Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:31:41 PM EDT
Hey, how do you go about selling a personal gun at a gunshow? Or is there a sight with these rules on it that I can go to for reference?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to either wear a large white posterboard with the description of for sale items or,
if your selling a rifle, you must take said posterboard and glue a dowl rod to it with the
rod stuck in the barrel with a description of for sale items. Also dont for get the sharpie
to cross out what has been sold.

Seriously though I dont think there are any special rules. Just walk around and with the
gun and many people will ask you about it. Be carefull with some of the dealers though.
Use judgement on who you sell to.

Randy
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
When selling at gunshows there are no set rules(at least in tx), but there are some common sense rules to follow.

1. Size up the person you are dealing with. If a dealer, look at how he displays his items. If he has a neat display with good items then you are proubly safe. If an individual, I hate to say but profiling does work to a certain extent. If the individual is dressed like a gang banger I would pass. Dressed nicely then I will consider haggling over price. When dealing with someone go on feel, if it feels wrong don't do the deal.

2. Haggle or trade as maybe appropriate. Dealers are looking to low ball you as are individuals. Go in with a price idea you are looking at. Haggle by starting a little higher then your asking price.

3. When a price is agreed to, GET IN CASH. Write out a bill of sale with your info and theirs.
This is important if something happens. A friend of mine had to show that he had sold his mini14 to the FBI or he would have been doing time for a OK bank robbery, they used his ex-rifle.

Other than that have fun at the haggle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI - For security reasons, I do not give out my personal info to strangers at gun shows. I may let you see my DL/CHL to see I actually live in Texas and am over 18, but you are not copying anything down. If you insist on that, then there is no deal and I imagine about 50% of the other Texasn feel the same way, so you will greatly reduce your customer base.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
FYI - For security reasons, I do not give out my personal info to strangers at gun shows. I may let you see my DL/CHL to see I actually live in Texas and am over 18, but you are not copying anything down. If you insist on that, then there is no deal and I imagine about 50% of the other Texasn feel the same way, so you will greatly reduce your customer base.

+1

Also, if the buyer says "I'm glad you're selling this to me because I'm a convicted felon with mental illness and I beat my wife.  Thank goodness I can start robbing banks again with this weapon."    Then I'd pass on that deal.

R.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
One suggestion  - don't even bother talking to dealers.  They will only offer you a price slightly below whoelsale.   So be sure to ask, "Are you a dealer?" when somone shows interest.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. Now that you mention felons, it kind of freaks me out. Is there any liability on my part? I mean, I'm sure there can be a decent looking, honest sounding felon lurking around.

I might just hang on to my gun. I wouldn't get much for it anyways.

Thanks again for the replys!!  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dealers must copy this info down.  Otherwise we won't buy from you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One suggestion  - don't even bother talking to dealers.  They will only offer you a price slightly below whoelsale.   So be sure to ask, "Are you a dealer?" when somone shows interest.

CMOS

Why would we want to pay more?  We get it brand new at wholesale price and you are trying to sell a used firearm.  We then have to sell it whereas you were to lazy to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:09:56 AM EDT
[#9]
i would not sell unless there was written bill of sale.

would you just hand over your car when you sell it with no proof of sale?

but i dont sell to strangers, it usually stays within friends so that i/we have the option of getting it back later.

when its sold to outside people its usually shipped out of state and then it goes through a ffl.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

Why would we want to pay more?  We get it brand new at wholesale price and you are trying to sell a used firearm.  We then have to sell it whereas you were to lazy to do it yourself.

As a business - you wouldn't want to pay more.  

I'm giving HIM advice as a civie selling a firearm.  I see dealers all the time at the entrance to gun shows trying (wisely) to buy firearms cheaply before they ever get in the door.  Good business sense for you, not for the seller.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Now that you mention felons, it kind of freaks me out. Is there any liability on my part? I mean, I'm sure there can be a decent looking, honest sounding felon lurking around.

I might just hang on to my gun. I wouldn't get much for it anyways.

Thanks again for the replies!!  

if you KNOWINGLY sell to a felon or any other prohibited person you can be held liable.  the less you know about the person in that regard the less culpable you will be.  you need to know who your selling or buying from.  how are they dressed and more importantly how do they act and speak?  are they dressed comfortable?  by their mannerisms and speech are they serious about buying and selling guns?  

