Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
6/2/2020 2:34:59 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2004 11:17:22 PM EDT
Picked up My first ever AR at the Bristol Show.
Took it home and stripped ot for cleaning.
The internals look GREAT.
There was a little powder in it, but nothing looks worn at all.

The guy said that he had never fired it; got it from a cop who barely fired it.
This jives with my inspection.

It has a threaded barrel, but the muzzle device looks like it does nothing.
Guy said the cop had it done while the ban was still in effect.
Looks like its just a crown protector to me.

Also came with one LEO marked mag made by 'General Stamping' in Oconomowoc, WI.
I FOrgot to take a picture of the mag, but its not that interesting.
Its an RRA lower with a Colt small hole A2 upper.
Rifling is blindingly bright and shiney.

Here it is put back together.

The butt stock cleaning kit is there, and never used; which is a surprise.
The cleaning kits are notoriously missing from SKS' and AKs.
I don't know who the hell is hording them, but I wish they'd stop it.

Anyways, my first evil black rifle for $550 out the door.

How'd I do? Good?
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 11:21:06 PM EDT
Now I need a collapsing stock, and different handgaurds, and a wicked phantom something or other flash hider, and a spit load of mags.
Not to mention another caliber to stock up on.

I'm not done paying for this damned thing am I?
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 4:14:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Throttle-Junkie:
Now I need a collapsing stock, and different handgaurds, and a wicked phantom something or other flash hider, and a spit load of mags.
Not to mention another caliber to stock up on.

I remember that gun, I almost bought that the last time I was at bristol but I didn't have the $600 he was asking at the time for it. That and I really just wanted the lower(to SBR) and he wouldn't part it. Good job though. I htought that muzzle device was a little odd too.

Welcome to the addiction, and No your not done paying for it yet. Soon yer gunna want new handguards, than maybe a vert grip, and maybe a light, or a laser, maybe an aimpoint or ACOG.................
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 5:50:29 AM EDT
Congrats on the purcahse.... soon you'll feel the need to purchase one to keep it company!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 6:03:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2004 6:04:58 AM EDT by glenn_r]
That is an interesting combo.  A2 upper receiver with A1 barrel (Colt light contour, probably 1/12 twist?  Did Colt ever make a lightweight A1 profile in 1/7?).  I have a similar [straight A1] gun at work...only thing wrong is the 1/12 barrel.

Handles nice, doesn't it?  How's it shoot?
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 6:53:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2004 6:54:04 AM EDT by FMD]

Not by a long shot!

Congrats, I'm a little jealous!
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 9:35:49 AM EDT
This will be the most expensive $550 you have ever spent. . . .

Nice rifle tho.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:15:01 AM EDT
Buying them is the CHEAP part.......
Cheers,
Dave
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 1:01:05 PM EDT
Original from glenn r

That is an interesting combo. A2 upper receiver with A1 barrel (Colt light contour, probably 1/12 twist? Did Colt ever make a lightweight A1 profile in 1/7?). I have a similar [straight A1] gun at work...only thing wrong is the 1/12 barrel.

I was thinking the same thing. I believe what ya got there is a Frankengun that somebody cobbled together.
took an A-2 lower and upper and slapped a 1/12 A-1 barrel with A-1 Triangle handguards and it looks like a A-1 stock as it looks round on the Toe and Heel of the buttplate. and it has an A-2 pistol grip with the finger swell.

As to the thing on the end it may be for some type of launcher in the police arsenal for Gas Grenades/non lethal,etc, but that's just a guess.  If it runs good after 500-1000 rds it's not a bad deal, but your limited to 55 gr ball only for it. I've seen NIB M-4 type carbines by Armalite at the Oshkosh show go for $700 I would not call this a GREAT deal and if you have a lot of problems with  decent ammo and Mags you may have been hosed. best thing to do is get some ammo and a few good mags and hit the range and run some ammo thru it to see how it performs. if it starts giving you a problem, I would ditch it at the next gunshow, just my $.02... good luck
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 7:17:36 PM EDT
If you see a NIB Armalite M4 for $700, buy it, and I will gladly pay you back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 2:37:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2004 2:40:12 AM EDT by rugger]
Ya no shit im in for a new in box armalite of any style for 700 bucks. I think you did pretty good, it proves that there are deals out there.

