Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 7:36:26 AM EDT
This hurricane headed to Fla. looks like it could be a bad one.  I just got off the phone with some family members  that live at the coast.  They are considering an evac tomorrow, eventhough there will likely be no order given till late Friday.

I told them, Come to Ga!, And leave before breakfast tomorrow.

I have already checked local motels in case some of their friends need a place to stay.  If this shapes up like they are predicting, as many as 2 million people may try to flee Fla. and the coastal states.  It will get ugly real fast, traffic jams, no gas, no food, no motel rooms.  

If you have friends or family in harm's way, encourage them to get while the getting is good.  I might go round up a cooker, a pig, and a keg and have a good-ol-Georgia cookout!

Stay alert, and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
My nephew's birthday is on the 11th. My mother, my son and his cousin were headed to Jacksonville on Friday. Looks like the birthday party may be happening in North GA now!~
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
my friend owns a motel up i athens, a little far from the FL coast, Im sure he wouldnt mind helping.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]
This just in from a worker there:

Nasa closing

Nasa will close at 5pm tonight (9/01) and will not leave a team behind to ride out the storm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, y'all know I'm in Savannah and I dont want it coming here! I have 134 elderly, medically challenged people that I'm responsible for and I don't want to take them on a bus ride cause all of em won't make the trip to "safety" I too hope it turns north east or south west and goes away.........

archer2
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Archer2,

Prayers to you and your charges, may you stay safe.

Several predictions show tracks right at you.

found this:

As stated before, the tight circulation of the storm, in a shear-free environment with 30 C water temperatures, is going to maintain a Category 4 status with the possibility for growth to more than 155 mph winds before landfall in N FL or SE GA. The slowdown theory put forth by the American and Canadian models may be bogus, but it cannot be ignored. Should Frances start a crawl to the north on Sunday and Monday, a disastrous flood of more than 20 inches of rain would be unleashed in and around the Savannah Valley as well as the upcountry SC peach growing counties around Interstate 85. The steep pressure gradient could very well maintain hurricane force winds into the Great Smokies on Labor Day, so I treat this situation very seriously. The incoming trough should accelerate Frances through Appalachia into N NY early next week.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear ya wrench!

We're praying in all denominations that we can at this point! I really don't want to move these folks. They're fragile enough as it is. I have two over the age of 102y/o that I really worry won't make the trip. I don't wish bad things on Florida, but better there than here............

archer2
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
well Im in miami and I am going to be riding this one out!  Ill have the camera rolling!  I was in orlando for this last one.  Im becoming a huricane Guru!  

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like I left Savannah just in time.  This could be bad news down there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This hurricane headed to Fla. looks like it could be a bad one.  I just got off the phone with some family members  that live at the coast.  They are considering an evac tomorrow, eventhough there will likely be no order given till late Friday.

I told them, Come to Ga!, And leave before breakfast tomorrow.

I have already checked local motels in case some of their friends need a place to stay.  If this shapes up like they are predicting, as many as 2 million people may try to flee Fla. and the coastal states.  It will get ugly real fast, traffic jams, no gas, no food, no motel rooms.  

If you have friends or family in harm's way, encourage them to get while the getting is good.  I might go round up a cooker, a pig, and a keg and have a good-ol-Georgia cookout!

Stay alert, and stay safe.

Nothing wrong with a lil "cochon delait!!   aaaaaaaaa eeeeeeeeee!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
well Im in miami and I am going to be riding this one out!  Ill have the camera rolling!  I was in orlando for this last one.  Im becoming a huricane Guru!  

Dude, they are calling for a possible 26' storm surge in your area.  Ain't nothin 20' above sea level down there.   Please take all possible precautions.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[
Nothing wrong with a lil "cochon delait!!   aaaaaaaaa eeeeeeeeee!!!

