Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 3:41:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish. We need a local ARFCom lawyer...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if he's NRA recommended, but the lawyer I would call has handled a few things for my family and he's got a fair list of accomplishments. Former prosecutor/DA/Mayor of Columbus, GA, he is about the only person I would call in a time of emergency and not to mention his daughter is hot and good in bed
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
My step-father is a lawyer, so I guess that counts. Although I wouldn't consider him "gun friendly," but for me the price is right if I need some help.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The lawyer needs to be one that have practice in criminal defense, preferably one who have defended civilians or law enforcement officers in justified shootings.  Real estate, divorce or an attorney who did your will may not be who you want.  We all don't care for lawyers in general, but if we need one to defend us in a justified shooting, we want one that is a bulldog kickass but also knowledgeable attorney.  Expected to be arrested or at least taken in for questioning if involved in a shooting, even if you think you're totally justified.
Didn't mean to appear like I'm giving legal advice, because I don't want to play an internet attorney.  Just a student.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I have several but none of they are criminal defense attorneys.

I look at it this way. If I get arrested I will call the attorney I have on speed dial. He can sit in the interrogation room w/ me and tell me to "shut up" over and over, he can also get me through the bail proceedings..........but there will be a lot of time before any trial, so I have plenty of time to find a pit bull criminal defense attorney.

Also, I like to use an attorney from the area, in which the trouble began. You don't want to use an Atlanta lawyer in Columbus. Why, you ask? Because the Atlanta lawyer won't be part of the "good ole boy" network in the area.....which is very important!

So, to answer your question. You don't need a criminal defense attorney on speed dial. What you need is to have a network of attorneys that can provide you with referrals to the best type/qualified attorney to use for the exact situation you are in. These people are very specialized, so hire the best!

Accountant
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Officer or Citizen involved shooting are a different matter than a DUI or a theft charge, you need someone that has done them before and is good at it, if he is good there will not be a charge made and you dont have to worry about a trial.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thinking about the car jacking and fatal shooting of the perp got my thinking about one thing Ken Hackathorn always says in his classes - have a lawyer you can call in the event you are involved in a shooting.  That is one piece of advice I've heard Ken say a few times and I've never acted on it.

Any of you guys know a "gun friendly" lawyer in the metro area?

Not to change the subject, but I heard the Acworth shooter being interviewed on TV last night.  I kept saying to him, "shut up, shut up, shut up."  For some reason he couldn't hear me.  

On the subject, a friend's wife is a court clerk as well as a part time magistrate judge for the Gwinnetian Empire.  I'll ask if she knows some good defense attorneys.  Perhaps we can start building a database and have a tacked thread.  

I can see it now: Calling my wife from jail, "honey, can you go to www.arfcom.com > hometown forums > GA > thread at the top says, GA Gun Happy Lawyers.  Get me some numbers quick!!!"
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Also, I like to use an attorney from the area, in which the trouble began. You don't want to use an Atlanta lawyer in Columbus. Why, you ask? Because the Atlanta lawyer won't be part of the "good ole boy" network in the area.....which is very important!

I agree but I also disagree, just because a lawyer resides in one town doesn't mean he can't be a part of the good ole boy network in another town (it is amazing at how the 'legal' system truly works), they all went to school here in GA so really they all do know each other. Of course it's not that close of relationship shared when the lawyer and judge are neighbors, but still I know he's going to go up and over what some random lawyer is going to do for me. I would definately add the help of the top dog locally, but he is always going to be my go to guy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Like accountant said you can always higher the specialized lawyer later.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't "have " a lawyer but I have been had by a few over the years.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Silhouette targets or lawyers: Is there a difference? Should there be a difference? As to sitting in an interview room and KNOWING when to shut up, it's very simple. Miranda v. Arizona says it all; thus the reason for the "Miranda Warning" ["You have the right to remain silent", etc.]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:36:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
BH... good rationale there. Actually, I'd guess that if it was a good shoot, your chances of having the case prosecuted or not would depend on whether you're located in a rural county [like Wilkinson], as opposed to an urban type [like Fulton]. politics and all the associated baggage that goes with such, you know? hought
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I have an attorney on retainer. He is here in Douglasville, Ga. He is very pro gun, a NRA Instructor and helps me teach classes. He does all of the legal stuff on Georgia Law for my classes. He is a reloader owns a couple of the black rifles. Good guy and is a crimminal defense attorney!

Law Office of James Anagnostakis
Esquire Nathan Jackson
8641 Davis Rd.
Building C, Suite 150
P.O. Box 7163
Douglasville, Ga. 30154
Phone 678-508-5613
Fax 770-489-5010

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top