Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/11/2006 6:56:57 PM EDT
Anyone here a member? I have a new RRA M4 and shooting indoors at BRA was just no fun (and expensive given that I had to buy their frangible ammo at $25 for 20 rounds). I REALLY want to find a place where I can shoot outdoors, and the Loudoun IWLA range isn't too far away.

Also, a free lunch (and some free shooting) for anyone who might want or be able to host a guest out there to check out the facilities.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:13:54 PM EDT
The NRA HQ Range is the solution to your problem....it is about twenty or so minutes east of BRA and it is 50 yrds. No frangible ammo requirment. It is clean and state of the art. Cost to shoot is as follows:

$12 for NRA members, $15 for non-members

Go to the NRA HQ webpage and check the link for the HQ range; the range hours and such are posted there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:08:56 PM EDT
+1 on the NRA.

They take safety much more seriously than at Blue Ridge Arsenal. I've seen people get scolded by the range Nazis there on occasion. (It's a term of endearment, I appreciate their efforts.) Over at BRA, they don't seem to get as involved, and there are more bullet holes on the tables and ceiling. Gives me the heeby-jeebies. They do give all first-timers at the NRA a test before you get your range card. It's not hard, and is open book/posters/blackboard/buddies.

I decided I don't much care for Blue Ridge Arsenal anyway. I can never seem to get waited on there, and their firearms are way overpriced. I'll stick with VA Arms in Manassas where most of the guys know me by name.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2006 2:11:46 PM EDT by kcobean]
Yeah, I've been there once, fired an AK-47 there with a buddy. It's definitely a very nice range, but every report I've heard is that it's usually very busy (particularly on the weekends). I've been there once, and the one day that we went (it was a Sunday if I recall), we had to wait to get a lane, and then after an hour, they politely "reminded us" that our time was up...

I was hoping to find something a little less crowded and I thought the IWLA might be it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:02:13 PM EDT
Not a bad idea. I know they have a local chapter somewhere out near Chantilly, but last I checked, they were full up.

One of the many drawbacks to living in this area....no place to easily go out and blast things outdoors. (and the traffic...and the liberals...I could go on)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:10:54 PM EDT
A coworker of mine is a member of the Loudoun IWLA. Their range is near Leesburg. I have peronally not been there, however, my coworker says that the access road is pretty bad. He thinks 4x4's are pretty much the only thing that can get through unscathed. His words, not mine, so YMMV...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:33 AM EDT
Yeah, the one near Chantilly is the Fairfax chapter, and from what I hear, there's no shooting there unless an RSO is present. My understanding is that for the Loudoun facility out south of Leesburg, you can shoot there as long as you follow the procedures of putting the "hot" flag up, etc.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:17:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kcobean:
Yeah, the one near Chantilly is the Fairfax chapter, and from what I hear, there's no shooting there unless an RSO is present. My understanding is that for the Loudoun facility out south of Leesburg, you can shoot there as long as you follow the procedures of putting the "hot" flag up, etc.

I've shot the that fairfax chapter with a few of the guys here. Wont be going back. They wont even let you carry your side arm in a holster.

NRA is a great range.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:24 AM EDT
Too bad you dont live further south, I am a member at the Alexandria chapter of the IWLA in Stafford and you can shoot whenver you want as long as you follow the rules. We have a more relaxed atmosphere there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:17:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kcobean:
Yeah, I've been there once, fired an AK-47 there with a buddy. It's definitely a very nice range, but every report I've heard is that it's usually very busy (particularly on the weekends). I've been there once, and the one day that we went (it was a Sunday if I recall), we had to wait to get a lane, and then after an hour, they politely "reminded us" that our time was up...

I was hoping to find something a little less crowded and I thought the IWLA might be it.

You are wlcome at Shooters Paradise; ARs & AKs welcome. www.shootersparadise.com

As for it being crowded on weekends, here is what I suggest: come on a weekday. It just seems like EVERYONE wants to shoot during the middle of the day on Sat. & Sun. If you would just come on a weekday, then you would not have that problem.

Now if you work M-F, then you are in the same boat with most other people & may have to wait to get a lane. Its not the NRA's fault.

Anyway, there is no requirement to buy your ammo at Shooters. Rifles up to (but not including) .50 BMG and shotguns w/ any ammo you want.

D.C. Johnson
www.shootersparadise.com
Top Top