Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2005 9:29:36 PM EDT
When I buy a rifle in this state, how long does "the man" keep that record?  I know the 4473 that I fill out is kept with the dealer, but when the background check is run, how long do they keep a record that I purchased a firearm?   I have heard it must be destroyed within 48 hours, and other have said 30 days.  Whats the deal and where can I find it in writing?

Steve
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Once they have your records, they assign an agent to you, to do local phone taps, case your place out, and tail you for the first year.  After that their activities slow down to a once a month thing, and after 10 years they reduce it to a once a year suprise check-up.  The problem right now is that they don't have enough agents, each agents is assigned 10 suspects.  As their suspects move to the once a year check up, they are assigned a new one to replace him.  You have to understand after ten years their case load keeps on growing, and growing.  At the rate that Caifornians are buying guns they cannot keep up this pace.  There is not enough money in the budget to continue to hire at this pace, I have heard that some guys are trying to track fifty people at once.  All the agents complain about is that we are spending too much money on the education system, and not enough on tracking possible criminals.  See, once you buy a gun in Cali, you are now considered a potential criminal.

I'm not sure if all this info is correct, I pulled this from a website, called the blackhelicopterfiles.com
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I find that hard to believe.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, and it may not be worth anything--but a fella who worked at the Gun Shop in Lancaster told me Kali DOJ keeps the DROS for 30 years.

I told them the 4473 was enough for me, I'll let NC get some sales tax money from me when I left kali.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I called my FFL today and asked him this question for ya.He said they have to shred them after 30 days.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Basically that's what the law states but did ya notice how they could find out exactly who had all those P-22 w/ threaded barrels.............
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Basically that's what the law states but did ya notice how they could find out exactly who had all those P-22 w/ threaded barrels.............

Hand guns in Cali are all regiswtered.  If you own one that is not you can call the doj up to get the proper forms to register it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
30 days for rifle only my friend.Hanguns in Cali are registered so they stay on file until you sell it to someone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top