Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2013 4:03:23 PM EDT
The NRA sent me a flyer saying that political pressure is being put on Alexander and Corker by BHO and that the citizens need to turn up the heat.  I’m not going to type the whole thing out, but the basic premise appears to be that our Senators may cave.

FYI- They specifically mentioned Universal Background Checks as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with universal background checks is that would require registration of all firearms in circulation. A novel idea, but how'd that work out for our brothers to the north?

Registration leads to confiscation.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The problem with universal background checks is that would require registration of all firearms in circulation. A novel idea, but how'd that work out for our brothers to the north?

And for the Aussies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure why the NRA didn't send the same thing to me. I just emailed Corker and Alexander again. I think I'll try calling their offices tomorrow as well. Lets keep the pressure up!
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
It REALLY worried me when I saw Alexander arriving and standing with Suckie Schumer on the dias at the swearing in of his highness Obama the first!

I got the same card from the NRA.  Hopefully folks WILL act.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Both of them are RINOs hell that is being nice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We all know its beyond the point of "vote against them if they cave" because that rarely works, but its interesting that they would cave when we had, what, two counties that went blue this election?
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The voters power has always resided in the House.  The Senate is a bunch of Potomac watchers looking to the White House should the occasion arise, either through election by an appointment to the Presidents Cabinet.  The House members know they will be defeated if they vote pro GC of any sort.  They know that after the last AWB passed the Democrats lost control of the House the very next election and even the Democratic Speaker of the House Tom Foley not only lost the speakership but his long time seat as a member of the House, the voters retired him permanently.  Clinton didn't give a damn about the little Representative in Podunk America and his aspirations for Congress, the voters voted them out of what was to some their very first term in the House.

The Above is what you must remind your Congressmen and Congresswoman, that they serve at the behest of the voters and their constituents do not want "ANY" pro GC legislation passed!  Period!  Some of the younger members of Congress may not know the history of the voters dislike of any GC or AWB legislation.  We must hammer it into their heads that Congress can and will change as the voters see fit!

Hammer, Hammer, Hammer and Hammer again!  So we and America will WIN!

Dale Clark
Unionville, Tn.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Another round of letters out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Sending out another round today.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I sent emails to Corker and Alexander yesterday, and again today.

Today I called the D.C. offices of both senators. I asked the same question on each call and not-surprisingly got the same answer (paraphrasing slightly here, as I didn't record the actual calls):

Me: "Is it true that the senator is about to cave to political pressure and allow our 2nd Amendment rights to be infringed?"
Staffer: "The senator has been pro 2nd Amendment in the past. We have people examining the Feinstein bill and other bills at this time. The senator has not made up his mind yet on these bills and does not have an official stance yet, but he has been pro 2nd Amendment in the past."
Me: "It would behoove the the senator to take a stand on this and let his constituents know that he actually supports their values. I want to make it completely clear, if the senator votes yes to the Feinstein bill, the magazine cap bill, or any other 2nd Amendment infringement he WILL NOT be re-elected in the next term."
Staffer: "I'll pass that along"
Me: "Thank you."

What do we need to do to get a true conservative to run against them in the next election? I'm not content anymore to just vote every few years. I've got a lot of time and energy I could devote to getting some of these wafflers replaced with someone more along the lines of Rand Paul who will actually protect my constitutional rights. Where do I start?
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
snip

The senator has not made up his mind yet on these bills and does not have an official stance yet, but he has been pro 2nd Amendment in the past.

snip

why can't he make up his mind? That sounds like politics 101. He is negotiating, using gun control as a carrot for something he wants passed. Total BS.

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I totally agree with your statement.  

The purpose of this thread was to let other Tennesseans know that the NRA feels that Corker and Alexander could go for UBCs, or other gun control measures, and to let them know what you think.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#13]
What I sent (similar wording to Corker):

Senator Alexander,

Reports indicate that the President and other gun-ban supporters are pressuring you to join them in their efforts to weaken the Second Amendment. As your constituent and someone who has voted for you consistently since reaching voting age, I ask you to oppose any and all bills that would re-instate the ineffective gun and magazine bans of the past as well as "universal background checks" (aka firearms registries). Instead, the federal government should enforce existing laws and look to improve the mental health system.

