Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
A NIB 3rd gen Glock 19???-or maybe a 23
or
A NIB compact XD40???

also if you would chose one over the other.
ETA I will most likely be buying from a local dealer, so that might help figure the price better.
Thanks for any reply
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, none of the above actually. If i was having to make decision on what pistol it would be an XD over a glock any day and it would have to be 4" service model. What are you wanting the pistol for? CCW, range gun? FYI , i carry a 4" service 45acp XD everyday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the XD, beats the hell out of a glock and has that extra added grip safety.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
+1

V-10 .40XD
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1

V-10 .40XD

How do ya lke that ported model? I shot my buddies theother day and man that thing throws some shockwaves
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I love it.  I have shot the service, sub, and tactical, and I am more than happy with the one I picked out.  The recoil is next to nothing and its so easy to control.  I shot my friends tactical and was all over the map.  I had him shoot mine and after he finished one magazine, his first words were, "I want one!"

Granted, you have to have a trigger job done, as with any new firearm these days, and it will make a ton of differnce.  The overtravel is reduced and the trigger breaks at just under 4lbs.  If you have an XD and havent had the trigger done, your missing out and wasting your time with an otherwise average pistol.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone in Missouri doing XD trigger jobs?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Derrick, who do you get to do the trigger?  I do alot of trigger jobs but haven't figured out how to reduce the reset length or overtravel on the XD.

I asked around the West Plains area and also Northern Arkansas and couldnt find anyone to handle it.  I eventually just ended up sending it back to Springfield Armory and having them do it.  Nobody wanted to work on them and I guess everyone and their brother was having it done because it took just at 2 months for it to be done.  This was about a year ago so its probably slowed down more.  I cant imagine it taking that long now.  They may have only worked on the XD line one or two days a week and that may have been why it took so long.  I looked in the SA section of the handguns and theirs another place that is doing them, but for my money, Id just as soon have the people who built it handle it.  Made a world of difference!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to see you ported-gun guys fire it from the close-retention postition just once.  And I hope you trimmed your beard.

That'd be funny right there, I don't care who ya are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW so it almost seems XD.......hands down!!! Please somebody spit some prices, i need to know what kind of damage to the pocket book i going to make
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#12]
i paid $510.04 out the door for my 45ACP service model. $474 for the gun and then tax etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#13]
AS for trigger jobs the folks over @ hs2000talk.com swear by rich @ canyon creek and his trigger jobs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry a 4" XD Green and Black 9mm every day.  I love it.  I have has a couple of glocks and I'm far happier with the XD
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
With tax and the fee to my gun guy, I was out the door exactly $501 lighter for my V-10
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Color me a Glock fan.  It's like a shovel in that it's just a tool to get a job done and (IMO) doesn't need to be fancy.  It has often been said, by 1911 fans, that a Glock is for a guy (or gal) who has to carry a gun and a 1911 is for a guy who likes to carry a gun.

My personal favorite carry package gun is a G23 carrying 14rds of potent .40 Speer 165gn GoldDots + two spare mags equaling 40 rounds of .40 ammo on my person.  That's like 1600 bits of goodness.    The Glock is light weight, carries plenty of ammo and is well proven.   Even during the Klinton "ban" era, 10+1 rds of .40 in a G23 sized pistol was still a pretty decent overall package, but 13+1 is that much more betterer.

My personal G23 is a very old gun with a 5 digit serial number RPxxx (made 10/1990) and has suffered exactly 2 failures in the tens of thousands of rounds that I have put through it.  I broke the bottom 1/3rd of the extractor off a couple of times and was puzzled about how it happened until someone much smarter than me caught me dropping the slide on an already-chambered round.  Apparently that's a big no-no with a cast ejector like on the Glock.  Since stopping that practice I have yet to ever break another extractor.  BUT, the gun continued to work 100% and the "failure" was just aesthetic.

The one and only true failure that I have ever experienced, which was almost 10 years ago, was when my G23 suffered a total breakage of the frame-mounted locking block.  I knew something was awry when the barrel was still locked up in the slide but the slide was "back" an inch from its at-rest position.  I sent it back to Glock with the fired brass still in it and 10 years after it was originally made, and me not being the original owner, Glock fixed it for free!  It has never given me a bit of trouble since then.

And the Meprolight sights that I have on it are easily 10 years old and still glow plenty brightly.

Also, Glock's "flat-spring" recoil spring assembly is flawless, easily being able to outlast traditional round-wire springs by several times.  I have however added a 3.5# factory made connector to lighten the sproingy trigger a bit.

In short, My Glock ain't broke so I see absolutely no need to experiment with buying and proving (to myself) the latest Gun du Jour.

Oh, and magazines are like crazy dirt cheap for Glocks now.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've always been a Glock fan; carried the 19 all day yesterday.  Next time we shoot I suppose I need to try out an XD and see what the excitement is all about.  

