I actually was referring to registering on the website, I didn't see anything about having to pay for that. I will be looking for a paying membership soon
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think it's malabarfront.com or pm tfin04 here, or Tom on the acts board. He's their director of sales.

no response from him so far, and i don't think that's the right site.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no response from him so far, and i don't think that's the right site.

http://www.themalabarfront.com/

Tom is a very busy, young man.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#27]
It was my first ACTS match as well, and I'll definitely be going back.  It was a nice match and good people.

As for the mag pouches, I'm used to reloading from the hip so I stuck with belt pouches for AR mags.  High Speed Gear makes the Taco pouch, and a buddy suggested modifying them to use Teklocks for belt mounting.  That's exactly what I did and they worked great.  The taco pouch can hold AR, M14, AK and FAL mags, and you can use it on any molle rig you want.  There are several dealers out there, but I ordered direct from HSG.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was my first ACTS match as well, and I'll definitely be going back.  It was a nice match and good people.

As for the mag pouches, I'm used to reloading from the hip so I stuck with belt pouches for AR mags.  High Speed Gear makes the Taco pouch, and a buddy suggested modifying them to use Teklocks for belt mounting.  That's exactly what I did and they worked great.  The taco pouch can hold AR, M14, AK and FAL mags, and you can use it on any molle rig you want.  There are several dealers out there, but I ordered direct from HSG.

I like the looks of those, can you show me more on how to make them work on a belt rig?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the looks of those, can you show me more on how to make them work on a belt rig?

Each pouch comes with two plastic adapters so they can be threaded on molle gear.  Originally I installed the adapters and used them as belt loops.  This works well, you just have to slide a belt through the adapters, so there's nothing quick about putting them on.  To make the teklocks work you'll have to cut the middle stitching out of the horizontal loops on the mag pouches and slide the locks through 2 loops.  It's harder to explain than it is to actually do it.  Sorry I don't have any pictures.  

While I'm new to ACTS matches, I really think two mags on the belt is plenty.  I can see where stage design might require a 4th mag, but I don't see that happening too often.  The great thing about these puoches is that they'll work for most rifles, and if you don't like them on a belt, you can mount them on a chest rig.  

If you need more info or have questions, shoot me a PM.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#30]
pm sent
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dammit, I have to get over there.  I've been so damn busy.  I now have my own range in my backyard, so I can practice without all the Fudds yelling at me for rate of fire.

i have my own range to, and no how you feel about fudds in my back-yard just my good buds out there with me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I wonder because I was informed about their rifle shoots at a local action rifle event, though was put off ease when I checked out their site, and it seemed to resemble some kind of pseudo-militia thing (rules banning everything shy of army issue basics, 'realism' scenarios looking more like something from a video game, etc).

I know many times websites are not updated or competently run for small groups, so I've been trying to find folks who've attended their actual events to see if its more shooting for your own experience/improvement than for competition.

No militia stuff going on at ACTS, it's a game nothing else. The website is not as up-to-date as it could be, but what's important is the message board, where matches are announced as should be expected. Check it out. If you feel things aren't being run 'competently' feel free to volunteer your time to fix things, instead of being a little bitch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No militia stuff going on at ACTS, it's a game nothing else. The website is not as up-to-date as it could be, but what's important is the message board, where matches are announced as should be expected. Check it out. If you feel things aren't being run 'competently' feel free to volunteer your time to fix things, instead of being a little bitch.

I believe that I Attended the same shoot with the mad axe man. We discussed the acts shoots with the RO's
They surprised me with their endorsement of your shoots. I in fact mentioned the ACTS web page and what appeared to be
A militia aftertaste to it. Nothing more. But if this guy is a representative of ACTS quality I'll stay home.

BTW that little bitch can shoot!  

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that I Attended the same shoot with the mad axe man. We discussed the acts shoots with the RO's

What do you call a militia feel? or a militia aftertaste?

I attended my 1st one and it is no more militia than IDPA or IPSC, all of those use scenario based shoot situations. if this is militia then so are most all other competitive shooting. including 3-gun, IDPA, IPSC etc....

and the comment about stop complaining, it is common practice for a lot of people to complain and poo-poo something and not do a damn thing to help make it better, I can understand the frustration.
I do think it was out of line here, not a good way to attract people, but like I said I understand.

