Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 7/19/2008 8:43:02 AM EST
This has been a real shitty morning, i had to take my dog to the vet to have her put to sleep. Sasha was a German Shepard/ Husky mix, and only seven years old. Friends of our found her when she was twelve weeks old running loose. Her ribs were sticking out and her paws were burnt from the hot pavement. They couldn't keep her so we made her part of our family, she grew up with my kids. But a few months ago we found out she was blind, and then the seizures started, and over time they grew worse. The vet tried several different treatments, but in the end he determined she had a brain tumor. We tried to make her as comfortable as we could. But after a real nasty seizure last night and again this morning we came to the conclusion it was time.

I can honestly say she was the best dog i ever had, i raised her from a pup, trained her to listen to commands in both English and German. She was the best watchdog ever, when we lived in our old house i would take her with me to check on the neighbors house across the street.( it was a vacation home) One night when she and i were outside she heard a noise and chased two trespassers off the neighbors property. They ran into the woods and she stopped at the property line.

I am going to miss her, my kids are broken hearted right now.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:51:10 AM EST
Sorry to hear that.

When the time is right go rescue another one. You'll be happy you did.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:08:31 AM EST
Oh man that sux.

I'm sorry.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:41:59 AM EST
Sorry to hear that.. Dogs are very much part of the family
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:44:39 AM EST
Facing the same thing here. My dog is 12 1/2 and her hips have gone bad and she is going blind. Any surgery would kill her so hip surgery is off the table. It's just keep them comfortable as long as you can then... It's not something I want to consider but have too.
I know the hurt. Just thinking about what I have to do brings me to tears.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:20:50 AM EST
Sorry for that............i kept my Rott longer than i should, he could barely get up. He died at home tho.......13 yrs. , 150 lbs.I have put my dogs down myself before, i must be getting old and soft.

Now, GO GET ANOTHER DOG !!

I have a choc. lab now, great breed. She stays in the house more than i do.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:09:01 PM EST
We had to put one of ours down a couple of months ago. It is heartbreaking but if it is their time it is the kindest thing you can do for them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:48:00 PM EST
I am sorry to hear about that.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:21:23 PM EST
This was the third time i have had to put a dog to sleep. But it was the hardest, she was a great dog. I am really going to miss her. Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:48:19 PM EST
Sorry to hear that . My dogs are such a big part of my life - I can't imagine not having them, even though sometimes I wonder what they are thinking when they do things.

I hope once you heal from your loss you find your way to another pair of big brown eyes. There are so many wonderful animals out there that need good homes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:50:58 PM EST
hate Last year my Healer/Pit mix come down with Parvo. I thought I was goin to loose her. I got her to the vet as soon as i seen the signs. Lets just that was a very sleepless night. I had to force fliuds down her all night. Then I called into work the next day and did the same all that day. It was very scary. By that evening she was doing better. She pulled thru without any lasting effects.

My pups are my Kids and neither can ever be replaced.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:16:38 PM EST
That sucks dude. My dad recently had his Austrailian (sp) Shepard die after having him 14 years. My two dachshunds are getting old and it will be hard to see them go since they have been very good dags, extremely good watch dogs, sometimes too good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:40:36 PM EST
I am sorry for your loss as I can tell you and your family truly loved her and she will be deeply mourned.

But take comfort that she is in a better place and that she is no longer in pain.

I have a twelve year old Golden that I have raised from 8 weeks old. We consider her our first born.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:16:27 PM EST
Sorry to hear that, but I am sure her animal spirit will protect and guide you more now than ever. Sasha was a good dog.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:46:35 AM EST
A buddy of mine lost his wife 3 months ago. Thursday he found his dog dead in the yard. He has been a basket case since his wife understandably. I got off work & helped him bury the dog. Doing so reminded me off putting the wife dog down a year & a half ago. Dogs are one of the best things in the world untill the day comes that they need to be put down or burried.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:19:34 AM EST
I am truely sorry for your lose sir but you had no choice and you did the right thing.Take care of you and take care of the rest of your family, I am sure that you and all of your family will miss such a fine animal and family member.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:27:29 AM EST
Helpfully you will be a bit comforted by knowing you saved her and gave her a great life from what was sure hell in her young life.

She'll be feeling great and waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.

Rainbow Bridge
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:44:27 AM EST
So sorry, pets are such great companions and actually become members of our families. I have a 14 year old cat who's still in good health but I know it'll be hard to part from him when the time comes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:07:18 PM EST
Sorry to hear it, mine are a part of the family and it sounds as if yours were the same.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:53:57 PM EST
Really sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:41:43 PM EST
Had to put Ben the Border Collie down about five years ago, I still grieve. We were friends for 12 years. I feel your pain and am sad for you and your kids. Our pets depend on us to do the right thing when it's time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:06:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 6:06:51 PM EST by SaltyDog]
Waterboss, thank you so much for the poem. I read it myself, and then to the kids. It really helped them. The hurt will be around for awhile. But the poem helped them find some comfort . thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:09:35 PM EST
Hey Salty........you need to go down to the local animal shelter and find a new "Boy" or "Girl". That's what I did when we lost our best friend, and it sure does help to soften the hurt!

Dan
Top Top