Jeff

Your more than welcome to try my .45acp at the next shoot. What more can you ask for in a pistol jeff, 1911 ergonomics and light weight with 14 rounds of .45 MY XD with 14 rounds weighs less than my 5"1911 with 8 rounds in it, i am in love
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
From my post count you can tell I don’t often say much but I’ve been around for a while and have to comment on this one.

I'd like for anyone to give me one solid factual reason why an XD is better than a Glock.

I think both are good weapons and IF money wasn't an object, I'd buy an XD (probably in .45) to go along with my Glock 22 (.40 cal) and 1911.

Glocks have been around for a long time and have proven themselves time and time again as reliable functioning weapons with minimal problems. There are several extream tourcher test that demonstrate the abuse these things can take. This is not to say that an XD won’t do the same, they’ve just not been around as long and I've yet to see a test.

I've had thousands of rounds through mine with nothing more than running a bore snake through it once in a while.

The kaboom crowd will always chim in here , however in most all cases it can be attributed to hot hand loaded rounds. I’ve seen documented cases of just about every other mfg's gun with catastophic failures so it's not limited to Glocks.

Also, DON'T USE LEAD BULLETS! With the octagonal rifled barrels on Glocks, the barrel will lead up fast and lead to extremely high pressures with NORMAL loads (possible kaboom).

If you shoot factory ammo, you will (99.99% of the time) never have any problems. In the other .01%, it simply a matter of numbers. With all the Glocks out there, (as with any other manufacturer), there will be failures and sometime they will be catastrophic.

Some will point to the grip safety. This is another preference and comfort factor. It gives some people that extra level of comfort. If it does you, then go with the XD.  Ultimatly your brain and finger are your SAFETY!!!!

If your finger is not on the trigger, neither gun will go off.

Decide on what you intended use is, caliber you want, what size frame you want, and then grip both guns and see which one fits better (ergonomics) and buy that one. If you have a chance, I'd shoot both before buying either.

As I said, both are good guns…It boils down to preference!

Good luck with your choice

Oh, and I thnk Glocks are more aesthetically pleasing
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#20]

I've had a couple of glocks and I'm personally happier with my XD.

They are both great handguns, if the glock wasn't a good, reliable pistol, the police wouldn't use them.

What I think this boils down to is if someone is trying to make an unbiased, educated decision on what to buy, then they should try and arrange to shoot both and go with whatever they like/fits their needs better.  They are both comparable on price, within reason.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:18:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Oh, and I thnk Glocks are more aesthetically pleasing

go back to your box gimp
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd go with the glock, I shoot them better.  I feel that the XD has more muzzle flip than the glocks due to the hight of the bore.  And I'd say 400-450 would be a good price for them.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I do have some expierience with Glocks however iv had none with XDs. And due to the face that everybody i know ownes one, im thinking of taking a chance with something different. However i dont want to go to far away from what im used to and comfrotable with(glock). This thread is going great keep up all the good info!!!! thanks.

ETA- this mostly will be for CCW-once i get my permit taken care of and possibly for future duty carry.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ETA- this mostly will be for CCW-once i get my permit taken care of and possibly for future duty carry.

I do carry my 4" XD most of the time, however, I think it is a little big (my big I mean thick) for my tastes to carry concealed comfortably.  That's why I'm going to get a small 1911 from springfield or kimber as a daily carry rig.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I have shot both the Glocks and XDs and the Springfield fits better in my hand and is much more comfortable than the Glock.  Also, I think they look better.  The Glock just doesnt do it for me.  My only beef with the XD is why I couldnt get the stainless slide for my V-10, but other than that, I wouldnt trade my XD for any Glock in any caliber.  Its small, light, and in the dark, it looks mean with the green tritium eyes glowing at you!  Just my .02
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Another vote for the XD.

It was asked earlier what was made the XD factually better than the Glock? That's simple, for me anyway, it points and shoots more naturally.

I'll never forget holding a Glock for the first time, and thinking "what the hell is this thing?". It felt like wood block, or more to the point, a toy gun. Never had that though with a XD, 1911, or HP. They all feel more natural to me.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do carry my 4" XD most of the time, however, I think it is a little big (my big I mean thick) for my tastes to carry concealed comfortably.  That's why I'm going to get a small 1911 from springfield or kimber as a daily carry rig.  

I carry a 3" 1911 from SA.  I also own a 4" XD40.   I'm thinking of switching to the XD for carry, for 2 reasons.  1. The thickness you mentioned is negligable and the xd has smoother lines so as to not poke and prod at me all day (in short, I think the XD would be more comfortable).  and 2. I like to practice with my carry weapon regularly, and ammo is cheaper for the .40.

just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top