Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/18/2009 2:09:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 5:22:04 AM EST by SigSauer228]
Ok, it's 09/18/09 and i'd like to get a lifetime hunting/fishing license before the new rates for "Lifetime Sportsman" go into effect on 10/01/09.

Since i'm a new hunter, all the different classes of licenses are confusing. Currently, I want to hunt deer with a rifle in the southern zone (Sullivan county) I'd also like to try my hand at turkey hunting as well.
I also fish in fresh water and also in the inlets surrounding Long Island.

I was thinking of getting a lifetime "Sportsman" license ($600) in addition to a lifetime "Marine fishing" license ($150) Would these cover me with the above descriptions?

And what exactly is a "Super Sportsman" license, and, how much does that cost? What additional "coverage" would you get with that type of license?

I'm poking around HERE but am having trouble finding all the answers.

Anyone care to share some info?

btw, I think I may want to try bow hunting after I take that safety course.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:13:48 AM EST
I get the supersportsman.
Deer
Bear
Turkey (Spring/Fall)
Small Game
Fishing
Bow
Muzzleloader

$10 extra bucks for Doe tags this year....bastards.
DEC has good info on their site.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:27:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 2:29:02 AM EST by SigSauer228]
Uh oh, I just realized something......I DO NOT have my bow safety course certificate yet so, I guess I can't apply for the Super Sportsman?

Does the "Sportsman" cover turkey?
Also, if I get the lifetime"Sportsman" today, can I upgrade to the lifetime"Super Sportsman" next year, after I complete the bow safety course?

....you see how this gets confusing?...lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:17:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By SigSauer228:

Uh oh, I just realized something......I DO NOT have my bow safety course certificate yet so, I guess I can't apply for the Super Sportsman?

There are a couple of September bow classes:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9191.html
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:06:49 AM EST
I'm pretty sure the new rates are already in effect. They start with the 2009-2010 license, so when you go a
new one you get banged no matter what. Mine went up $25. I normally get a sportsman with a turkey stamp for
$42. Now, with the increase plus the new DMP charge raised it to $67 total.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:11:33 AM EST
IIRC, the lifetime sportsmans is just sportsman. You have to buy the additional lifetime bow stamp along with it. 765 for sportsman + 235 for bow =1,000.00 until you turn 69 years old. Not sure if lifetime bow expires at 69.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:28:55 AM EST
The rates go up Oct 1. I just paid 600 for a lifetime sportsman, and 180 each for lifetime bow and black powder. 960 total.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:45:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kernal:
The rates go up Oct 1. I just paid 600 for a lifetime sportsman, and 180 each for lifetime bow and black powder. 960 total.

Yep, at lunch yesterday one of guys mentioned that he'd bought the same set of licenses for $960. and that it take ten years to pay for itself...then again once the State decides your a-hole is healed up a little, they'll poke you for some more money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:20:43 AM EST
Ok, looks like i'll get the "Lifetime Sportsman" for $600 (if purchased before 10/01/09) and be covered for Big & small game, Turkey, DM permits, and fresh water fishing for life.

I'll have to fork over the additional $55 if I can't get my bow class in before October 1st.

Thanks for the tips fellas. Looks like a "Lifetime Sportsman/Super Sportsman" is the way to go with the new rate hike.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:27:50 AM EST
Does anyone know if you already bought this years license and want to go to lifetime if they will credit you this years purchase? I know its a long shot, but just asking.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:22:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

Originally Posted By SigSauer228:

There are a couple of September bow classes:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9191.html

I took my Hunter Safety course in Florida. The course included a unit on bowhunting. I don't have any proof of this other than my word, possibly a print out of from FL Wildlife Commission outlining the course. Would this allow be to buy a Super Sportsman?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:29:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By defconfive:

I took my Hunter Safety course in Florida. The course included a unit on bowhunting. I don't have any proof of this other than my word, possibly a print out of from FL Wildlife Commission outlining the course. Would this allow be to buy a Super Sportsman?

If you have a hunting license that includes bowhunting, that will help you. If you don't, you will have to prove 2 seperate hunting classes, hunting and bowhunting. In NY Hunter Ed. is minimum of 10 hours. Bowhunter Ed. is minimum of 8 hours. Was Florida hunter ed. more than 18 hours total?

Top Top