Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:11:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 7:30:08 AM EDT by KestrelWI]
Well, I need people's advice here. I've finally broken down and after a few years of invites decided to go deer hunting this year with friends. It seems I'm 2 years too young to be grandfathered in, so I need to take a hunters safety class. Problem is the only ones I've found so far haven't meshed with my schedule. Does anyone know of any who teach this class privately? I'd rather just pay the $$ to get it over with than have to juggle my schedule to attend class with a bunch of kids if at all possible.

Thanks.

They finally added a Madison field day for the online class.

Sorry for bugging you guys.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:35:05 AM EDT
Nope, never heard of anyone teaching it privately. And all of us hunter-safety instructors get a big grin out of watching the adults try to fit in the little elementary school seats.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:54:46 AM EDT
Hehe. Thats exactly what I'm hoping to avoid if at all possible.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:03:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glenn_r:
Nope, never heard of anyone teaching it privately. And all of us hunter-safety instructors get a big grin out of watching the adults try to fit in the little elementary school seats.

I did it.
I'm old enough that I didn't need the certificate for licensure, but the figured it'd be worthwile to get familiar with WI regs.
Plus, it's required regardless of age to get an out of state license in some places out West.

Looked like a room full of 12 year olds, but there were a handful of 22-26 yr olds, mostly female.
They kept looking to me to answer all their gun related questions.
I got invited out for drinks a couple times.

I said it sounded like fun, but I'd have to see if she was still cute after my wife clawed her eyes out.

Wife wants to hunt now, and is gonna take the class this year.
I've promised to tease her mercilessly.
Haven't yet decided what to send her with for the bring-your-gun days.
It'll either be an evil looking AR with a tac sling and a bunch of shit hung on it, or the dumbest looking undersized kid's rifle I can find .... .22 Cricket or something.

Either way, I'm going to sit with all the Dad's in the back of the room, just for entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 4:26:10 PM EDT by photoman]

Originally Posted By Throttle-Junkie:

Originally Posted By glenn_r:

I did it.
I'm old enough that I didn't need the certificate for licensure, but the figured it'd be worthwile to get familiar with WI regs.
Plus, it's required regardless of age to get an out of state license in some places out West.

Looked like a room full of 12 year olds, but there were a handful of 22-26 yr olds, mostly female.
They kept looking to me to answer all their gun related questions.
I got invited out for drinks a couple times.

I said it sounded like fun, but I'd have to see if she was still cute after my wife clawed her eyes out.

Wife wants to hunt now, and is gonna take the class this year.
I've promised to tease her mercilessly.
Haven't yet decided what to send her with for the bring-your-gun days.
It'll either be an evil looking AR with a tac sling and a bunch of shit hung on it, or the dumbest looking undersized kid's rifle I can find .... .22 Cricket or something.

Either way, I'm going to sit with all the Dad's in the back of the room, just for entertainment.

Not sure when they are doing it, but the club does at least one hunters safety class every year. And IIRC HKMP5A2 helps teach that class.(hey you can legaly hunt with that MP5......Well kinda sorta maybe just maybe becasue of the statute behind that reg.)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:15:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Throttle-Junkie:
I did it.
I'm old enough that I didn't need the certificate for licensure, but the figured it'd be worthwile to get familiar with WI regs

You were born before 1973!? Coulda fooled me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:37:15 AM EDT
So if I need to have a Hunters safety Cert. to get a license out West and I no longer have any documentation from when I was 12 in 1984 am I SOL? Do I need to retake it? I sure wish I new where that Cert. was but I have not used it since I was 18. I could also use it to apply for a FL CCW. Not still having that is the only thing keeping me form doing so.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:06:21 AM EDT
Contact the DNR, they should have record of you taking it. That's what I did when I wanted to become an instructor, because I couldn't find proof of having taken the course. They found me in the records and sent out a duplicate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:31:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 11:39:04 AM EDT by Cradddock]
Thanks-that would be great if they could find it.

Edit to add: I just got off the phone with WI DNR and they charged me $2.75 for a copy that will go out tommorow if they do not get it out yet today. I was on the phone for mabey 5 minutes and was never on hold.

Who would have ever thought it would be that easy?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:41:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cradddock:
So if I need to have a Hunters safety Cert. to get a license out West and I no longer have any documentation from when I was 12 in 1984 am I SOL? Do I need to retake it? I sure wish I new where that Cert. was but I have not used it since I was 18. I could also use it to apply for a FL CCW. Not still having that is the only thing keeping me form doing so.

Actually IIRC the FLA permit requires that you have taken a class within a year of applying for the permit, so you may still not be able to use it. I have a app for a FLA permit at home I'll check it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:19:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By photoman:

Actually IIRC the FLA permit requires that you have taken a class within a year of applying for the permit, so you may still not be able to use it. I have a app for a FLA permit at home I'll check it.

Nope. He's good as long as he passed and got the cert.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:27:53 PM EDT

Thanks-that would be great if they could find it.

Edit to add: I just got off the phone with WI DNR and they charged me $2.75 for a copy that will go out tommorow if they do not get it out yet today. I was on the phone for mabey 5 minutes and was never on hold.

Who would have ever thought it would be that easy?

That was fast.It's free for a new one if you have any piece of the old one no matter how mangled or unreadable it is,at least that's what they told me in Eagle when I went and got a new one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:55:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FMD:

Nope. He's good as long as he passed and got the cert.

My app says the course has to have been taken within 1 year of applying for the permit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:53:35 PM EDT
How old is you app? Mine has nothing of the sort on it and I recieved it the summer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:53:43 PM EDT
LOL, My card (If it had not crumbled into a million pieces) is so old I wouldnt be able to do anything with it. I suppose I should get a new one. I don't need one as I a pre-dated but I should still get it I suppose. The new ones are much nicer than the stiff piece of plastic I was issued.

We don't use the school desks, we use the cafeteria picnic tables so they will accomodate "most" sizes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:48:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 5:57:17 PM EDT by FMD]

My app says the course has to have been taken within 1 year of applying for the permit.

FL or MN?

ETA: Searched the 2005 FL Statutes. No time limit required for acceptable documentation:

www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/ch0790.htm

How old is you app again? I filled mine out in 2001, and completed Hunter's ed in 97 or 98.
Top Top