Bring the rice, we gots lots of pepper sauce, and it is Party Time!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Gordon, I love you and all, but you're crazy dude.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I am at sea level and only 5 miles from shore.  I have the camera and will be filming in the storm.  But Im sure Ill be playing it by ear though.  The gas lines are total hell, home depot is freaking insane.  There is no ply wood to be had and batteries are all gone.  Gas is almost that way and we are still 2 days away.  Everyone here is shuting down as of about 12pm or so.  

but if I do get some good shots Ill sure post them up on the boards!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Stay safe man. Keep a lot of spare water and food around. Don't forget medical supplies either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in Brunswick.  We are watching VERY closely.  Some family just came here from Daytona.  Normally 3 hours it took them 8 to get here today.  Not sure if they're better off here or not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
As predicted, motel rooms are now unavailable south of Chatanooga.

If you know of any, posting here and maybe on Freepers may help some of our Fla. brothers out.

One spot of good news, Atlanta Motor Speedway is  opening its doors to RV'ers and campers fleeing the storm.  Hot showers, water, and a place to park .  Ya gotta love NASCAR!

For you non NASCAR fans, AMS is located in Hampton Ga, on hiway 19/41 about 25 miles south of Atlanta.

Had I known this, I would have gotten a cooker and pig and "fed the masses".

Note to Gordon,

if you are staying, wear a dog tag, or punch a hole and put your driver's license on a chain around your neck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Gordon, when this is over you better call home ASAP. Last time we sat here wondering WTF and couldn't call you since you were in Orlando. Don't make Dave and I come down there and lay the smack down. Stay safe bro. And that means no fucking riding the pipelines off the beach on a Sea-Do (although those pictures did kick royal ass!) just before it hits.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like we dodged a big one here in Savannah this time! It appears to be hooking around us. You guys in Atlanta will probably get a bigger hit than we will. I'm just happy I don't have to move all my people to another area.............

archer2
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As predicted, motel rooms are now unavailable south of Chatanooga.

This is true, GEMA is also going to open the old Tift College Campus here in Forsyth as a shelter.  This looks like a baaad one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck for anyone caught in the path.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#25]
How could you stay in the path of one of these things after the pics from the last one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#26]
well just wanted to give you all an update as of 137pm here in miami.  The weather is really nice with winds about 20 mph.  Few feeder bands coming through, but only showers for about 5 mins or so.  I know the worst is yet to come.  The storm has slowed down a bit and is still forcasted to hit above us.  But that still does not mean we are in the clear.  All my guns are save in a storage room being taken care of.  We went out for a drive and people are calm unlike the last few days.  Went to Publix and there were still lines but things not bad.  Gas is gone and will not have any more till at least Tuesday.  But all in all the house Im at went through Andrew fine with out damage.  The windows have the heavy storm shutters and it feels like fort knox.  Ill give you all an update later in the day, but they say it will not get here till Saturday or even Sunday morning.  Well We have 4 cases of beer and going to sit out by the pool.  Take care and see you all hopefully sometime soon!

G
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
well just wanted to give you all an update as of 137pm here in miami.  The weather is really nice with winds about 20 mph.  Few feeder bands coming through, but only showers for about 5 mins or so.  I know the worst is yet to come.  The storm has slowed down a bit and is still forcasted to hit above us.  But that still does not mean we are in the clear.  All my guns are save in a storage room being taken care of.  We went out for a drive and people are calm unlike the last few days.  Went to Publix and there were still lines but things not bad.  Gas is gone and will not have any more till at least Tuesday.  But all in all the house Im at went through Andrew fine with out damage.  The windows have the heavy storm shutters and it feels like fort knox.  Ill give you all an update later in the day, but they say it will not get here till Saturday or even Sunday morning.  Well We have 4 cases of beer and going to sit out by the pool.  Take care and see you all hopefully sometime soon!

G

Thanks for the update, hope everything goes well for you down there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#28]
well its 4pm and we are now getting the outter feeder bans and I would guess we are getting about 50mph winds and Im going out to see with the video camera.  No real rain to speak of as of yet but it is coming!  Its going to get fun here soon.  But all is well!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top