Erik
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:33:22 AM EDT
Is it a 1/12? are ya sure o it?? I got an A1 upper with my EA but the barrel was a 1/9 hbar not a 1/12.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 12:26:18 PM EDT
WELL, IT'S DEFINITELY A MUTT, BUT THAT DON'T NECESSARILY MAKE IT BAD.  BUT AMMO DOWNRANGE IS WHAT COUNTS ANYWAYS SO GET TO IT AND YOU'LL SEE WHAT YOU GOT.  AND BRING DIFFERENT KINDS OF AMMO TO CHECK FOR CONSISTENCY IN RELIABILITY.  AND YES, CHECK TO SEE IF THE TWIST IS STAMPED ANYWHERE ON IT.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 4:43:59 PM EDT
Your muzzle attachment is a flash suppressor with the suppressor part ground off, leaving just the end with the threads.  To check the twist rate, draw a line down a cleaning rod with a sharpie, insert it in the chamber with a brush or whatever.  Make a reference mark at the end of the reciever.  Push the rod down the barrel until it makes one rotation and make another mark at the end of the reciever.  Pull the rod out and measure the distance.  C, MP is a Colt barrel and I am guessing it's a 1-12".  You will only be able to shoot M193, but that's OK.  I love my 16" 1-12 pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 8:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2004 8:58:32 PM EDT by Throttle-Junkie]
Ha, thats funny.
I did the cleaning kit test before seeing your post.

First test was simply to look down the barrel, follow one of the lands along until it had turned 180 and measure to about where I thought that was.
This seemed good in theory, but at about 6" into the barrel it gets really hard to track one groove from the other while estimating depth on the outside.

That's why I went with the cleaning rod, I didn't want to make sharpie marks all over the place though.
I seperated the upper and used the milspec cleaning kit.
It has a nice flat spot near the top that makes it easy to judge rotation.
Feeding from the rear, I got a patch solidly engaged in the lands, measured the amount of rod that was sticking out the back of the upper, and took note of the position of the flat spot on the rod.
Fed it in until it rotated 360 and measured how much rod was still sticking out.

I did this several times.
There was some occasional slippage due to my heavy hand.

6 lands, 1:12, so it looks like 55 grains for me.

*************************************­*****************

Aside from that, It may be more of a mutt than I thought.
I called the upper as a Colt because of the Colt barrel and the "AF" scrunched together, indicating Alcoa Forge on the the upper.
On further inspection, I can't find any "C" on the upper.
The blank upper did come from Alcoa Forge, but I don't think Colt did the finish machining.
No other marks other than the raised AF.
Any ideas on who made it?

The Colt barrel is marked "C MP C" indicating Colt, magnaflux inspected, and chrome lined.
The twist rate isn't stamped on it, nor the caliber.

There are no markings on the bolt carrier.
I don't remember any on the bolt from when I was cleaning it, but I didn't feel like pulling out the firing pin retainer again just to get the bolt out for an official marking inspection.

I don't know the difference between an A1 and A2 butt stock.
I know one is longer, but don't know enough to say which I have.
The stock has the trap door with a cleaning kit and the top screw has a drain hole in it.

Ho humm, ................... I'm going to name it "Bastard"
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 9:33:57 PM EDT
I took a few better pics.
Heres the only marking on the upper.

Here's the rear view of the stock.

And heres the muzzle nut thingy.

If TheKill is right about it being a cut down flash hider, it was atleast turned on a lathe rather than ground off in some asshole's kitchen.
That somewhat agrees with the story of a cop having the rifle built for him, presumably by a professional gun plumber.

Link Posted: 12/23/2004 9:48:54 PM EDT
I can't find reasonably priced mags in stock anywhere, and I don't know what ammo to play with.

