Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:00:19 PM EDT
I'm interested in getting either a suppressor for a .22 or maybe my 1911 or possibly my ar....haven't decided yet. I was wondering what the process involved in Frankfort Ky,?

Also what about getting a 11" or smaller ar? I'm interested in getting a 9mm in something short.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:33:29 PM EDT
as far as the suppressor goes the easiest way to get one is to find a class 3 dealer near you that has what you interested in for sale and buy it. after it's purchased your dealer will give you 2 copies of a form 4, 2 copies of fingerprint cards, and a citizen ship from. the form 4's will each need a self picture attached and signed by your CLEO (chief law enforcement officer). that's usually your county sherrif. of course you'll have to be fingerprinted on both fingerprint cards. the citizen ship form is basicly you signing a form stating your country of citizenship. assumbly the USA. once all that's filled out and signed etc. etc., you'll drop it all in the mail with a check or MO for $200 to the address listed on the form 4. then a long wait begins. usually 3 to 4 months later you'll get a call from the dealer you bought the can from saying the forms are back and you can come pick up your can.

as for putting a short barrel on your rifle (I'll assume we're talking about an AR) the easiest way to legally do it is to buy a lower reciever or rifle, get 2 copies of a form 1, 2 fingerprint cards, and 1 citizenship form.

fill out the form 1's (a form 1 is an application to make and register a NFA weapon) there are spaces on the form 1 for info on the reciever you'll be registering as a SBR along with caliber and barrel length. because it's an AR and the caliber and barrel length are easily changed the best bet is to list all the different calibers and barrels you might use.

attach your pics to the forms, get them signed by your CLEO, get fingerprinted, then send off the form1's, the fingerprint cards, the citizen ship form, and $200 to the address listed on the form 1. then a long wait begins. 3 to 4 months later you'll get an approved form 1 in the mail.

after you have the form back approved you can then put a short barrelled upper on your AR. your lower will ahve to be engraved with your name, city, and state because you are the manufacturer that made the short barrelled rifle

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:58:51 PM EDT
You forgot the last step,after you have it all done and it is working good.The law says you have to call me up and have me come test it.......

I fondeling some eleses gun,liek whareing some eleses underwhare?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:14:46 PM EDT
It seems like to me the local sheriff wouldn't want somebody getting a suppressor or a SBR? I mean can they actually tell somebody no if I don't have a criminal record or anything?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:24:01 PM EDT
the sheriff isn't the only person batfe considers as a CLEO. the cheif of police for your city, the mayor, and county attorney may also work. if you can't get the CLEO sign off there's always the corporate route but it's always best to have your stuff registered to you if at all possible. if you're in jefferson or bullit counties you should be good to go as far as signoffs go. provided you're not a felon etc etc
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:25:01 AM EDT
There isn't a requirement for the CLEO to sign a Form 4 or Form 1. Its totally up to his discretion. Most will sign, others won't. Best thing to do is call ahead and find out before buying your suppressor. If he's a non-signer it gives you a chance to find other options or incorporate without having your item laying around a dealers shop.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:01:06 AM EDT
I just had to tell ya all,In TN it is a law that if you havent been in trouble,the local LEO has to sighn off on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:21:54 PM EDT
Ok so anybody done this in Frankfort?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:13:56 AM EDT
I belive you must have a class three dealer do it .I could be wrong and often am.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:45:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By beaterAR:
I belive you must have a class three dealer do it .I could be wrong and often am.

If the item is on a Form 4 in your state of residence you can do a person to person transfer without a dealer. Other than that you're stuck paying a dealer $50-$100 to do a transfer for you unless you find a dealer with what you want in stock.
Top Top