now back to your gun.  if you want to keep it that's fine.  tell us what it is and we will tell you how much we think it's worth, how much you should try to get for it and how much you can honestly get for it.  If  you have never taken a gun to a gun show your missing out on a very fun aspect of the show.  it sounds like you don't want to sell it because you think it's too much trouble or you could get into trouble.  neither of which is the case.  If you could pocket an extra 10-20% over what you paid for the gun would that interest you?  you will get a lesson in psychology.  how about just taking the gun to the show and having a little fun.  you don't have to sell it.  just walk around and talk to people and try to sell it?  you have to know how to play the game...  first some simple rules.  carry cash.  including small bills to make change.  only accept cash.  never give info or take info from someone.  you not required by law to.  do you really want someone who you don't know to know that you like guns, where you live and that you have a gun collection?  sounds like a good way to get robbed to me.

let's say you have a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel.  what is that worth to you to keep it?  (for me that number is $300.00)  a dealer is going to give you what it is worth minus the cost he will incur selling it and minus his markup.  so say he can sell it for 300.  minus the 25.00 to carry it to a dozen gun shows and minus the 100.00 he needs to make to stay in business he will offer you AT MOST $175.00.  which sucks!

now i have a 686 at the house and i want another and the one you have is exactly like mine.  so i may give you 325 because your gun is nice!  so how do you get the extra 25.00 from me?  first of all you have to make sure i see it.  just tuck the gun in the front of your pants and don't hide it in a backpack or carry it in your hand.  when you walk around with it notice how the people around you pay attention.  if someone looks interested strike up a conversation.  pull the gun out and show it to them.  let them hold it and look it over.  first thing they are going to ask is how much you want for it.  what are you going to say?  you can go high.  at your selling price or go a little chicken and sell low.  the best thing to do is maybe to ask them to step to the end of the isle and conduct business out of the way of the other gun show patrons.  that also gives you time to reflect on him and if it's a safe sale.  let him hold it again.  offer to cut the tie wrap off.  (did you bring extra tie wraps and a pair of side cutters?  cutting the tie is ok and not a big deal at all.  just don't cut he tie with a knife.  you can scratch the finish and blow the deal.)  let him check the action and dry fire it.  he will be hesitant to dry fire it but tell his it's ok and won't hurt the gun.  in truth it won't but folks are always hesitant about dry firing other peoples guns.  tell him a little more about this specific gun.  things that will help you sell it are how accurate it is, how much it kicks, what kind of ammo works the best.  the longer he holds the gun it seems the more likely he is to buy it.  by now you should have a good feeling about him and how much he can pay for it.  if the guy seems fishy thank him for his time, or offer a high price.  that little old 686 may be worth $500.00 to him.  i am not the best haggler in town so i won't try to...  what i do is try to pick a price that he can afford but is never below my selling price.  he may hand the gun back or offer a counter price.  if he hands the gun back just thank him for looking at it and put a fresh tie wrap on it.  if he counters then you got some jawing to do.  (how much is it worth to you)?  did you bring anything else to sweeten the deal?  like a sling, spare mags or a holster?  sometimes a  crappy $5.00 holster will make a $25.00 sale.  some folks want to get a deal and a couple mags may be enough they feel the deal is good.            

keep in mind a good used gun from an honest individual like yourself is worth as much to another private individual as a new gun that has a FFL paper trail.    well that's what i know.  good luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

As a business - you wouldn't want to pay more.  

I'm not trying to be antogonistic, the advantages to sell to a dealer at a lower price are numerous.  You don't have to invest any more of your money trying to sell it.  Broker fees, entrance fees to gunshows, adds and gas.  You don't have to waste your time.  You don't have to deal with idiots, unless the dealer is an idiot.  Most importantly, there is a paper trail, the dealer and I mean dealer with an FFL,  will give you a receipt.  When he sells it a 4473 will be completed.  If it is used in a crime just tell the BATF what dealer you sold it to and you are off the hook.  This is much like trading your old car in at a dealership when when you buy a new one.  We all know you don't get full value, it is a convienence for you.  The dealer, justifiably, should be compensated for the extra effort he performs.

I'm giving HIM advice as a civie selling a firearm.  I see dealers all the time at the entrance to gun shows trying (wisely) to buy firearms cheaply before they ever get in the door.  Good business sense for you, not for the seller.  

CMOS

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dealers must copy this info down.  Otherwise we won't buy from you.

Dealers are not strangers. They are Federally licensed. I have been giving them my personal info since I was 18. This is about non-licensees selling to another non-licensee.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i would not sell unless there was written bill of sale.

would you just hand over your car when you sell it with no proof of sale?

but i dont sell to strangers, it usually stays within friends so that i/we have the option of getting it back later.

when its sold to outside people its usually shipped out of state and then it goes through a ffl.

+1

I would type out a simple bill of sale before the show.  Make 2 copies (one for the buyer and seller).

Include:
Name of buyer (leave blank of buyers name)
Name of seller
Type of firearm and SN#
Date sold

I also would ask to see State ID or if in Texas a CHL.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top