Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 12:35:40 PM EDT
Hello all!

I was was wondering where I can find out more info about BLM land, or other legal shooting/camping spots that are local to the southern California area.

I have only been out to the BLM land near RedRock/Jawbone canyon and enjoy it very much. However, it seems year after year more bikers/sandrails/etc seem to pop up more regularly and it is adding droop to my barrel. her
Anything within 4-5 hours drive of Los Angeles is perfect. I don't have any big game tags so that rules out that lot....

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Directions, Names, or GPS coordinates would be perfect!

Thanks all!

Dave
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
16 Reads and no replies?

No one shoots BLM land? Or otherwise public (non-commercial range) land?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to your closest sheriff's department and ask for a recreational shooting map. It will illustrate the open areas where you can shoot. Or you may go to the BLM website and get the info. you need.

Not so long ago I got a map with some designated areas. If I find it, maybe I can send a copy but your best bet is to call the BLM office in your area.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
We thrashed through this a few weeks back.  Basically BLM land is open to shooting with all legal firearms (and yes that includes registered AWs) as long as there isn't another restriction.  Designated camping, off-road vehicle, desert tortoise preserve, San Bernardino County Ordinance being examples of the restrictions.  Also not over roads, near structures, etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We thrashed through this a few weeks back.  Basically BLM land is open to shooting with all legal firearms (and yes that includes registered AWs) as long as there isn't another restriction.  Designated camping, off-road vehicle, desert tortoise preserve, San Bernardino County Ordinance being examples of the restrictions.  Also not over roads, near structures, etc.

OK so it's up to shooting, but how about hunting?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The hunting rules are sometimes somewhat less restrictive than the plain old shooting rules.  Check with the local office as far as type of gun and some areas.  In other words in the SBDNO County shotguns only you can use a rifle for hunting as long as the are doesn't have one of the basic no shooting restrictions (buildings, preserve, etc)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright, this is a good start, however I have been through and through the BLM.gov site, as well as recreation.gov (they link you there) looking for ideas for my next trip. The problem is that the site does not really have a shooting section, or even flag spots for shooting.

There are some that have hunting listed, however most of them are for big game. (Not what I'm looking for)

What im asking here, is not if its ok to shoot on BLM land (where otherwise is not posted), more over---WHICH BLM land is good to goto?

Like I mentioned in my first post I have been to the Jawbone Canyon area (BLM land) and have done tons of shooting out there. Hunting is legal for most animals, where not protected by other state laws. Im simply looking for other spots to check out...Change of  scenery sort of....

Paul, you mentioned that you stopped by the BLM office near "215 south/60 east split", however you didn't comment on the area, possible hunting, climate, water ways....etc. Thats what Im looking for.

I guess I should have set the subject of this thread to --- Rate/Review Public/BLM land shooting locations instead. h
JawBone Canyon / Dove Springs

Location: 20-30 Miles Past Mojave on Highway 14 in Kern County
Climate: Desert  (Cold/Windy Nights, Hot Days. Little to no rain days)
Type Of Land: BLM / Free (No permits required)
Size: Too big for me to calculate, and could not find anything online. over 1000Sq Acres
Terrain: California Desert terrain--- Grit Sand, hard packed access roads, soft sand else where. Rocky, with some slight cliff/hill     edges. Mostly flat land made up of natural washes.
Shooting: Open everywhere withing BLM land-where not specifically marked for OHV (Off Highway Vehicle Area) only. No limits to ammo/arms other than the laws that apply state wide. Common sense is needed of course as there are access roads throughout used by Edison for access to their power lines etc... Hunting local small game is allowed, and in fact depending on population a bounty can be had for local vermin/non-indigious species.

Pros: Very Remote so as to not get the packed in feeling of campers all around. Local wildlife is strong and can prove for some good bunny hunting and the occational Coyotee. great area for dirt bike riding as well.

Cons: Due to the popularity of Dove Springs. more and more dirt bike riders seem to be creating trails everywhere so more and more caution is needed in determining safe directions to shoot. Can get below freezing durring the winter months at night.

Dave

PS- Im sorry about rehashing a previously discussed topic--- If someone has a link to the old thread I would love to give it a read...I cant seem to find it in any search i do...

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Like PaDanby said, we had a good thread about this a few weeks ago.

Here's a link to where I use to go shooting www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=3799

If someone can pull up the archive and post it, that would help as you can only search back one month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top