Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 8:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2016 11:43:35 PM EDT by AZNemesis50]
Out three days in Unit 33. One of our party got a few shots at a herd of 15 Friday morning. We saw nothing Saturday after going to an area a bit away from our usual area to give the pigs a day to calm down. Sunday morning at 7:10 I parked the truck, we  got out and lined up about 50 yards apart and started moving slow. At 7:15 one of my partners shot 3 times. I got ready and this boar crossed in front of me at about 30 yards. One shot behind the shoulder, near broadside, and he went down. Four guys, two got shots, I'm the only one that got one. On a really cool note, I got my son back into hunting for the first time in over 20 years. He discovered girls and cars in high school and that ended it for a bit. Now he has a family and I built him two AR's with the stipulation he try hunting again. It worked.

When I get my stamps back I intend to try next year with a 10.5 300 BO, maybe suppressed too.

Aero upper/ lower/ 12" rail
PSA lower parts with RRA 4.5# NM trigger
BA 16" Gov't barrel
Hogue grip/ buttstock
Aimpoint PRO

70gr Barnes TSX - 2750fps

Pig bed

This is what the whole area looks like. 50 yards would be an exceptionally long shot.

I've been watching this one for over 40 years...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:02:13 PM EDT
Good work! Sadly I couldn't go out. ASU ruined my trip
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:12:19 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JeredMD:
Good work! Sadly I couldn't go out. ASU ruined my trip
View Quote

Boo whore. Excuses excuses! Lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:33:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:33:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 10:46:59 AM EDT by AZNemesis50]
That' OK, I haven't posted on yours yet. Congrats!

He was running across and angled ever so slightly towards me. The shot took him him right behind the right shoulder, took out one lung, barely clipped the paunch and exited in dramatic fashion taking some gut with it, The gut didn't pop and even with the paunch clipped there was minimal stuff inside. Easy washout. The Barnes 70gr TSX performed well but I think it may be a bit much at 25-30 yards. I wish I could've recovered it.

I always skin before gutting to keep bristles out of the cavity. After dressing them out I wash them well with cold water I keep in coolers just for that. Hang and let dry off before I bone out.

I've never had a rank smelling one taste bad after my "treatments" in the field. The texture of the meat reminds me of goat but of course, the taste is wild, not necessarily gamey. We eat the loins/ tender loins on their own and I oven roast the rest to later shred for red chile, or tamales. We've also pit-cooked them whole, stuffed with link sausages and jalapenos. The ribs are usually a complete loss through shot damage or just bloodshot and get tossed. Not much meat there anyway.

If I don't have my own red chile pods to use I buy Bueno frozen puree at Fry's. Fix it according to the container adjusting spices however suites you. I rub sea salt, pepper, and garlic on the meat. olive oil it up a bit, roast until just done. Shred the meat when cool into a crock pot, add beer for braising and let it cook for a few hours. Drain the liquid, add however much red chile sauce you want and cook on low for another couple hours. Have good tortillas handy!

To pit-cook. Rub it well with salt, pepper, garlic. You can make slits and poke whole garlic cloves inside if you really like garlic. Fill cavity with pork sausage links and jalapeno peppers, wrap in a wet white sheet. Then wrap in a wet burlap sack. We have used a 55 gal drum buried as a pit, or dig a pit and burn mesquite in it. Cover coals with tin, lay meat on tin, Lay more tin over meat, cover pit. Dig up 24 hours later, meat falls off the bone. Have good tortillas handy!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:48:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 10:48:54 AM EDT by Corporal_Chaos]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:25:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 1:26:18 PM EDT by JeredMD]
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
That's encouraging.  The people I know swear that they taste as bad as they smell.  

When I was stationed at Benning people would say the same thing about the feral hogs there.  They were wrong.

Mine died quick and I starting gutting him less than 5 minutes after he went down.  

There was no bile/shit contamination of the meat and I had his skin off and put him on ice relatively quickly so I am hoping he will be as prime tasting as a boar can be.

I'm a big believer in how the meat was handled will ultimately determine the taste.

Just to be on the safe side though I think I'll try some in the crockpot with lots of barbecue sauce first.
View Quote

I like Javelina. Crockpot cooking has been my go to technique. I am going to try pit BBQ and tamales next. I just need to learn how to make tamales and get working on digging a pit in the back yard
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 7:20:28 PM EDT by AZNemesis50]
How you handle javelina after the kill is imperative to good tasting meat, more so than other animals. A lot of people I've known that took one and didn't like it either screwed with the musk gland getting it on their knives and hands, or got musk covered back bristles rubbed in all over the carcass. Properly skinned, washed, and cooled out to dry is the only way. If it still has a javelina odor, wash it some more. It will come off.

We eat game because we like the alternative to domestic meat, and enjoy taking it. It shouldn't taste like store-bought but shouldn't be fouled either.

I haven't tried making tamales yet but have had a few pigs made into them for me. Lord knows I've taken enough tamales apart I should be able to do it. Most of my game recipes end with "have some good tortillas handy". I think there may be a pattern there.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 9:50:01 PM EDT by Corporal_Chaos]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:38:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
About the musk gland, can it be identified from the meat side of the skin?  I was told from the outside it looks like a bump or nipple on their back but I never noticed it during skinning.
View Quote

Its really noticable when you look on the inside of the hide. Mid-lower back. From the inside it looks like a white gland. Honestly I think it's very hard to hit it, it comes off with the hide really simple when skinning. I never have hit one out of the many javelina I have cleaned.

I think the Pecari Tajacu is a cool species here in AZ.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:18:55 PM EDT
What he said. ^^
Top Top