Thanks,
marsh-vol

As political creatures, they need reminding that the email is from a constituent and past voter.  It implies my past vote may not continue into the future if they don't perform to my liking.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What I sent (similar wording to Corker):

Senator Alexander,

Reports indicate that the President and other gun-ban supporters are pressuring you to join them in their efforts to weaken the Second Amendment. As your constituent and someone who has voted for you consistently since reaching voting age, I ask you to oppose any and all bills that would re-instate the ineffective gun and magazine bans of the past as well as "universal background checks" (aka firearms registries). Instead, the federal government should enforce existing laws and look to improve the mental health system.

Thanks,
marsh-vol

As political creatures, they need reminding that the email is from a constituent and past voter.  It implies my past vote may not continue into the future if they don't perform to my liking.

I will be interested in the response, even though it will probably be a canned message...
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#15]
It made it to Corker's inbox--I got the standard auto response.  

It took about a week to get the auto response from my Ruger website message a few weeks ago.  I got the same canned response from Corker a few hours after the auto response.  None of the other recipients at state or federal level responded to that one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Alexander's office replied!  It was basically a boilerplate response, but they did remind me that he joined legal briefs supporting 2A rights in Heller and McDonald.

Hopefully, our Senators will stay strong.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Alexander will cave.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh, for the days of plain-spoken Davey Crockett.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am quoting your post because I can't think of anything nearly that nice to say.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Staffer: "The senator has been pro 2nd Amendment in the past. We have people examining the Feinstein bill and other bills at this time. The senator has not made up his mind yet on these bills and does not have an official stance yet, but he has been pro 2nd Amendment in the past."

Seriously? I know you're paraphrasing, but this is what the staffer said?  What the hell is there to study?  It bans guns. The end. Just say NO.

What a weak and purely pussified piece of shit answer they gave you.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Alexander and Corker also both recently voted YAY to selling Abrams tanks and F16 fighter jets to the current regime in Egypt.......the Muslim Brotherhood.

I am sure the majority of their constituents would support that decision!

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
And Cohen is co sponsoring the next piece of legislation on a weapons ban. H.R 437 I believe.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#23]
The responses I've received from Alexander have been very pro 2nd amendment, but I haven't received a response from him the last few times I've contacted him. That's somewhat disturbing.

On the other hand, Corker's responses worry me even more. The responses he sent a month ago were pro 2nd amendment, but now he just sends a completely non-committal one. I'll bet he's already caved, and Alexander probably has as well.

Here's the more recent corker response (which I've received several times):

Thank you for taking the time to email me to share your thoughts and concerns.

I want you to know that we read every single letter and e-mail that is sent to us in order to best understand the issues that are important to you. It is our commitment to respond to your input as thoughtfully and efficiently as possible. I meet with my staff regularly to discuss the issues raised in correspondence like yours and will be back in touch with a more thorough response soon.

Thank you again for your email. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

Here's an Alexander one from when he was bothering to answer:

Thanks very much and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the right to bear arms.

I’m a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets. Good citizens don’t abuse guns – criminals do. I will continue to support legislative efforts to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment.

In two recent cases, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly held that the Second Amendment protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms. In the 2008 case, D.C. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that D.C.’s restrictive gun laws violated the constitutional rights of Americans. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court struck down the city of Chicago’s handgun ban and held that, like the federal government, state and local governments must respect Second Amendment rights. I joined legal briefs in both cases in defense of this constitutional right and was pleased with the Supreme Court’s decisions.

I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand. I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,
Lamar

We need to keep bugging them non-stop. The squeeking wheel gets the grease.
Unless their palms are getting greased, that is. Regardless, we need to keep being as vocal as possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top