It wont stop me from going to more ACTS shoots.

They surprised me with their endorsement of your shoots. I in fact mentioned the ACTS web page and what appeared to be
A militia aftertaste to it. Nothing more. But if this guy is a representative of ACTS quality I'll stay home.

BTW that little bitch can shoot!  

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Just saying the word 'confederation' has nothing to do with fun shooting, just government.
Mad axe was trying to gather info, not insulting ACTS. The reply from the other fella was
out of line and uncalled for.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Sacasm is lost on the net.  Don't have such a thin skin.  Come out and shoot, it is fun.

As for the confederation, it is a proper usage, note the following delfinition.
con·fed·er·a·tion (kn-fd-rshn)
n.
a. The act of forming into or becoming part of a confederacy.
b. The state of being confederated.
2. A group of confederates, especially of states or nations, united for a common purpose; a league.
3. Confederation
a. The union of the British North American colonies of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and the Province of Canada, brought about July 1, 1867, under the name Dominion of Canada.
b. The federal union of all the Canadian provinces and territories, the most recent member being Newfoundland in 1949.

Note the bolded section, it states "especially" but not exclusively.  We unite for a common purpose, friendship and shooting shit, shooting shit is fun.......
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I would love to come out to shoot with you all. I just don't want to join
the confederation that is all. There was a 3 gun match that ACTS was a part of
or ran I can't remember. But in the entry form it stated you needed to become
a member of ACTS to compete. I just want to shoot I don't need any more
Clubs or memberships that is all. At the rifle match I mentioned the ACTS website
was....different. The other poster noticed it too. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would love to come out to shoot with you all. I just don't want to join
the confederation that is all. There was a 3 gun match that ACTS was a part of
or ran I can't remember. But in the entry form it stated you needed to become
a member of ACTS to compete.

Might have been their big prize match they run each summer.  Not sure.  I know you don't have to be a member to shoot regular their monthly matches.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]
You don't have to become a member to shoot ACTS...I didn't sign up when I shot last weekend...just paid the $25 "non-member" fee.

-D2V
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#40]
You don't have to be a member to shoot monthly matches. You do have to be a member to shoot the two day prize match.

Just a heads up: If being called a whiney little bitch bothers you, ACTS might not be the right place for you. It's not a very PC group.  

They are an excellent group of people, though, who will go out of their way to help you with questions or even the loan of gear. If you are considering shooting but want to buy gear, the suggestion has always been to come to a shoot or two, see what people are using, ask to try out a couple of options and then decide what to purchase. The only requirements for gear for any shoot are to have a commercially made sling and to have a holster with enough retention to hold your pistol during jumping or running. There are rules are far as a equipment, but other than those two things, no one is going to give you a hard time your first rodeo.

It's not militia activity, by any stretch of the imagination. We have a number of reserve and active duty military, as well as industry people who shoot with us regularly, and a lot of people train pretty seriously outside of ACTS and use the competion as an opportunity to practice shooting skills. What we try to do is keep the "gaming" aspect out of it as much as can be done. We keep scores, but those are secondary to most people to shooting the best they can given a particular scenario, or even reacting properly when things go wrong.

The best example of that if your rifle goes down, you transition, even if the targets are 20'-50' away. You just do it and you probably manage to make some or maybe all of the shots, Your time is slower than it would have been if you shot with a rifle, but for the regulars, smoothly and quickly transitioning to the handgun and getting good hits on target is a lot more rewarding than having a good time represented in the scores.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Power pimp...

My membership number is 002. I knew about ACTS before it became ACTS. So I can safely say, I know a little something about the organization. I think you are reading too much into everything. The word "confederation" is just a word, nothing more. I think the gentleman that thought it up was looking for a word for the letter C and confederation fit because he was searching a word meaning goup that started with the letter C.  