I need a local volunteer.

What I'd like to do is go to the range with someone who's already stocked up, use their mags and their ammo, and pay them for whatever ammo I burn up.

Part of me wants to start shopping handguards or try paracording the triangles, see about a 16" barrel witha faster twist, order a slew of mags, and call Eric at Ammoman and tell him to send me 2000 rounds of something, but ................
I really want to see how it runs before it eats any more of my money.

If someone has the time and overstock to cover me, it'd be much appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/23/2004 10:23:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2004 10:26:25 PM EDT by FMD]
TJ - You got my number, and I gots what you need.  55gr Win White box loaded in 30 rounders ready to go.  I also have several different uppers and lowers you can slap on to try out.

I think the AR bug just bit...

ETA: I think AnnieO and I will be getting some range time on New Years Day.  Could even be a double-date.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 10:58:06 PM EDT
Already loaded in mags huh?
That's too good to pass up.
I also like the idea of having a known-good AR on hand to help isolate any troubles that may arise.

Couples shooting sounds golden to me.
Nice way to ring in '05.
She's already asleep, so I'll talk to her about it while we're driving to my folks tomorrow.
(why the hell am I up posting about rifles?)
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 12:14:06 AM EDT
Why the hell am I up reading on the internet about you posting on rifles?

Dayum. It's time for some sleep!
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 12:26:30 AM EDT
Whoa!! Someone actually bought a rifle at the bristol show..haha J/K

Congrats on the purchase

Now.....whats next?

Link Posted: 12/24/2004 4:09:50 AM EDT

I can't find reasonably priced mags in stock anywhere, and I don't know what ammo to play with.

I need a local volunteer.

What I'd like to do is go to the range with someone who's already stocked up, use their mags and their ammo, and pay them for whatever ammo I burn up.

Part of me wants to start shopping handguards or try paracording the triangles, see about a 16" barrel witha faster twist, order a slew of mags, and call Eric at Ammoman and tell him to send me 2000 rounds of something, but ................
I really want to see how it runs before it eats any more of my money.

If someone has the time and overstock to cover me, it'd be much appreciated.

Check with Bravo COmpany USA, they are in state and have good prices, I don't know what they have in stock right now but last I was on thier site it was $12.99 for a 30. The mags are made by D&H(formerly LaBelle)
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 4:12:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FMD:
TJ - You got my number, and I gots what you need.  55gr Win White box loaded in 30 rounders ready to go.  I also have several different uppers and lowers you can slap on to try out.

I think the AR bug just bit...

ETA: I think AnnieO and I will be getting some range time on New Years Day.  Could even be a double-date.

New years day!! I'm off new years day, where ya shooting at?
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 7:39:48 AM EDT
Ummmm....YOUR RANGE!

Our "sponsor" wanted to "show us around and do some shooting" before the meeting on the 2nd...
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 7:44:48 AM EDT

Ummmm....YOUR RANGE!

Our "sponsor" wanted to "show us around and do some shooting" before the meeting on the 2nd...

Cool beans, what time??? I'm as good as there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 8:33:20 AM EDT
FMD, are myself and my wife going to have any trouble getting in there if you and Annie aren't members yet?
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 8:34:59 AM EDT

FMD, are myself and my wife going to have any trouble getting in there if you and Annie aren't members yet?

Nope, they will be with a member and i'm going to show up to, you and your wife can come as my guests.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 9:07:17 AM EDT
In my best Eric Cartman.

S-W-E-E-E-E-E-E-T !!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 10:33:21 AM EDT
Chambering question.

Its not marked on the barrel.
Colt chromed A1 1:12.
Is it Nato 5.56 or .223Rem-SAAMI ??

Link Posted: 12/24/2004 11:06:13 AM EDT

Chambering question.

Its not marked on the barrel.
Colt chromed A1 1:12.
Is it Nato 5.56 or .223Rem-SAAMI ??

