Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2005 3:32:37 PM EDT
...... the rifle I put together this afternoon.

I've been collecting the peices for a few months.
Waited for deals on parts ...... no hurry .... I have guns to shoot.

Grabbed the LPK and charging handle from "Paulsen Arms" at today's show, and that was the last of my shopping list.
Came home, had some lunch, and started assembling the lower.

I caught the entry stock/tube/buffer/spring for too cheap to pass up, but it's a little short for someone who isn't wearing a hundered pounds of high speed low drag heavy shit.
I need to find a butt pad that extends it an inch or two.
That'd put it in the ball park of a Sully Stock, which is where I want to be with it.
Anyone have a butt pad sitting around?

Those jim-dandy good looking tactical handguards were donated by Photoman.
(Thanks)
I actually like 'em in funktafied kinda-green. It caused me to take the green pistol grip over the standard A2-black.

I'm tempted to put a gas-tap where the sight post is, and move the sight post forward enough that the rifle will take full length handguards ala 'Dissipator.'
Not sure how hard it'd be, 'cause the barrel profile is a fuzz too thin to hold the post where I want it.
I might just weld it. Then it'd be hacktical.

The Superior Arms lower fits pretty tightly to the upper, and all the parts went in nicely EXCEPT for the buffer retainer and spring. The well is drilled too shallow. A good amount too shallow. I have a little drill press, and considered taking the well down to spec, but decided to follow the "Work on the cheapest part" philosophy instead. I filed away the bottom of the buffer retainer and clipped a few coils off the spring. Lots of back and forth and test fitting. If ever I don't like the way it's set up, the parts I modded are replacable for $2. All totalled it was a 15-20 minute setback.
So far I'm happy with the lower.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty slick TJ, now back to homework!

Sure looks like those handguards were on fire at some time, especially given the history of that upper
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the short stock.  Who manufactured the lower?

Oh, and go shoot that thing!  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
T-J looks good man. When are ya taking it out for a shake down?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Lower is made by "Superior Arms" in Wapella, IA.

No shakedown is currently on the schedule.
I'm burried in stuff to do. I really had no business doing all the stuf I did yesterday, but sometimes it can't be helped.

My next available time slot is looking like rifle sight-in and light torture testing followed by the "Mace your buddy" game.
I'll try to fit it into one day.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a nice looking build you have there.  My son built his AR on a Superior lower with no issues with the buffer retainer.  If you don't mind telling, how much money do you have tied up in that?  My cheapest so far is around $400.  Now I need to accumulate the rest of the parts I need to build yet another AR.  I think this one will be 18".
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
TJ, that is a nice looking rifle. Maybe when you do your shake down I and give my new shotty a run down as well.

You did well grasshopper.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking shooter.

You just reminded me I have to get a couple more bore lapping kits for my new kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top