ACTS is all about having fun while shooting with some buddies and like minded people, and shooting in a game however you want to shoot it. Want to make shoot it as realisitic as possible under the circumstances, no problem. Want to run it as fast as you can to see if you can get a high placing, have at it. Want to just be able to shoot and move the way you want to...go right ahead as long as you are safe. Like what was said before, ACTS is what ever you really want to make of it. It IS a tactical shooting game with rules that try to force good tactics, like shooting behind cover if available or keep moving if no cover is available. ACTS matches are not about tactical perfection or learning how to fight, it's a tactical game. Besides, most people don't have a clue how to actually fight with a rifle or a pistol, so this can also just be a good introduction to something other than shooting for groups off a bench. It's fun...that's all there is too it.

The guy who set ACTS up is a great guy and wanted to give the shooting community something other than what was already out there. I don't participate is 3 gun, or IDPA, I do, do ACTS and enjoy hanging out with people who enjoy shooting.

So please don't read to much into something that is not there. If you think ACTS is about the militia, got news for you...nope. If you think it's only about showing who's the fastest with a carbine or pistol, then you have the wrong idea. Come out and shoot one, then you can see if "it's" not to your liking. If not, then at least you know for sure.

Hope the rest of your weekend is a good one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the good info CH.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Im interested in something like this. Im sure I dont have the gear, have an AR and Glock. I live in Lake Orion, are theses shoots close to me? I lived in Belleville at one time and thats not too bad a drive. Im looking to do other shooting besides shooting from a bench.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Im interested in something like this. Im sure I dont have the gear, have an AR and Glock. I live in Lake Orion, are theses shoots close to me? I lived in Belleville at one time and thats not too bad a drive. Im looking to do other shooting besides shooting from a bench.

Your most of the way there, all you need is a sling(not homemade) and a holster that will retain the gun, a cheap Fobus or Uncle Mike's will work.  Lake O to Centerline is not a bad drive, say 40 minutes or so.  We have folks come from Lake St. Claire which is damn near Canada...
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your most of the way there, all you need is a sling(not homemade) and a holster that will retain the gun, a cheap Fobus or Uncle Mike's will work.  Lake O to Centerline is not a bad drive, say 40 minutes or so.  We have folks come from Lake St. Claire which is damn near Canada...

Just bought the Glock so getting the holster is next. I only have but a couple of Mags for each and no chest rig or tactical stuff. But that sure sounds alot better than just bench shooting. Bought my guns for fun (Do have other guns like flintlocks etc but different club for that). How easy is it to get involved, even to watch to see whats going on. A list of things even to help the day out.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for the good info CH.

My pleasure. If you come out, look me up, if I'm there, I'll buy you a pop.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey, butthead, you never buy me a pop.

Don't worry about chest rigs and all that stuff. If it were me, I wouldn't buy anything until you know what is going to work. You need a rifle with a commercially made sling..I'd recommend 2 point, but single point or 3 point would work if you prefer. You need a pistol with a holster. Everything else is bonus. To start, you can even put magazines in your pockets, although that's not the best solution. But let us know what you're shooting and I'm sure someone will have some mag carriers you can use for a match or two until you get things started to be sorted out. What usually happens is people buy a lot of cool guy gear, come out and find out its not practical.

My recommendation to new people is to just about walk the first time you come out..there's a lot going on and the stages involve moving and shooting and transitioning from a loaded carbine, which you will safe and sling, to a loaded pistol. Don't sweat doing it fast. Make sure you're doing it safely. If you don't know how to do something, just ask. No one out there was born able to do this stuff. Does that mean your score will suck first time out? Of course. So what? I get the impression you wouldn't mind, but it bothers some people if they come in last place. Don't sweat it..like I said, if you're completely new to it, walk, don't run, concentrate on handling the gun safely. Once you know that, you'll get faster.

I really hope you come out..I think you'd enjoy it. You're right..definitely more fun than bench rest shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#48]
How many mags do you need for each gun and how many rounds would one need to bring.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#49]
3 rifle, 3 pistol would suffice, 150 rifle and 100 pistol will be more than enough ammo.  You'll also need a commercial sling and a holster with some retention(think jump test).  Jefff
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I see they have a ACTS dinner planed for Sept 11th ?  Are you still planning to shoot that day ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top