Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2010 8:12:22 AM EDT
I'd like to get into hunting, but I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to go.  I don't really want to pay somewhere $500 to kill a hog when they're all over FL. I'm near the Tampa area so if anyone can help me with some info of where to go it'd be greatly appreciated.

ETA:
Thinking about maybe just buying some land up in Taylor County (about 3.5 hours from me).  I found this and am not sure if its a decent deal (I'd go look at it first of course).  I've got about 15k saved away and am able to get a 25k 5 year loan at 4.99% (that I don't have to start paying off until August of 2011).  

Taylor county land

Also, how would I go about purchasing this land?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Richlaom is one place that your going to find one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive had some good times boar hunting at outwest farms.

http://www.floridahuntingoutfitter.com/

They only charge $150 for a meat boar.

$250 if you want a trophy boar, with tusks bigger then 2"

Oh and I might add, if you go there do the hunt using their dogs and bring a nice knife. It a blast. They charge you any extra to have their dogs chase down a boar.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ive had some good times boar hunting at outwest farms.

http://www.floridahuntingoutfitter.com/

They only charge $150 for a meat boar.

$250 if you want a trophy boar, with tusks bigger then 2"

Is that $150 straight?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, $150 is all you will pay them, though if you use the dogs and a guide I would tip him. If you want they will skin and 1/4 the pig for $20 more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Chappy's is currently running a $25.00 special on 1/2 day hunts Monday thru Thursday.

http://www.okeechobee-hunting-fishing.com/

They're good people too.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, $150 is all you will pay them, though if you use the dogs and a guide I would tip him. If you want they will skin and 1/4 the pig for $20 more.

Thats a good price.

Spot and stalk or being able to use dogs thats great.

Do you have any Pics?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chappy's is currently running a $25.00 special on 1/2 day hunts Monday thru Thursday.

They're good people too.  

Shit, $25? Thats in my price range, $150 isn't too bad either
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're good people too.  

Yeah but they charge you an additional $100 per boar you take.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're good people too.  

Still thats less than $500
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a good price.

Spot and stalk or being able to use dogs thats great.

Do you have any Pics?

Sure, here are a couple

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/clusterpup/shotboar.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/clusterpup/deadboar.jpg

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're good people too.  

Yeah but I'd only take two at the most.  So with two I'm looking at $225

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#12]
DIY, Florida has over  a million acres of Public hunting land, much of it near Tampa. Hog hunting isn't terribly difficult if you are willing to spend some time learning and understanding Florida's hunting rules and learning where to go. Here's a good place to start.

By the way, June is the month to apply for the lottery for permits for the premium hunts.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're good people too.  

I don't need no stinkin' boar.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DIY, Florida has over  a million acres of Public hunting land, much of it near Tampa. Hog hunting isn't terribly difficult if you are willing to spent some time learning and understanding Florida's hunting rules and learning where to go. Here's a good place to start.

By the way, June is the month to apply for the lottery for permits for the premium hunts.

Public means time limit
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
DIY, Florida has over  a million acres of Public hunting land, much of it near Tampa. Hog hunting isn't terribly difficult if you are willing to spent some time learning and understanding Florida's hunting rules and learning where to go. Here's a good place to start.

Public means time limit

Huh? I'm not following
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Public means time limit

Huh? I'm not following

Hunting on private land, no license or permit needed, hunt any time.  I believe if you are on public land there is a 'season' but I have been out of Florida for four years, not sure what the actual hog 'season' is.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]
That's true for pigs, if you have private land to hunt on, but I've always had to pay a pretty penny for leases. Public land is relatively cheap, about $100 will give you access to hog hunting on state land from October to March, plus now they're adding summer hog hunts.Pay hunts are by the day, so that is an even more pressing "time limit".
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Public means time limit

Huh? I'm not following

Hunting on private land, no license or permit needed, hunt any time.  I believe if you are on public land there is a 'season' but I have been out of Florida for four years, not sure what the actual hog 'season' is.

How much land would one need to hunt on it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#19]
IVE READ ARTICLES IN WOODS AND WATER
OF GUYS TAKING MONSTER BUCKS ON 8 ACRES
OF LAND .
I HAVE 5 IN NORTH FLORIDA WHERE  IVE TRAPPED
HOGS AND SEEN MANY DEER AND TURKEYS
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I have about 11 acres very near Osceola Natl Park.  I have taken 9 bucks and 13 does over the last 7 years, all with a bow.  Countless hogs with a handgun.  I also got my first turkey with a bow over one of the plots about 4 years ago.  

I put out 100 quail about 6 years ago and another 100 two years ago.  I and the neighbors have several coveys to hunt now and they are a rather common sight, if you don't see them, you can often hear them.  There are a lot of "wild" birds mixed in now showing there is some successful breeding occurring.  I'm considering putting out a few pheasant, but they are expensive!

It's about 8 acres planted pines (about 14 years old).  I have 1.5-2  acres planted with a variety of good crops (5 separate plots).  Beans, peas, wheat, rape, turnips and other stuff.  Also have some mature oaks dropping a good mast the last few years on an adjacent parcel.  Never have gotten clover to do well though, probably soil related.  I also do supplemental feeding of corn and protein pellets from two feeders dropping about 100 pounds a week between them (about 50 each) located on opposite corners (the parcel is a square).  I ramp this up in the spring and early summer when the does are carrying/birthing.

Keeping a constant food source (and water troughs during drought) will keep game visiting year round.  The size and quality of the deer are getting better too.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have about 11 acres very near Osceola Natl Park.  I have taken 9 bucks and 13 does over the last 7 years, all with a bow.  Countless hogs with a handgun.  I also got my first turkey with a bow over one of the plots about 4 years ago.  

I put out 100 quail about 6 years ago and another 100 two years ago.  I and the neighbors have several coveys to hunt now and they are a rather common sight, if you don't see them, you can often hear them.  There are a lot of "wild" birds mixed in now showing there is some successful breeding occurring.  I'm considering putting out a few pheasant, but they are expensive!

It's about 8 acres planted pines (about 14 years old).  I have 1.5-2  acres planted with a variety of good crops (5 separate plots).  Beans, peas, wheat, rape, turnips and other stuff.  Also have some mature oaks dropping a good mast the last few years on an adjacent parcel.  Never have gotten clover to do well though, probably soil related.  I also do supplemental feeding of corn and protein pellets from two feeders dropping about 100 pounds a week between them (about 50 each) located on opposite corners (the parcel is a square).  I ramp this up in the spring and early summer when the does are carrying/birthing.

Keeping a constant food source (and water troughs during drought) will keep game visiting year round.  The size and quality of the deer are getting better too.  

Whats the best way to try and find land? I'm having a hard time

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats the best way to try and find land? I'm having a hard time

The WOODS & WATER mag. is a good place to start.
In the back there is a lot of realestate agents that deal in rurle land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top