addressed criminal firearm use.  The Daley gun control package was thus nothing
more than an unabashed attempt at eliminating the individual right to keep and
bear arms.

The freedom-loving people of Illinois responded to the Daley package with
indignation.  Legislative offices were flooded with e-mails, letters and
phone calls from citizens fed up with Daley's on-going attempts to take their
guns away from them.  The voice of the people was louder than Daleys and,
in the end, nearly all of the Daley gun control bills died except for two
that are languishing in the legislature under postponed consideration.

The fact that the law-abiding gun owners of Illinois stopped the Daley Gun
Grabbing Machine dead in its tracks this spring is nothing short of
remarkable.  For that, the people of Illinois deserve a pat on the back, not an
insulting kick in the slats.

The effect of Mr. Nugent's remarks on gun-owner morale cannot be measured.
But it would be a safe bet that we will have to spend valuable time
mending fences as a result.

Nugent's thoughtlessness notwithstanding, the law-abiding gun owners of
Illinois will continue to fight for what they believe in, with or without
Mr. Nugent's support."

I would really like to know in what context Mr. Nugent said his words. Did he mean that ALL Illinois citizens are sheep and wimps? Was he talking about ALL gun owners? Or was he speaking towards the high majority of liberal gun-hating democrats in this state?

In a way I have to agree with Mr. Nugent as this state is full of citizens  that are too sheepish and wimpy to know and respect their and others freedoms and just do what the government tells them, while in a state like Michigan where Nugent lives, the majority of the government and citizens are more pro-gun and could be considered a less sheepish and wimpy state.

But at the same time I agree with the ISRA that Illinois gun owners have kept a very strong stance against Daley and the rest of the anti-gun government and held back any further gun laws than there are now. Illinois gun owners are always fighting just to keep their guns while other citizens in other states are voting to have CCW passed by a pro-gun government. So it is really easy for Ted Nugent to say how wimpy Illinois people are when he doesn't live here and is living in pro-gun Michigan.

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The reality is most gun owners are sheep, regardless of where they live.

Next time Ted mouths off, someone should ask him why the sheep at NRA gave up our right to new machine guns, allowed Brady to become law, AW Ban, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually he's right. He'd be correct in 48/50 states as well. Not every single citizen is a sheep but the vast majority are. Hopefuly he'll spark some interest in the RKBA.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]

But, the proof is in the putting.

...and the American educational system has spawned another semiliterate author.

It's "pudding" ya knucklehead.

[knuckle dragging idiot mode on]Yeah, but I'm the best Xbox player in my 'hood.[/knuckle dragging idiot mode off]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted the text of the article that was in Spfld's State Journal Register today over at Preban.com., along with my thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Gonzo lost a lost of my respect here. Not the "sheeple" comment, but the whole idea of allowing retired LEOs to carry.

They aren't any different than any other citizen, and shouldn't have any special priviledges that citizens don't have. It should be legal for them (and the rest of us who obey the law) to carry with a permit. Period. The "except police and military" phrase is really common in gun control laws, and as an NRA director, I expect him to give his ideas a little more thought than Sarah Brady, et al.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
If nothing else,  maybe Ted got us all a little fired up.  I just finished 19 letters to members of the house and senate, both party's national chairman, as well as GW and Dick too.  All will go in the mail on Monday per the AWBansunset.com request.  Have you written your letters yet ??
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Nugent is RIGHT. people are sheep and Illinois is leading the herd, Screw the ISRA and Pearson. They like to take credit for the battle we won against Daley last Spring. i was in Springfield and Richard pearson was wandering around somewhere not even in the same room with us in front of the executive commitee. i belong to the ISRA and will continue to support them but I am greatly appreciative of what he is trying to do for us. the best thing that can happen is Grandpa pearson can retire and someone with some piss and vinegar can run the show. I have had it with the ISRA claiming they save our ass at every turn, we do it, we send them the money and I can't even shoot at their range because there is a "waiting list" why no concealed carry in IL? Why no opening of more ranges? the ISRA has gotten better but they still suck and i appreciate Nugents efforts. By the way, cops are  not different then other people but when that ass puppet Blago starts messing with cops, they have to join the fight too. All too often cops lecture and sell us out. Now maybe they will join the fight.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The fight has been joined, long before now! Yes ISRA like to blow their own horn. So does the NRA. Who cares. We all know the deal, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I can agree with some of what Ted has to say, and just as often, I don't (his support of the LEO reciprocatory bill for one thing). True, he speaks his mind; it's just that when he does, he comes off as an uneducated ass. When speaking as a spokesperson about a political issue... especially one as divisive and complex as the RKBA, perception by the public is important.

I'm not concerned about the perception of the anti-gunners... Sarah Brady could join the NRA or GOA tomorrow and the antis still wouldn't budge.

It's the fence sitters and people who are undecided that we have to win over.
Never mind if you, I or anyone else here agrees with him; would your neighbors, coworkers and other no nothings hold his views in high regard?

Someone like Nugent isn't going to help us gain anything; he'll only alienate the people we're trying to win over. He needs to STFU and sit down.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree Ted is outspoken but he is a very bright man. I just think it's nice to see a celebrity actually stand up for American values for once rather than Communism. I hate Hollywood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top