My gut says 5.56 chamber, but I'd ask over in the Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more board. somone shouldknow over there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 11:24:09 AM EDT

Just between me and you, I saw midway has GI 30rd mags on sale and instock $9.99 But thats just between me and you
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 12:08:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By photoman:

Ummmm....YOUR RANGE!

Cool beans, what time??? I'm as good as there.

Dunno yet.  IM your phone when you send me your email nevermind (just realized I already have it), and I'll keep you updated.
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 12:28:44 PM EDT
Hey, if it's not -5, I might even show up.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 12:38:02 AM EDT

Just between me and you, I saw midway has GI 30rd mags on sale and instock $9.99 But thats just between me and you

Can you post a link?
Or do I have to call them?

I looked around on their site and couldn't find 'em.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 4:19:47 AM EDT

Can you post a link?
Or do I have to call them?

I looked around on their site and couldn't find 'em.

I can't find them either, I think it was one of those things they send out to people on their email list. I'll dig out a link in a bit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 6:50:04 AM EDT
Here's the link for Midway

I couldn't find the Mags...
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 7:08:06 AM EDT
Midway Eblast mag special here is a link to them. If you get on midways Eblast email list they email you specials and such. Also i don't know about the maker of the mags. it says this

Military Surplus Magazine Type 65 AR-15 223 Remington 30-Round Steel Blue
Product #: 138476
Our Price: $9.99  Sale!
Compare at: $12.99

But than it also says

These aluminum magazines were built by a US military contractor and are packaged in military-specification plastic wrapping. They fit any firearm that uses a 223 Remington AR-15 based magazine. Parkerized.

So you may want to call them to verify what exactly they are.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 7:54:51 AM EDT
So what time are we looking at for new years day? I'll bring the AR's(and the 40cal upper too, but I don't have much 40 ammo, actually I might be out, but I'll still bring the upper.) I'l bring the AK with too, and the 308. Ya know I haven't played with the shot gun much I should bring that with as well and shoot it a bit.

Link Posted: 12/26/2004 9:11:13 AM EDT
They're predicting 50 degrees for the 31st and low 40's for the 1st.

Link Posted: 12/26/2004 9:27:39 AM EDT

They're predicting 50 degrees for the 31st and low 40's for the 1st.

I hopeit holds up!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 3:41:13 PM EDT
oh my gosh the range will be cramped with you all.  What am I to do??? maybe I'll have to go to the longer ranges he he he he

Hey, merry xmas.  Photoman, you got a .40 cal upper???? how cool.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 3:54:49 PM EDT
Your muzzle device on the front is just a cut off birdcage, so I would get a new one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 4:58:43 PM EDT
If you're not concerned about the muzzle flash, I'd leave it on,  besides, I think it looks pretty neat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 5:27:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MisterPX:
If you're not concerned about the muzzle flash, I'd leave it on,  besides, I think it looks pretty neat.

Or you can have my A1 bird cage if you want it, well if that contraption isn't pined on and it will come off. If you have to have somone remove that thing it would be better to just have a new one put on than, but if you want it it's yours. Let me know and I'll bring it with.......I better go find it. my Fwd grip seems to have gone MIA on me.........
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 8:35:01 PM EDT

Or you can have my A1 bird cage if you want it,

That'd be great.
I don't expect to ever be worried about my prone position dust signature, so an A1 works good for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:11:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2004 6:12:21 PM EDT by photoman]
See below.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:12:02 PM EDT
What time was everyone thinking about meeting up. I got a couple other people that want to meet up. I may go out early, but not to early, not before 9am I don't think.  IM me and let me know.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 7:33:20 PM EDT
Waiting to hear from Dave, our sponsor...
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 4:56:10 AM EDT
I'm thinking around 10AM.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 11:20:09 AM EDT
And somone please bring a camera, my memory card is really screwing up alot, and I don't have another one, I'll still bring mine, but a back up would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:22:13 PM EDT
New years day at 1000.  I'll bring the drunk and the camera.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top