Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 6:24:32 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting into some sort of hunting (hog or deer) and looking for some information:
where\when to hunt, recommended hunting club and basic info about north/south hunting laws.
The more information the better...

currently only have AR15 (.223) but looking maybe 6.8 upper or bolt-action .308 depend what i'll be hunting..

south Charlotte\Fort Mill area...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:49:05 PM EDT
I cannot speak to SC laws but in NC if you never had a hunting license before you will have to take a hunter safty course. As for the NC laws they change somewhat ever year and are different though out the state. Go to the North Carolina Wildlife resource Commission web page for the current laws
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:03:44 PM EDT
Hogs are considered feral in all but 5 counties that regulate them.  So there is a season in these 5 counties if my memory serves me correctly. Franklin, macon, cherokee, swain, and haywood.  So you'll have to follow the guidelines set forth there.  But if you are hunting hogs and even yotes you have to obey what ever seasons regulations that is going on then.  Say during turkey season you would have to only use a bow or a shotgun.  This is according to a gamewarden I spoke with last year.  And if I'm not mistaken you cannot hunt with a light at night, period.  Which sucks.  

I need to double check some things because a buddy says he has some yotes he'd like for me to take care of.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:00:25 AM EDT
thanks guys, look like there will be a three days safety class at Bass Pro shop in june. I"m signing up for it.

Wondering if the NC safety class will allow me to purchase SC hunting license. Got to go do some research.

I'm guessing most of my question can be answered at the class. (caliber, mag cap, rifle type and so on..)

If anyone will be hunting (wild boar/deer) when season come and don't mind me tagging alone, let me know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:25:50 AM EDT
Since you said Bass Pro Shop im guessing your in the Charlotte area. I do not know of any hunting clubs down in that area, you could check the classified section of your local paper. There is the game land option, Uharrrie National Forest has game lands that you can hunt in

For the SC license you would buy an out of state license for the day that you want to hunt. Im not sure how that works but there generally pretty easy to obtain in other states. If you plan a hunt with an outfit in another state they will generally have everything ready for you.

Now I enjoy both my AR in both .223 and 6.8 (im currently using to hunt with). But a really good option would be get a 30-30, its a great caliber for most anything in NC. (not so much so for squirrel and rabbit)

Good luck and good hunting,
Brewz
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 11:18:44 AM EDT
What are  you hunting with the 6.8 and how has it been?

I guess hunting on private land/leased land is a lot safer than on public forrest/wood. i saw some land for lease and are about 800/year. who know what the other are doing and shooting on the "public" land. I wonder how that work, i mean hunter can be all over the place and can't miss a target and hit you. I guess they have to allow certain amount per day/session?

Top Top